• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New to the Group

RB Dennis 57

I discovered ASR while researching reviews for gear.
Let me preface, I don't have the expertise, acumen or knowledge of electronics, other than how to properly hook up patch cords and a general understanding of impedance.
I've owned stereo gear off and on since 1975. Over the years, I've purchased many brands of consumer grade gear, and later, made efforts to upgrade.

The difference today vs. 40 years ago, one could go to a hi-fi shop within a 50 mile radius to audition gear. Today, many us rely solely on online purchases. I would spend hours reading reviews for manufacturers to user reviews from audio websites such as "What Hi-Fi" and Crutchfield. In some cases, I have been please with a purchase, and others, displeased.

I found this site while researching reviews for the PS Audio M700 monoblocks. The review was not a "hole in One", but not a double bogy. I was looking for something that could drive my Dyn Special 40 standmounts. I was disappointed with my acquisition of the Rocksan M3 integrated. I took advantage of the marketing pitch from PSA to trade in the Rocksan. I took a hit, but still have a 1K "Credit" should I purchase another product. I'm not displeased with the M700, for it provided the power needed to let the S40's open up.

I have since sold the S40's. I bought them used for half the MSRP (1525 USD) which included a pair of B/W stands. I was able to sell them For 1900.
I have 3 other fully functional rigs, but wanted to get another pair of standmounts for the M700. I went to review the KEF R3 speakers on the ASR site. While reading the review, the Revel M105 was mentioned with very high marks. I must say, it's the most satisfying purchase of hi-fi gear I've ever had......which leads me to my next dilemma....due to the M105's sensitivity and 8 ohm impedance, the M700's at 350-8 and 700-4 seems to be overkill. ASR's review of the Benchmark AHB2 amplifier seems like an endgame as I drift into retirement next year. It seems it may be an excellent pairing for the M105's.

So....my question to the group is, what would be a good preamp to pair it with?
Thanks in advance.

RB Dennis57 (aka Bobdog)

Norcal

What source(s) are you using for your music? I think that will likely determine the features required for the pre-amp.

OP
R

RB Dennis 57

What source(s) are you using for your music? I think that will likely determine the features required for the pre-amp.
most genres including some country, and perhaps prog depending on the mood. ......No metal, hard rock and hip hop. My preferences have softened as I've aged.

TimW

Major Contributor
most genres including some country, and perhaps prog depending on the mood. ......No metal, hard rock and hip hop. My preferences have softened as I've aged.
I'm pretty sure they were referring to source devices when they said source. As in turntable, tape deck, streamer, etc.

FeelinNoPain

Benchmark would say you need their LA4 preamp to match the low noise of the AHB2. They might be right. (Only as good as weakest link and all that.)

OP
R

RB Dennis 57

I'm pretty sure they were referring to source devices when they said source. As in turntable, tape deck, streamer, etc.
Correct. I misread. I will stream with this unit. I have 2 others specifically for analog.

OP
R

RB Dennis 57

Correct. I misread. I will stream with this unit. I have 2 others specifically for analog.

TimW

Major Contributor
Do you already have the streamer? A DAC would work well as a preamp if you're only source is digital.

OP
R

RB Dennis 57

Do you already have the streamer? A DAC would work well as a preamp if you're only source is digital.
I stream apple music from my smart TV / Apple box, then Fibre Optic into a Schitt Modi DAC, then patched into a preamp. Ignore the speakers and the amp on top. They're awaiting for a designated space while we are getting stuffed situated in the new homeplace.

Attachments

• DAC.jpg
    DAC.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 42

TimW

Major Contributor
If you want to continue using this type of old school system but with modern gear, here are a few high performance preamp options:

Schiit Freya S
Topping Pre90
Benchmark LA4

Personally I use a miniDSP SHD preamp which does crossovers to my subs and room equalization using DSP. The sound quality improvements from these factors are far greater than any possible difference between electronics.

OP
R

RB Dennis 57

If you want to continue using this type of old school system but with modern gear, here are a few high performance preamp options:

Schiit Freya S
Topping Pre90
Benchmark LA4

Personally I use a miniDSP SHD preamp which does crossovers to my subs and room equalization using DSP. The sound quality improvements from these factors are far greater than any possible difference between electronicsmY

OP
R

RB Dennis 57

My motive is to have the Benchmark Amp serve as my "new age" gear with like components. But I have been very pleased w/ the Schitt Modi DAC for $100. But i can still use it on my other rigs,

Norcal

If you want to dip your toes into the world of room correction and digital signal processing, then you can replace the Modi with the miniDSP SHD. You could also look at the miniDSP Flex with Dirac added. Bear in mind that while these can make a big difference in sound quality because of DSP, these will also add complexity to your system. If you aren't inclined to mess around with learning their user interface and figuring out how to run Dirac, etc., then that path may not be for you.

If you don't want the complexity, you have two options:

1) Just add one of the preamps that TimW recommended above after your Modi.
2) If you want to repurpose your Modi to another system, then you can get a DAC that measures well which also has volume control to serve as your preamp (a one-box solution vs the two-box solution in option 1).

Top Bottom