• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Not audio related. My dog just killed a skunk

analogonly

@DonH56: "Skunks carry rabies, make sure your dog's shots are current." Hate be that guy, but @Brian Hall, dig up that skunk carefully (wear gloves) and get it to animal control to be tested for rabies. In your location, they might want to test for other pathogens as well.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
@DonH56: "Skunks carry rabies, make sure your dog's shots are current." Hate be that guy, but @Brian Hall, dig up that skunk carefully (wear gloves) and get it to animal control to be tested for rabies. In your location, they might want to test for other pathogens as well.
Good vinyl'ish gloves and sealed bags! Plague and other nasty things could also be present.

pinger

I've been there. It is 100% the opposite of a pleasant experience. Tomato juice doesn't help near as well as people claim.
Years ago we had a cat sprayed directly by a skunk. Just used shampoo and warm water. Worked great.

DonR

Major Contributor
No skunks where I live but we had a couple of mountain lions kill a herd of sheep across the road. Took them about 10 seconds and the whole family slept through it.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Years ago we had a cat sprayed directly by a skunk. Just used shampoo and warm water. Worked great.
Glad you were able to get the cat smell off the skunk. :)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Glad you were able to get the cat smell off the skunk. :)

I thought of a similar dad joke but thought better of it.

Like:
Did you blow dry the skunk’s hair too?
Or:
Bet the other skunks were jealous of the lavender pot pourri smell afterwards

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
It's very worrying how you can proudly announce that your dog just killed a skunk. That says a lot about the person. Likewise about those who stand and applaud. Glad it made your day.
Who trusted God was love indeed
And love Creation's final law
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and claw
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed.

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
People go on about dangerous animals in Australia. Sure there are plenty that'll kill you, but...

1708123388018.jpeg

and then i remembered the guy that bareknuckled a 'roo that attacked his dog...
1708123470176.gif

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Who trusted God was love indeed
And love Creation's final law
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and claw
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed.
Love your quote!

Although, it did give me paws (pun) to picture someone's pet dog killing an unsuspecting skunk as fitting within Tennyson's idea of nature.

(But, Jack London pulled off the dog thing very well with Buck!)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wish I had your good dog at times, have neighborhood skunk(s?) that occasionally visit the bushes under my bedroom window and I guess the neighborhood cats (far too many of those that like to also do that) get its tail up....lovely smell to wake up to. Then again if the good dog got squirted that would probably be worse than just shutting my window as I like to leave it open year round. We have no shortages of skunks that I can tell, have seen quite a few squished on the roads near me.

AudiOhm

I have had 3 dogs in the past 30 years, all of them have been sprayed by skunks.
There is only 1 guaranteed solution, Hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and dish soap.

"Chemist Paul Krebaum discovered a solution that changes the odorous thiols into odorless acids, thereby chemically neutralizing the skunk odor. The formula is: 1 quart of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide (fresh bottle), • ¼ cup of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), and • 1-2 teaspoons of liquid dish soap"

This worked 100%, only 2 applications and the smell is gone...

Ohms

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
you guys have bears, coyotes, wolves, raccoons and skunks
Don't forget porcupines. Here in the northeast of the USA there really is not anything to worry about for a normal human smart enough to leave wildlife alone. But for dogs it can be gauntlet out there. My dogs have had unfortunate run-ins with skunks and porcupines, no fun. Also my dog had one of her her jowls punctured in a nasty encounter with something. Probably a beaver, as we were walking along a river that has beavers. After that she salivated down the outside of her face for some time. Vet didn't know what to do about it but thankfully it resolved itself.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
People go on about dangerous animals in Australia. Sure there are plenty that'll kill you...

Generally, I've found that the two-legged animals are the most dangerous. At least in a domestic-oriented setting.

As a kid, on my grandfather's Tennessee farm, I once popped a skunk with a Winchester using a .22LR hollow point round (while hunting groundhogs). Dropped immediately. No residuals. At least until the vultures came to feast, next day. If I had it to do again, knowing now what I now know, I'd probably have let it just wander off.

Despite my best efforts, my dog has killed... one possum...

Set to music: Blue chased a possum up a holler limb, the possum growled, Blue whined at him...

DonR

Major Contributor
Generally, I've found that the two-legged animals are the most dangerous. At least in a domestic-oriented setting.

As a kid, on my grandfather's Tennessee farm, I once popped a skunk with a Winchester using a .22LR hollow point round (while hunting groundhogs). Dropped immediately. No residuals. At least until the vultures came to feast, next day. If I had it to do again, knowing now what I now know, I'd probably have let it just wander off.

Set to music: Blue chased a possum up a holler limb, the possum growled, Blue whined at him...

Vultures are something else. Imagine eating rotting flesh to survive and a skunk no less. They are majestic at a distance and massive up close.

Philbo King

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The dead deer I dragged into the woods is slowly being eaten. Coyotes or foxes probably.

Top Bottom