• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Newbie Setup Improvements

PGansz

Forum Donor
Good afternoon,

Short story: the wife and I bought a house that have four pre-wired and mounted Bose surround speakers in our main living room. Like most everyone, I had no clue about audio and did basic research and started to assemble a system to take advantage of what was in place. I made some weird choices along the way, but have been reading daily about hi-fi and AVR setups for months and I think I finally have a decent enough education on equipment, and my system is pretty good. But despite the inevitable flak I'll get from most people from what I have I'm sure there's more I can get from it. And yes, the wife made sure it was aesthetically pleasing with our furniture.
Receiver: Marantz SR5015
Sub: AudioEngine S8
L/R: Polk R200
Center: Polk R300
Surrounds: Bose cubes or something or other

After two receivers (Denon S760H and Onkyo 6100), I have ended up with a Marantz SR5015. The Denon clipped with my Polk R200's at modest volumes, and the Onkyo made constant clicking noises and would cut audio sporadically every time we watch a movie. The Marantz has quite different sonic qualities, but is quiet, and stable. The music is, well, rich in quality. I'm fine with it.

However, I know my Polk R200's and R300 center like power, and even at 50-55db I feel like I can barely hear my TV sometimes. When I play two channel music, I feel like the volume is equivalent when it says 36db. Why is this?

Should I buy a two channel, or three channel amp? Cost was initially a concern with all this (since the wife and I are new to this world), but now I realize it's inevitable that you have to spend money. What's the best value upgrade I can do in your expert opinions to get my center channel talking right, and possibly upgrade the sound to my mains?

Top Bottom