• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Newbie question about impedance on amplifier > speaker

Psyskeletor

Hi.

I beg you pardon if i put the topic on the wrong place.

I am pretty new to the audiophile world and i am building my rig.
So far:
Speakers: Polk Audio RTA 8T
DAC: Topping E50
Streamer: WiiM streamer
Amplificator: Topping LA90D

My question is:
My speakers are rated 6ohm, 89 db sentisivity (https://polksda.com/rta8t.shtml) and i want to use another LA90D as monoblock:
- LA90D works on monoblock only in 8ohm impedance: will it destroy my speakers? (rated for 250W)
- I saw on @Amir review "bridged mode" whats is this? connection the output of one LA90D to the input of the second one and then to the speakers?
- Anyone as an opinion about the polkies? for me dound great and if i change the LA90D for my old Hafler DH-200, it sound way brighter, defined and cleaner but i dont know i am really listening to ****** speakers.

Thanks!

staticV3

Master Contributor
LA90D works on monoblock only in 8ohm impedance
Officially, the LA90D can be used in Mono with ≥4Ω loads:
7526313.jpg

Indeed Amir tested 4Ω Mono and the LA90D did just fine:
Topping LA90 Discrete Stereo Amplifier Low Gain Bridged 4 ohm Power Measurement.png Topping LA90 Discrete Stereo Amplifier Low Gain Bridged 4 ohm max and peak Power Measurement.png

will it destroy my speakers? (rated for 250W)
No.

I saw on @Amir review "bridged mode" whats is this? connection the output of one LA90D to the input of the second one and then to the speakers?
Bridged mode = Mono mode.

Please don't plug one LA90D into another LA90D, that's a recipe for disaster.

OP
P

Psyskeletor

Thank you very much, i tought it was suited for > 8 ohm loads but reading my la90d instructions, it clearly states > 4 ohm, so my mistake. It seems, 6ohm is on the very safe side.

Thanks again!

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thread about mono/ bridged.

Top Bottom