• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Newbie here, wondering if I just lit $600 on fire

Ranker

I purchased my Topping DX7 back back in the US and brought it with me overseas to SE Asia. I unboxed it, plugged it into the outlet, and turned the switch on in the back of the unit. It doesn't turn on.

I consulted the manual and see that there's a voltage selector switch at the bottom. "Oh boy"

I turn the switch off, unplug the power cable, switch the voltage selector to 220V, reattach the power cord, and switch the unit on. Nothing.

Did I destroy the DAC by not setting the voltage selector? Or did I have a defective unit in the first place.
I have not noticed any burnt smell or loud pop during this whole time.

I'm a complete audiophile newbie: this DAC was the first DAC I've ever purchased and completely bummed about my initial foray into the world of music.

vitalii427

Forum Donor
Not sure what it looks like. Is it something I can do myself or something any electronic repair shop should be able to handle?
You can change fuse yourself. It is here:
4CFDAB2B-DBC9-402E-8334-60DE4832993A.jpeg

But I don’t see 110/230V switch. What version of DX7 do you have?

OP
R

Ranker

It’s on the underside of the DAC.
Does replacing it require anything more than a simple swap in and our or does it require soldering (and hence an electronic repair shop)?

Also is there anyway to tell in advance what that exact fuse may look like and the specifications of the fuse for the DX7?

WesParker

The black plastic thing with the picture of the fuse should be a cover you can pry off. Under the cover will be a glass tube with metal ends. You should be able it visually inspect the fuse. There will be a filament that runs parallel to the tube, it should be in tact. If not replace. The manual should give the rating of the fuse. also the installed fuse will most likely be marked. It’s a user serviceable part, no soldering needed.

Top Bottom