• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Not audio related. My dog just killed a skunk

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I live out in the country at the base of a mountain close to a very small town in Southeast Oklahoma (population < 2800). Lots of wild animals around here, wolves, foxes, bears, possums, coyotes, raccoons and of course skunks. I heard my dog barking more than usual. Opened the back door and he was rapidly circling a skunk, barking constantly. He is an adopted stray, half pit bull, half bird dog and very fast. He managed to stay in front of the skunk so it couldn't spray him and jumped in and killed the skunk with a quick bite to the neck without getting sprayed. I don't know if you are familiar with skunks, but that is quite a feat. Like I said, not audio related, but I'm impressed by my dogs talents and I'm happy about not having to deal with the smell from a skunk spraying close to my house or having to clean it from my dog. Just came in from burying the skunk. Fun night. I love living in the country surrounded by forest.

OP
Brian Hall

Brian Hall

Forum Donor
20240214_234859.jpg

Sorry for the bad picture quality. I didn't have the flash turned on, but managed to catch the end.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Nicely done!

I had a Rottweiler who had the same interest in killing skunks, but not the skill to avoid the spray.

For those who haven't had the pleasure of having to clean a dog sprayed by a skunk, you just haven't lived.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I live out in the country at the base of a mountain close to a very small town in Southeast Oklahoma (population < 2800). Lots of wild animals around here, wolves, foxes, bears, possums, coyotes, raccoons and of course skunks. I heard my dog barking more than usual. Opened the back door and he was rapidly circling a skunk, barking constantly. He is an adopted stray, half pit bull, half bird dog and very fast. He managed to stay in front of the skunk so it couldn't spray him and jumped in and killed the skunk with a quick bite to the neck without getting sprayed. I don't know if you are familiar with skunks, but that is quite a feat. Like I said, not audio related, but I'm impressed by my dogs talents and I'm happy about not having to deal with the smell from a skunk spraying close to my house or having to clean it from my dog. Just came in from burying the skunk. Fun night. I love living in the country surrounded by forest.
Now that's one fast dog!
Good Boy, Good Boy. ;)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
People go on about dangerous animals in Australia. Sure there are plenty that'll kill you, but you guys have bears, coyotes, wolves, raccoons and skunks and they kill, maim or stink you out too. Are skunks feral/pests or protected over there?

We've got those wretched cane toads which can easily kill a dog if they bite/lick the poison. Our big Bernese hasn't killed anything to my knowledge- he tries to chase wallabies and 'roos, but doesn't get anywhere near them. And possums are way too fast, as are the snakes.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I've been there. It is 100% the opposite of a pleasant experience. Tomato juice doesn't help near as well as people claim.

The trick is you have to let the tomato juice dry, so the enzymes have a chance to do their work. We got better at it as the years went by.

Are skunks feral/pests or protected over there?

They are not protected. I've never had an issue sharing space with whatever animals happen to live nearby, but my dogs have had other thoughts.

OP
Brian Hall

Brian Hall

Forum Donor
Now that's one fast dog!
Good Boy, Good Boy. ;)

He is the fastest dog I have ever had the pleasure to share my life with. One of my grandaughters said I should name him Hunter and she was right. From opening the door to let him out, he can reach and kill a rabbit 4 feet from the fence before it can get out.

The bad part is that he insists on eating the entire rabbit before coming back inside and then throwing up the ex rabbit.

He was a stray that someone abandoned and apparently tried to kill. He showed up on my porch in January about 4 years ago when it was 15 degrees outside whining. He was skin and bones and had a circular depression on the top of his head like someone hit him with a hammer. I took him to the vet and got some medicine for him. He recovered quickly and has been a great companion and watch dog since then.

He has the head and build of a pit bull with a lot longer body and tail and colorings of a bird dog. Very strong jaws that can bite through an armadillo shell with ease. He is great with people except for being overly excited and wanting to be the center of attention.

My previous dog was also a stray that showed up in winter. That one was a cross between a rottweiler and a doberman according to the vet. Most relaxed, happy and peaceful dog I have ever known. Lived to 15.

