• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nuprime STA-100 power amp... anyone uses these?

cyclo

I am looking for a higher output, reliable, relatively cheap 2 channel amplifier and the Nuprime STA-100 seems like a nice option... 2 x 100W 8 ohms and 2 x 150W at 4 ohms. Has anyone here have experience with these or any Nuprime amps for that matter?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Check out Boxem?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have nothing against Nuprime in particular, but it sure is nice to have real measurements.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess my question is why would you buy it? It is a Class D, but of unknown design and manufacture. For the same $649 US (actually less) you could get, from one of several vendors that are regularly on this site, a Hypex NC252MP based amplifier which is rated at 150w per channel into 8 ohms and 250 watts into 4 ohms. The NC252MP has been measured and is a known excellent performer. For 99% of users, the NC252MP is more than they will ever need.

For those curious, I found an internal shot of the Nuprime.

STA-100-PCB_3.jpg

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have nothing against Nuprime in particular
Well, I do. This brand just sucks. I'm the past owner of STA-9s (a pair), DAC-9, CDP-9 and HPA-9. Each of the units had their own issues, the biggest being quite a significant hum noise and ground loops from both DAC-9 and STA-9s.
but it sure is nice to have real measurements.
You don't wanna know. The very few available say 1) they don't match power specs. 2) when they do, they measure terrible.

I am looking for a higher output, reliable
Then, look elsewhere. For the price of some STA-100, you may get a NC252MP power amp from the assembler of your choice. It will run circles around anything Nuprime may produce.
Dealer is reputable and stands by the products they sell.
Any dealer does. That's their job.

Check out Boxem?
boXem nCore are discontinued.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
cyclo

cyclo

Thanks for the feedbacks... keep them coming whether it is positive or negative. I have had positive experiences with class D amps... I have a Monoprice 100 powering the Buttkickers on my chair, the Sledge 800W powering the SVS PB3000 and recently got an Aiyima A07. No issues with any of these so far.... knock on wood. This is the reason I am considering a class D amp for my main setup... It will be replacing a Marantz PM-94 which is starting to have issues after almost 3 decades of service.

Short38

Owned an MCH-K38. Physical unit hummed, power supply. Had a magic treatment applied and it still hummed. No hum at speaker output but the physical device noise drove me nuts. Also owned a CDP-9 hyper sensitive to static.

Ibanez

I owned two STA-9:s and was running them in mono operation for the front L-r from my Maratnz SR7010, had no issues at all. No humming, or other issues, dead silent, converted rca to xlr, but when changed to Nord NC500 MK2:s and compared them side by side, I sold the STA-9:s. The sound was from the Nords is so much cleaner. But for the price they are good, and if you like the warmer sound from them they are good for the price they had back then (2016-2017). And NuPrime is not that uncommon what I know, they have many resellers here in Sweden, and rest of EU.
I say, if you can , ask if you can make an home loan and test them in your setup, if you like them, you buy them. They are not bad, though some horror stories on the net, how many units is sold that is still in use, and working without any issue? That you will never hear about.
And if they were that bad the company would have been long gone.

OP
cyclo

cyclo

Thanks for the feedback and suggestion… I might try to reach out to the local dealer… maybe they will let me audition a unit for a few days and then I can decide if its a keeper or not.

anibal66

Forum Donor
For some reason second hand Nuprimes have high-ish second hand values in Europe.

My most wanted review in ASR would be still the IDA-8 integrated, with digital inputs.

I still own a Nuforce (whose higher end range became Nuprime) DDA-100 as spare amp, low power but wonderful usability, and had for many years the Nuforce Ref9 pre+monos, great sound but I hated all those cables and boxes. Sold them for a great price.

On the other side, the arrival of the Hypex/Purifi/... modules has added a degree of technical transparency to the market, so I would think twice -or try first- before buying even a brand I know.

Ibanez

Yes, the hypex based amps like my Nord Acoustics NC500 MK2, and the two NC400 DIY are really good amps, and I mean really good. I bought all my amps second hand.

Top Bottom