• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Newbie question re amplifiers and receiver measurements and what's audible?

sndraco

Hi

Same q also applies to DAC's (in a general sense) but wanted to start with amplifier/receivers. I did watch the video on what the measurements mean (I used to be an engineer and think I follow some/most of it but...)

The measurements are

1. Amplifier SINAD at 5 Watt/4 Ohm load with best being the Benchmark at 113 and the vintage Dynaco ST-70 (picked randomly) at 59. It says higher the better, my question is what is the level at which differences aren't audible (it may depend on different people of course) but I would guess that the difference between 113 and 105 isn't audible, so even though 113 is "better" than 105 (Benchmark vs. Hypex NC 400) its more that on a measurement basis it performs better but from an audible standpoint (which I think what really matters) there isn't a difference.

I was thinking about this in terms of speakers frequency response (only 1 measurement but to keep it simple as an illustration), we look at response upto 20khz, I know some speakers go higher, there are super tweeters etc, but anything over 20Khz even though has more of an extended range it isn't audible so doesn't matter.

In this case even assuming we are using the audibility test based on the reviewers ability/ears, ranking/listing SINAD as higher is better seems off, IF only differences over a certain delta matter (say 20, so an amplifier with 100 vs 79 would be audibly better, but 100 vs. 90 wouldn't).

2. For crosstalk, similar questions would apply to crosstalk, ie in the db vs. frequency in addition to comparison to best in class, is it possible (even if not applicable to 100% of reviewers/ears) a line/or range below which it would matter.

and just to perhaps beat my dead point into the ground. SPower vs. Distortion. is there a db level whether constant with freq, or even if it changes with freq thats the audibility threshold.

I did try to look in this forum for past threads (not very hard but did search) and couldn't find an answer.

Appreciate all responses, including ones that point me to other threads, demonstrate why this question is phrased incorrectly/irrelevant etc.

Thanks

Shri

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
This thread may a good place to start.

OP
S

sndraco

Thanks so much, this looks like exactly what I am looking for (I searched on measurements and audibility, not thresholds)

S

Top Bottom