• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Noise from input, how to isolate?

Here's my issue hopefully a jpg can explain it

Untitled.jpg

My issue is both methods give noise (noise floor?) which is noticeable and I'm wondering what actions can be done to lower this noise with realtime software?
I don't care if audio quality is reduced for PS4 pro.
Wanna be able to turn up my Fiio x3 with music playing while PS4 at lower volume WITHOUT hearing noise and YES it's very noticeable at higher volumes.

Actions took:
Any Volume adjustment through LG Monitor = same noise
Adjusting Line-in Volume: 100% = -62db , 50% = -73db , 0% = -79db
Replacing 3.5 Cord = Same Result
VB Output as 16/44.1 (instead of 24/44.1) = Same noise

The noise is gone ONLY when "line in" is disabled. Right now I have no other way to output PS4 Audio other than passthrough to Fiio X3 as I wear headphones.

Untitled2.jpg

Veri

Master Contributor
I think it is your ADC/line-in that is noisy. Not uncommon on motherboards. At least that's what I think.
Solution, find another way for ADC, like a cheap focusrite interface. Just my thought, might wanna wait for more replies.

PS any reason for the whole line-out to line-in? Why not go straight PS4 spdif into a DAC?

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't really follow what you are trying to do here, sorry.

1. You want to use the FiiO X3 as your DAC/headphone amp connected to your PC via USB.
2. You want mix the audio from your music software playback with the analogue from your PC motherboard line in (PS4).

What are you using to mix the two signals?
What is this "pass through " you talk of?

OP
M
I think it is your ADC/line-in that is noisy. Not uncommon on motherboards. At least that's what I think.
Solution, find another way for ADC, like a cheap focusrite interface. Just my thought, might wanna wait for more replies.

PS any reason for the whole line-out to line-in? Why not go straight PS4 spdif into a DAC?

I never looked for spdif on my MB Sound card. I notice its there thank you!

However I don't own any spdif cords or never used once in my life so cord limitations I should look out for?

OP
M
I don't really follow what you are trying to do here, sorry.

1. You want to use the FiiO X3 as your DAC/headphone amp connected to your PC via USB.
2. You want mix the audio from your music software playback with the analogue from your PC motherboard line in (PS4).

What are you using to mix the two signals?
What is this "pass through " you talk of?

because LG is a computer monitor it doesn't come with built in speakers. I want to be able to play PS4 audio into my Fiio x3 without that noise and I'm wondering if there's Realtime software to reduce this noise!

Pass through is my bad I meant "Listen to this device" it's the only way I know of passing audio through one device to another in Windows

Untitled.jpg

Veri

Master Contributor
I never looked for spdif on my MB Sound card. I notice its there thank you!

However I don't own any spdif cords or never used once in my life so cord limitations I should look out for?
First make sure you have an input and not only outputs.

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't think you will have a S/PDIF input on your motherboard, they are generally outputs only.
It's an output only - that picture - standard. Outputs.

OK, so analogue audio coming into motherboard.
You'll probably want to have the Line In volume to 0% for that, it's a line level output from the LG TV/Playstation.

So the FiiO has an option for "listen to this device" in Windows, and you just select "motherboard line in" or whatever it's called.
You could set up a VST plugin to clean up some noise, using VSTHost. Run the Line in into VSTHost, use a free VST like the ones from Reaper, send the output to VBCable and then in the FiiO "listen to this device" choose the VBCable.

There will be some latency/lag, but I think you already have a little bit anyway. It might be annoyingly laggy, maybe not.

OP
M
I don't think you will have a S/PDIF input on your motherboard, they are generally outputs only.
It's an output only - that picture - standard. Outputs.

OK, so analogue audio coming into motherboard.
You'll probably want to have the Line In volume to 0% for that, it's a line level output from the LG TV/Playstation.

So the FiiO has an option for "listen to this device" in Windows, and you just select "motherboard line in" or whatever it's called.
You could set up a VST plugin to clean up some noise, using VSTHost. Run the Line in into VSTHost, use a free VST like the ones from Reaper, send the output to VBCable and then in the FiiO "listen to this device" choose the VBCable.

There will be some latency/lag, but I think you already have a little bit anyway. It might be annoyingly laggy, maybe not.

VB audio cable is the middle man between Line in (ps4) and Fiio x3 output. Basically when "listen to device" is selected from Line In THEY must be bit/sample perfect or else Line-In audio gets cut off when DAC switches bit/sample. VB allows me to take input of my choose (16/44.1) and output to X3 with another bit/sample without audio cut out.

JRiver w/ ASIO switches DAC between 16/24 bit & 44.1/192 khz , VB Audio allows JRiver w/ ASIO to switch the DAC while playing PS4 audio.

Also I will try VSTHost thank you!

Top Bottom