• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Noise from speakers

benzxc

Hello All:

Hoping I can find a solution to this that has been bugging me for the past few days.

There is this noise from my speakers whenever I insert my preamp into the system. I have two preamps and they both have noise, but they sound a little different and the noise level is different. However, when I use the integrated power amp with no preamp, the system is dead quiet. The sound with the preamp in is more than audible from my listening position, but when I turn on the air conditioning or dehumidifier I do not notice it.

There is a ground lift in one of my preamps so I tried that and no change.

My integrated amp has an "integrated" and "power" switch. When I use the power switch, the noise changes when I change the volume on the preamp. When I use the integrated switch, the noise changes when I change the volume on the power amp and not the preamp.

I love the sound of my system but this has been bugging me to no end. I am not certain if this is a new issue because I usually listen with air conditioning on, but I noticed it over the weekend when I turned off the air conditioning to listen to music to get a lower noise floor and that was when I noticed this.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Ben

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Please can you describe the nature of the noise? Is it a buzz, hum, whistle or hiss (or something else)?

Perhaps some other details, such as kit, distance from the speakers etc. If you have an integrated amp, how do you plug in the preamplifiers, are you using a separate power amplifier when using the preamplifiers?

OP
B

benzxc

I would describe it as a buzz.

My speakers are the Mofi Sourcepoint 10
My preamps are Audion Premier 0.5 Line Level Pre-Amplifier / Musical Paradise MP 701 MK2
My amp is the Musical Paradise MP501 V5

I simply plug in the preamp to the amp using RCA cables. The amp has a power amp mode and an integrated amp.

My listening position is about 6 feet from the speakers.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Then it does seem like an earth loop. One of the major benefit of integrated amps is only one mains lead. You are using RCAs so it's not balanced working. Is there an open to use XLRs and balanced working? Have you tried swapping the cables for a different brand?

Eliminating earth loops is a matter of trial and error. The simplest approach is to go to balanced working. You might also try with just the preamplifier connected and no other sources.

OP
B

benzxc

Thank you! The noise is still persisting but I am turning my AC on now until I get this solved!

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
My preamps are Audion Premier 0.5 Line Level Pre-Amplifier / Musical Paradise MP 701 MK2
My amp is the Musical Paradise MP501 V5
All IEC Class I devices, so unless the MP501 uses input transformers you're kind of screwed. You'd have to add some external line-level transformers, both at the power amp input and (in all likelihood) at the input that is being fed from a streamer / PC / DAC as well.

The Audio Premium 0.5 is like 3 grand? That's taking the piss as our Aussie friends would say.

All in all, a very poor showing for the amount of money that's gone into the system. Way too much exotica for my taste. What happened to using an ordinary good-quality integrated amp with the inputs you want from a major manufacturer with a proven track record?

OP
B

benzxc

All IEC Class I devices, so unless the MP501 uses input transformers you're kind of screwed. You'd have to add some external line-level transformers, both at the power amp input and (in all likelihood) at the input that is being fed from a streamer / PC / DAC as well.

The Audio Premium 0.5 is like 3 grand? That's taking the piss as our Aussie friends would say.

All in all, a very poor showing for the amount of money that's gone into the system. Way too much exotica for my taste. What happened to using an ordinary good-quality integrated amp with the inputs you want from a major manufacturer with a proven track record?
Thanks for your input. I'll look into the line-level transformers.

OP
B

benzxc

So I managed to isolate the noise. It is coming from the Audion preamp. The Musical Paradise Preamp is silent at all listenable levels, although it does get a bit of hissing when turned all the way up, but that is above any reasonable listening levels.

I've sent the Audio Preamp back to the dealer to get it checked. Hopefully this issue can be fixed. It is unfortunate that equipment that costs as much as the Audion preamp does not function as intended.

OP
B

benzxc

Clearly we have different tastes, and that is perfectly fine! The Audion Preamp was more a purchase for aesthetics than anything else. It just looked gorgeous (to me) and I know it is crazy expensive and probably doesn't sound anything different from my existing Musical Paradise Preamp, but it just one of those purchases.

Honestly, almost all of my equipment is from Musical Paradise (no association at all) and I've always found them to be quite reliable and reasonably priced. I do not know much about the hifi audio world, so I do not have much of a point of reference, but I've always enjoyed the music from my system. The Audion purchase was my first foray into higher end products and it has been a stressful one thus far. I find it unacceptable that the Audion is not working as intended. At this price point, at the very least, I'd expect the equipment to have no issues at all. Hopefully the dealer will be able to fix it up.

May I ask what you are referring to when you say ordinary good quality integrated amps? Any examples? I've only used Musical Paradise amplifiers (and a Decware, Bottlehead) and haven't had the desire to change or buy new amps so do not know much about other brands.

Last edited:
Top Bottom