• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Objectivist friendly and wallet friendly IEM?

Earfonia

Moondrop Starfields arrived today from China. I've had quick listen without EQ and I like them (I have my MEEAudio Pinnacle P1's EQ'd to Oratory1990's target).

View attachment 52741

Note this is not the stock cable. I wanted a balanced cable to using with my ES100 and found this one on Amazon...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07ZQD54XR

I paid £83 for the Starfields (also from Amazon), so total cost was under £97.

How's Starfields compares to the Pinnacle P1 tonality wise? Thanks!

Earfonia

I bought 2x BLON BL-03 last year, Gun Metal (GM) and Silver (Slv). The reason I bought 2 units is I wanted to test the FR consistency between the drivers. Many budget IEMs have very poor FR consistency between units. I measured both of them multiple time, before and after burn-in, and to be honest I was blown away by how close the FR measurement of the 4 drivers (GM Left Right and Slv Left Right). The 4 drivers match between 1.5 dB tolerance. Amazing for $25 IEM. There is no difference before and after burn-in, and here is the FR measurement after burn-in. All drivers I measured at least twice, every time by removing and re-fitting the driver to the IEC60318-4 coupler. So total 8 measurement:

BLON BL-03 Gun Metal and Silver.png

Last edited:

Asylum Seeker

No idea. Never heard the Pinnacles. Sorry.

The Starfields sound, on first impression, balanced. Nothing sticks out as broken, amiss or objectionable. I may prefer the Ikko OH1 but I'll have to A-B them more extensively to make a more informed determination.

I am digging the detail, air and balance of the T3.

The T2 Galaxy sound BLON-ish, but with much better fit, nicer cable and aesthetics (not that the BLON looks bad, mind you).

Keen on getting my hands on the Tin P1 and TRN BA5.

I'll be in SG in two weeks where I hope to take possession of a purchased pair of BGEYZ Spring1, IBasso IT01s and RevoNext QT2s. Hope to audition the VSONIC VS07 and do the rounds at Adelphi.

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Interesting question.

I've been EQing the P1's towards the Harman IE target using Oratory1990's settings (in UAPP with ToneBoosters PEQ) for many weeks. I've been very happy with the P1's setup this way.

I'm not running any EQ for the Starfields, as they are already tuned close to Harman (UAPP running in bitperfect mode) so tonality, at least to my untrained and ageing ears, is essentially the same.

However, what I do notice with the Starfields is a massive increase in bass extension. They don't sound 'bassy', but when bass is required it's there in spades. Frankly, I wasn't expecting this but it's most enjoyable and I'm exceedingly happy with the Starfields. Note: I am using Comply memory foam tips on the Starfields (and the P1's)

Earfonia

I'll be in SG in two weeks where I hope to take possession of a purchased pair of BGEYZ Spring1 and IBasso IT01s. Hope to audition the VSONIC VS07 and do the rounds at Adelphi.

We can arrange a meet whether at Adelphi or Zeppelin at Sim Lim Square, both great places to test portable audio.
PM me if you have time to meet ;)

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@Asylum Seeker MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 & P2.
Tin T2 is still best for price however if really original those cheap Onkyo E700M one's without paper's & box are by far the best option regarding sound quality. I know they won't really last long but still...

Asylum Seeker

FYI, TFZ T2 and BLON BL-03 do have some similarities. Comfort wise TFZ T2 is better for me. But my TFZ T2 driver matching is not as good as the BLON BL-03.

View attachment 53214

After averaging the Left and Right FR curve:
View attachment 53215

TFZ T2 is like BLON BL-03 with more treble.
Good to see my ears were onto something and I am not hearing unicorns. They are very efficient so they are a good option for volume shy portable devices like my tablet. They are very pretty too.

20200308_092829.jpg

Last edited:

Asylum Seeker

@Asylum Seeker MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 & P2.
Tin T2 is still best for price however if really original those cheap Onkyo E700M one's without paper's & box are by far the best option regarding sound quality. I know they won't really last long but still...
No regrets with the T3 for $56. Like the sound, like the build, like the cable, like the fit...

Asylum Seeker

Well, I've now A/B-ed the Starfield vs. the OH1

Starfield - Sweeter, darker, boxier, mellower, more restrained
OH1 - Brighter, leaner, spacious, more sensitive (requires less power), more aggresive

Critically, I listen to quite a bit of piano, particularly Cuban piano. I need the piano to sound alive. The OH1 acquits itself better in that regard.

You wanna take the Starfield off my hands later this month?

Last edited:

Earfonia

Well, I've now A/B-ed the Starfield vs. the OH1

Starfield - warmer, sweeter, darker, boxier.
OH1 - Brighter, leaner, spacious, more sensitive (requires less power).

Critically, I listen to quite a bit of piano, particularly Cuban piano. I need the piano to sound alive. The OH1 acquits itself better in that regard.

You wanna take the Starfield off my hands later this month?

Thanks! How about Starfield vs. BLON BL-03?

Asylum Seeker

Thanks! How about Starfield vs. BLON BL-03?
The Starfields - less bass bloat, less recessed highs, better fit, better cable.

Asylum Seeker

In other words Starfields has better perceived clarity? Tx!
In others words, you should ignore the BLONs if you have more than $30 - SGD40 to you - to spend.

Earfonia

If you like vocal with a little bit strong bass, I would like to recommend Creative Aurvana Trio:
https://sg.creative.com/p/headphones-headsets/aurvana-trio

Not for those who is looking for Etymotic neutralist type of tuning, but more for those who like lively and dynamic type of sound signature with mild V shape tuning. The vocal sounds full bodied on Trio, not thin like many other V shape tuning IEMs.

Aurvana Trio - Blon BL-03 - Yinyoo V2.png

The graph is my measurement of the Left channels of the 3 IEMs.
FYI the stock cable is pretty lousy, so prepare to get new cable when getting the Trio.

Last edited:

Asylum Seeker

BQEYZ KC2
These are now my recommendation for budget IEMs for those who seek a mature, sober balanced sound. Nice treble extension without harshness and, best of all, non-intrusive, bloat-free bass. Good metal build, good fit & comfort, very sensitive ergo good volume on mobile devices and a very decent cable too. All for $40. These are the ones to beat in the segment.

Two DD + Two BA per side
15 Ohm

Attachments

• 20200320_153204.jpg
    20200320_153204.jpg
    806.4 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

Earfonia

BQEYZ KC2
These are now my recommendation for budget IEMs for those who seek a mature, sober balanced sound. Nice treble extension without harshness and non-intrusive, bloat-free bass. Good metal build, good fit & comfort, very sensitive ergo good volume on mobile devices and a very decent cable too. All for $40. These are the ones to beat in the segment.

Two DD + Two BA per side
15 Ohm

How about coherency between the drivers? Is there any part of the spectrum that doesn't sound coherent with the rest? Thanks!

Asylum Seeker

All coherent, nothing broken, as far as I can tell...

And before you ask, yes, these are better than the BLONs...

How about coherency between the drivers? Is there any part of the spectrum that doesn't sound coherent with the rest? Thanks!

Top Bottom