• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Objectivist friendly and wallet friendly IEM?

Asylum Seeker

Ha ha ha... you can read my mind :D Cool!
I am keeping and adding the BQEYZ KC2 to my rotation. The BLONs? I put them up for sale this week. So, there.

Veri

Master Contributor
I am keeping and adding the BQEYZ KC2 to my rotation. The BLONs? I put them up for sale this week. So, there.
I kept my BLONs as beater earphones. I'm never using them at home though, lol. For $30 they're fair, but they don't compare to headphones.

Asylum Seeker

My beaters are now the KC2. I may order a second pair, in fact...

I kept my BLONs as beater earphones. I'm never using them at home though, lol. For $30 they're fair, but they don't compare to headphones.

Asylum Seeker

How's the fit and comfort?
27th March AliExpress anniversary sale... hmmm :)
Fit - very good
Comfort - very good

I am serious; there are no showstoppers with these. But if you like bloomy bass bloat (BBB), you will be unhappy with these. They have the bass that is actually in the music.

Looking to the Fiio FA1 as my next fix...

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Friends. Just don't look any iems other than moondrop and etymotic. Other iems are literally jokes.
You seem to know your stuff on IEMs @JohnYang1997 . 2 questions if you dont mind:

1. Ever encountered a german brand- Horluchs/ Hoerluchs- seeing lots on Amazon Warehouse with good discounts but still expensive but no reviews. Think targeted at pros
2. Want to try a pair of Etymotic. Straight to ER4 SR or is there mileage in the ER2 or 3?

Many thanks . J

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
You seem to know your stuff on IEMs @JohnYang1997 . 2 questions if you dont mind:

1. Ever encountered a german brand- Horluchs/ Hoerluchs- seeing lots on Amazon Warehouse with good discounts but still expensive but no reviews. Think targeted at pros
2. Want to try a pair of Etymotic. Straight to ER4 SR or is there mileage in the ER2 or 3?

Many thanks . J
1, Sorry I haven't. But even Neumann's headphones aren't well tuned. So I wouldn't be surprised if those aren't well tuned either.
2, I recommend 2se and 4xr for first time. Later on they can decide wether stay in 2se/4xr or go 4sr. There's no better or worse here. In fact 2se/xr has much lower distortion than 4sr/xr.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
1, Sorry I haven't. But even Neumann's headphones aren't well tuned. So I wouldn't be surprised if those aren't well tuned either.
2, I recommend 2se and 4xr for first time. Later on they can decide wether stay in 2se/4xr or go 4sr. There's no better or worse here. In fact 2se/xr has much lower distortion than 4sr/xr.
Cheers !

jonfitch

What about the Sony Mh755. It's cheap and follows the Harman curve pretty closely.

Earfonia

I recommend 2se and 4xr for first time. Later on they can decide wether stay in 2se/4xr or go 4sr. There's no better or worse here. In fact 2se/xr has much lower distortion than 4sr/xr.

My brother has both ER4SR and ER4XR. Borrowed them both for 3 days and used them for few hours. Somehow I cannot enjoy my music with any of them. They are very dry sounding. Not about tonality or frequency response, I have ER2XR that sounds fine for me with similar Ety house tuning. But ER4 series has that dryness in the sound that makes everything sounds dry and not enjoyable.

What do you think that dryness can be associated with? Is it short decay? Or is it odd harmonic? We cannot see that dry sound characteristic from frequency response curve, nothing to do with FR tuning.

Do you have any idea what BA driver used in ER4SR and ER4XR? Thanks!

Earfonia

What about the Sony Mh755. It's cheap and follows the Harman curve pretty closely.

I have MH755, 2 units, fun enjoyable sound but a bit too bassy and the midrange a bit muffled for my preference, just a bit. I think it is ok for casual listening. But I hate the short cable.

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
My brother has both ER4SR and ER4XR. Borrowed them both for 3 days and used them for few hours. Somehow I cannot enjoy my music with any of them. They are very dry sounding. Not about tonality or frequency response, I have ER2XR that sounds fine for me with similar Ety house tuning. But ER4 series has that dryness in the sound that makes everything sounds dry and not enjoyable.

What do you think that dryness can be associated with? Is it short decay? Or is it odd harmonic? We cannot see that dry sound characteristic from frequency response curve, nothing to do with FR tuning.

Do you have any idea what BA driver used in ER4SR and ER4XR? Thanks!
They don't sound dry to me. In fact er2se sounds drier to my ears. If you are referring to the "hard" but not thick sound, yes it is. It's the actual etymotic sound. Get use to it. Er2xr differs too much from etymotic sound.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
That's the only Ety I can enjoy.
You can try laying on something face up for a half sleep of 30 minutes or so while listening to er4sr. When you wake up you should be used to the sound. Human hearing can change very drastically. The process is enhanced while sleeping and can be semi permanent until next time.

Earfonia

You can try laying on something face up for a half sleep of 30 minutes or so while listening to er4sr. When you wake up you should be used to the sound.

Ha ha ha... I tried... not sleeping but using them for a long period of time. Still cannot 'accept or enjoy' that 'hard' or 'dry' sound. I prefer to follow my natural preference. not to manipulate myself to follow certain sound signature that I don't naturally like.

So what we associate that 'hard' or 'dry' sound with? I mean what parameter that can be measure to observe that hard sound signature?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Ha ha ha... I tried... not sleeping but using them for a long period of time. Still cannot 'accept or enjoy' that 'hard' or 'dry' sound. I prefer to follow my natural preference. not to manipulate myself to follow certain sound signature that I don't naturally like.

So what we associate that 'hard' or 'dry' sound with? I mean what parameter that can be measure to observe that hard sound signature?
Simply the frequency response. 2xr is just too dark.

Earfonia

Simply the frequency response. 2xr is just too dark.

I agree 2XR is a bit dark and I do prefer a bit more of treble sparkle and extension. But I find BA and dynamic driver has different 'dryness' characteristic. So I don't think it is frequency response. Some dynamic driver IEM that sounds bright don't sound 'hard' like bright BA driver IEMs. I guess it is odd harmonic or decay's speed, but I don't have the equipment and setup to measure those.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I agree 2XR is a bit dark and I do prefer a bit more of treble sparkle and extension. But I find BA and dynamic driver has different 'dryness' characteristic. So I don't think it is frequency response. Some dynamic driver IEM that sounds bright don't sound 'hard' like bright BA driver IEMs. I guess it is odd harmonic or decay's speed, but I don't have the equipment and setup to measure those.
It increases the 2-4k region which will sound hard. 2xr is recessed from 2khz up to top end.

Top Bottom