• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Now I understand why people love the tri-flange tips from Etymotic

shinewu

In short, I think they do following:

* Boost the low end, especially the region close to mids. The typical Sennheiser sound.
* Open up high end a bit, which improves the sound stage noticeably.

In short, they add a bit U shape into the sound. I personally feel the bass becomes a bit too strong. But overall, I prefer their sound signature over foam now. Just the comfort is urrrh.

KeithPhantom

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In my case, I really enjoyed them (they EQ extremely well), but hated the comfort with either any of the included tips or any aftermarket solutions and the deep insertion in general. I think my ears do not really like deep insertion.

max233

How long did you give it? It took me a few days for my ears to get used to them. Like a good pair of boots, once your feet get broke in, you'll have a friend for life.

Fregly

My ears get more bass with the triple flange than shown in the Ety graph (there's plenty, anyway), and I always wonder when people talk about anemic lows from Etymotic. I have some of the newer doubles I have yet to try.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use the triple flange tips too, I find them more comfortable and noise isolation is still way better than most. On bass I find the ER4SR is superb. It is not bass lite, it is not bass boosted, a completely different concept. I find the ER4SR bass much more natural sounding for classical music, which is what I mostly listen to. Boosted bass has its place for music genres that crank the bass up but for acoustic and non-amplified music it sounds unnatural and too bass heavy.

Top Bottom