• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nobsound, shit or great?

WDeranged

I tried one of those dirt cheap Nobsound class d amps you can get from Amazon. Was not a good result. My 15 year old surround amp was way better. A modern day Yamaha A-S301 is insanely better.

norcalscott

Forum Donor
I think it is hit or miss with companies like Nobsound - I took a chance a couple of months ago and purchased a Nobsound Subwoofer amp - NS-03G and am using that with an old Dell laptop power supply, to replace a failed 10 inch subwoofer plate amp. It actually works well directly driving the sub speaker, sounds as good or better than the original Polk plate amp.

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
With the current generation's confusion about the informal expression nob, the word knob and its use as a euphemism, I think Nobsound should seriously consider a name change.

Loathecliff

With the current generation's confusion about the informal expression nob, the word knob and its use as a euphemism, I think Nobsound should seriously consider a name change.
Knosound? - - (maybe not, as they will then consider themselves covered for DOA items).

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Bought one of these for my Son for TV use with a pair of old speakers. Probably outperforms most soundbars. Still working fine.

norcalscott

Forum Donor
Agreed with the name change - For a long time, I thought it was "Nobosound" which is not terrible, but "Nobsound" is, well, a terrible name. :facepalm:

Ugg

Just thought I'd add something as this is the only decent source of info about these cheapass amps. Got a NS-14G from ebay "opened not used" guess it was used for about 30s and when they heard the noise coming out of it they just boxed it back up. Turns out the 19v supply was putting out 20v with 0.3v peak to peak noise at 1 and 2khz (and some 50hz hum too) replaced with a not toooo cheap 12v supply and it sounds great :D

DavidH

Forum Donor
Due to a stupid miscalculation in scale, I'd had a pair of new Kef Q350s sitting unused in their box for quite a while. A few months ago I bought a Nobsound TA-21 to drive these Kefs in a large bedroom. The sound from this 'Bluetooth stereo speaker' is great (IMO better than my, admittedly prettier, wooden Naim Muso 2). Thanks to the Nobsound and Roon Arc, the Kefs now have daily use.

I think the TA-21 is superb for the price. I've not tried it with poor speakers.

eswaroop

Hi everyone!
I came by this Chinese audio/Hi-Fi make, Called Nobsound!
My question is if it is useable or if it is trash?

And if the results are bad on Paper, does that mean that it sounds bad for the Human ear?!!!

I have a pair of home made Speakers, witch sound great for me! So would it make a difference using my Speakers with a very good Amp or with Nobsound or similar?
An old thread but would like to share my experience so far - I’ve had much better luck with these than most people on the thread it seems - their A2 Pro is a nice sounding unit though they don’t make it any more I think - I take hardware for what it is and don’t mind non branded or startup brands - hard to say something is junk just because of who or where it’s made.

If we do give these folks who are trying to build reasonable gear then here’s what I’ve found

1) The A2 pro unit is fairly well built.
2) Sound quality is good but it takes about 20 - 50 hours of play to properly break in - sound is not great at get go - for those who give up there that’s a miss.
3) The power supplies seem to be the weak link in many of these Chinese class D units - Get / build a high quality DC supply and you will be blown away by the upgrade
4) the rated power is not what you get on the unit ( probably more like 40-50 W rms ) the power supply above maybe a reason
5) pair with the right speakers - low impedance low sensitivity towers harder to drive - I have these hooked up to a pair of altec Madrid’s and I keep coming back to this setup to enjoy !

eswaroop

Don’t pair with low impedance low sensitivity speakers is what I meant to say

DACslut

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255801005971202.html?spm

I had no problems driving a "quad pair" of Sony 6Ω SS-CS5's (4 speakers total with each set connected in parallel thereby halving their impedance) and tested thoroughly at outdoor party sound levels with the volume knob dialed at a minimum of 3/4 gain! The opamp (OPA1656) rolled unit remained slightly lukewarm and sounded nothing short of incredible. The source used was a XDuoo X3 DAP. I've since recently given the setup minus the X3 to my buddy who's Mom recently passed away and he's loving it. I'd really be missing it except I just just picked up an AIYIMA T8/A08 Pro combo that's connected to a subwoofer reinforced pair of JBL Stage A130's for my basement mancave ensemble. I consider most of Nobsound/Douk Audio's offerings to be the budget "Little Brother" equivalent to most of Aiyima's product catalog with this unit most definitely being an exception.

eswaroop

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255801005971202.html?spm

I had no problems driving a "quad pair" of Sony 6Ω SS-CS5's (4 speakers total with each set connected in parallel thereby halving their impedance) and tested thoroughly at outdoor party sound levels with the volume knob dialed at a minimum of 3/4 gain! The opamp (OPA1656) rolled unit remained slightly lukewarm and sounded nothing short of incredible. The source used was a XDuoo X3 DAP. I've since recently given the setup minus the X3 to my buddy who's Mom recently passed away and he's loving it. I'd really be missing it except I just just picked up an AIYIMA T8/A08 Pro combo that's connected to a subwoofer reinforced pair of JBL Stage A130's for my basement mancave ensemble. I consider most of Nobsound/Douk Audio's offerings to be the budget "Little Brother" equivalent to most of Aiyima's product catalog with this unit most definitely being an exception.
Nice ! I didn’t know I could swap the op amp out - need to give that a shot - have you tried the 1612 as well and settle on the 1656 ?