Don't ever turn away a stray dog that chooses you. They will be a better companion than anything you can get from a breeder.

Exaybachay

It's very worrying how you can proudly announce that your dog just killed a skunk. That says a lot about the person. Likewise about those who stand and applaud. Glad it made your day.

OP
Brian Hall

Brian Hall

Forum Donor
It's very worrying how you can proudly announce that your dog just killed a skunk. That says a lot about the person. Likewise about those who stand and applaud. Glad it made your day.

I did not mean to imply that I was overly proud about it. I usually shine a light outside first before I let him out. I had just received a phone call and skipped on that step because he really wanted out. I love most of the wild animals around here and have raccoons that come to my porch and eat out of my hand. It bothers me when he catches and kills a rabbit.

I'm not overly fond of skunks although I have accidentally petted one once without ill effects. I had a cat that was friends with a particular skunk and it would come up in my yard with the cat. It rubbed up against my chair and I reached down to pet it without looking. The fur felt wrong, looked down and realized I was petting a wild skunk. Fun times. You don't know whether to continue petting it or to stop and get away.

Anyway, lighten up. I see your icon is a native American. I am from Oklahoma and have Cherokee and Choctaw ancestors as well as German and Irish.

OP
Brian Hall

Brian Hall

Forum Donor

Dogs are predators by nature. Normally I do all I can to keep him from having the opportunity to catch and kill prey animals. That is going against nature and his instincts and I'm sure it bothers him. Am I right in denying him access to prey animals or am I a bad person for slipping up every now and then accidentally giving him the chance to pursue his true nature?

I would never have intentionally set him loose after seeing a skunk in the yard because I would not want to deal with the smell and cleanup if the skunk had been able to spray him. I'm not crazy. I'm very glad he was not sprayed.

Is my dog bad for following his instincts to catch and kill prey animals? I have tried to explain that I like rabbits and would prefer he not kill them. He just looks at me like I am crazy while wagging his really long tail.

Despite my best efforts, my dog has killed one armadillo, one possum, several rabbits, one guinea hen, one blue jay and now one skunk. The blue jay was the most impressive. I had no idea he could jump that high and catch it in the air.

Exaybachay

Thanks for explaining. Of course something like that can happen and I understand you are glad he didn't get sprayed. I also appreciate that in general you don't encourage your dog to kill. Like you and me that skunk had only one life and killing should just never be something to laugh about. Sometimes it is necessary. I agree on that.

You actually look very German. I would have guessed you are. And an avatar is just an avatar. it's not always telling the truth.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Oh please. :facepalm:

D

Deleted member 48726

I don't think you needed to add "Not audio related" to the title to be honest..:p

OP
Brian Hall

Brian Hall

Forum Donor
I don't think you needed to add "Not audio related" to the title to be honest..:p

To be accurate I should probably remove that since my dog was producing a lot of very audible audio during the event as he circled the skunk. I don't think a pleasant recording could be produced.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Dogs still have wild instincts. Through the years various cats have killed far more other animals (mainly birds) than our dogs. Blaming the owner or somehow shaming him for hurting "mother earth" due to the actions of another animal seems misplaced.

Skunks carry rabies, make sure your dog's shots are current.

Dogs sprayed by skunks is one thing, but the worst I have dealt with was porcupine quills in the mouth and nose. At like 11 pm on our Lab's last bathroom trip before bed, natch, leading to an emergency vet visit that lasted until around 3 am. The porcupine wandered off and I let it, not really out of any shame in killing a wild animal in the yard that my kids also play in, but because I was focused on caring for my dog.

Philbo King

Cool story. I have a couple of recent ones too.
While coming back from the mailbox, I saw a red fox sleeping in our yard. I raised its head to watch me as I walked back to the house, but didn't stir otherwise.
Yesterday I found a dead deer in the back yard who had tangled a hoof in the chain link fence. I untangled it, and used a garden tractor and rope to drag it into the woods. I'm hoping to spot scavengers feeding on the carcass in the coming days.

Axo1989

Major Contributor

Yes, at least one for the ignore list, ffs.

Top Bottom