eswaroop

Nice ! I didn’t know I could swap the op amp out - need to give that a shot - have you tried the 1612 as well and settle on the 1656 ?
Ah you are referring to the amp in your link not necessarily the A2 Pro . I think I have a couple of these ones in the link as well - I found the bass better on the A2Pro but there may be other factors involved.. ( source, power supply etc )

DACslut

Ah you are referring to the amp in your link not necessarily the A2 Pro . I think I have a couple of these ones in the link as well - I found the bass better on the A2Pro but there may be other factors involved.. ( source, power supply etc )
I don't have any experience with the A2 Pro you're referring to. I only have rolling experiences using the OPA1656 but I believe the 1612 is very similar. I probably would've rolled my new A08 Pro amp except it's opamps lack DIP sockets and it sounds just fine unmodded.

DrSpan

I have to laugh at idiots who buy a passive preamp, and then return it and give a one-star rating on Amazon because it doesn't "amplify" the signal. They apparently did not bother to figure out what passive vs active preamplifiers are, and cannot conceive that the prefix "pre" means before. And of course, anyone with a basic understanding or component audio knows that preamplifiers are located before (-pre) the amplifier in the signal chain, and do not necessarily amplify the signal- but rather they do add one or more "features" that can include a volume control, EQ/Tone controls, source switching, and even adding some "gain" for phono or other low-output sources.

The Douk/Nobsound XLR/RCA passive preamplifier seems to be sold around the world and targeted at people with active loudspeakers. No obvious bad reputation like many cheap ChiFi DACs and amps. Higher quality XLR passives start at $400-$500 (such as Khozmo, Axiom and Goldpoint), and go up to thousands of dollars each. I would not hesitate to buy a Douk/Nobsound unit if I needed one - especially from Amazon, where returns are easy.

Superbest AudioFriends.org did a comparison of the Goldpoint and the Nobsound and came to this conclusion:

View attachment 52852
View attachment 52853
In a Galaxy far away Years later…. i discover this thread :)

in case you are still there, would you mind sharing your opinion?
Say you placed this between an Audio interface Output and a MiniDsp Flex which then goes into active Monitors (just lets not go into why :) .

When reading this "Conclusion: When used with at least 20 dB attenuation and very short, low capacitance cables the Nobsound NS-05P will come close to the performance of Goldpoint SA1X. „.
i wonder. Where should the cables be the sortest i.e where should the Volume controller best be placed? Near the MiniDsp or the near Interface (short cable wise)

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In a Galaxy far away Years later…. i discover this thread :)

in case you are still there, would you mind sharing your opinion?
Say you placed this between an Audio interface Output and a MiniDsp Flex which then goes into active Monitors (just lets not go into why :) .

When reading this "Conclusion: When used with at least 20 dB attenuation and very short, low capacitance cables the Nobsound NS-05P will come close to the performance of Goldpoint SA1X. „.
i wonder. Where should the cables be the sortest i.e where should the Volume controller best be placed? Near the MiniDsp or the near Interface (short cable wise)
Near the mini DSP - but why are you bothering (I know you said "don't ask" but if we don't know why, it is difficult to advise on the best approach). What are you trying to achieve here?

Is the output of the audio interface too high for the MiniDSP?

DrSpan

Near the mini DSP - but why are you bothering. What are you trying to achieve here?

Is the output of the audio interface too high for the MiniDSP?
I need a volume control that behaves like analog potentiometers behave. I am mixing music and editing sound.
I am touching the volume hundreds of times a day. I find digital infinite encoders not good for it. I want a dial that has a beginning and and end and to have all volume i need translated to a small motion of my hand. Which i only have found in „old“ technology volume knobs.

"Near the mini DSP „. Thanks a lot. Its much appreciated

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
So -- I mean -- you can use an analog pot, you know. They're not illegal, yet. ;)
Or something like a constant impedance "ladder" type attenuator, or a TVC (transformer volume control) or AVC (autoformer...).
Just because technology is old doesn't mean it is not useful. Heck, I know techno-types don't believe it, but sometimes the old technology is better (i.e., more robust, less expensive, better fit for purpose, etc.)... even if one is not a hipster. ;)

and, yes, @DrSpan I realize full well you didn't want to offer too much info for us because you knew that some bozo like me would come along and try to solve your problem without being actually asked to! :cool: So, yes, I apologize prophylactically, but I'm still gonna do it. :facepalm: Sorry!

Top Bottom