• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New SMSL SH-X Headphone Amp/Preamp

Rhamnetin

Seems like this just came out today.

c1b3feb8gy1hlm97i8keuj23ab27d4qq_600x600.jpg

Same design as the SU-X DAC. $700 and less power than the Topping A70 Pro. Has very low gain modes but that doesn't seem to have much use on a $700 powerful amp.

Last edited:

Mikig

I don't understand why SMSL doesn't produce a good pure 2 channel preamp, no headphone outputs, no DAC.
A pre like Topping pre90 so to speak.

As demonstrated by the survey done by ASR a good majority of users use 2 channel stereo or 2.1 system.
We exist too!! ;)

They have 12 headphone amps in their catalog; a good part of them have the possibility of preamplifier but use as a second function.

cursive

Forum Donor
I really like the look of this one, though you pretty much have to stack with matching dac due to the display protruding above.

I wonder if it has resistor ladder volume, it doesn't seem to mention anything about that.

Either way, thank you for bringing it to our attention.

OP
Rhamnetin

Rhamnetin

I don't understand why SMSL doesn't produce a good pure 2 channel preamp, no headphone outputs, no DAC.
A pre like Topping pre90 so to speak.

As demonstrated by the survey done by ASR a good majority of users use 2 channel stereo or 2.1 system.
We exist too!! ;)

They have 12 headphone amps in their catalog; a good part of them have the possibility of preamplifier but use as a second function.

I guess there isn't enough demand for one from SMSL, but the price has to make sense. The Pre90 doesn't make sense at its price point since the L70 and A70 Pro are really equally good preamps, with the same volume control, for a lot less money (almost half the cost for the L70).

I really like the look of this one, though you pretty much have to stack with matching dac due to the display protruding above.

I wonder if it has resistor ladder volume, it doesn't seem to mention anything about that.

Either way, thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Good question. I see lots of what appear to be relays in the internal images, but I can't be sure.

Music1969

Major Contributor
yes would like to know

Seems SMSL are moving away from THX for new products, although THX amps still available for now

Gymboy

Seems like this just came out today.

c1b3feb8gy1hlm97i8keuj23ab27d4qq_600x600.jpg

Same design as the SU-X DAC. $700 and less power than the Topping A70 Pro. Has very low gain modes but that doesn't seem to have much use on a $700 powerful amp.
THD + N is lower on A70 Pro and SNR is 10db difference (which is alot). Power 11.5W vs 17W at 16ohm, 12.6W vs 5.5w at 32ohm. Lets see how its sounds when reviewed, it has to prove its 200$ higher price somehow.

Last edited:

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A70 isnt reliable at all, quite big failure rate. I would take this any day over a "better" unreliable amp.

OP
Rhamnetin

Rhamnetin

A70 isnt reliable at all, quite big failure rate. I would take this any day over a "better" unreliable amp.

Meanwhile my SU-X (DAC counterpart to this) just failed after a few weeks. I wouldn't get my hopes up for this one's reliability either, but we'll see.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
I like the clean looks of these units. Also the display layout, font choice etc. appear the most appealing among everything I’ve seen from SMSL so far.

However with this combo we’re talking RME ADI-2 Pro FS money. What real-world benefits would make one go for these SMSLs instead of the RME?

asrUser

pundel

I have a question about smsl xu-x whether to buy smsl sh-x or topping 70pro, please share your opinion

Bleib

Major Contributor
Quite 80s design as well, but still better than SMSL VMV P2

siwmad

It looks perfect to me, but I have one question. Does sh-X have a remote control? There is no information about this in the specification.
First, I was scared by the information about the 3-pin XLR output. The headphone output is described as balanced in the specifications. There are only 3 pins in the photo because it is a render, not real equipment. But what about this remote control?

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It looks perfect to me, but I have one question. Does sh-X have a remote control? There is no information about this in the specification.
First, I was scared by the information about the 3-pin XLR output. The headphone output is described as balanced in the specifications. There are only 3 pins in the photo because it is a render, not real equipment. But what about this remote control?
I don't think so.

1707564987681.png

It is not very common for headphone amps to have remotes though anyway, isn't it? Mostly the DACs / preamps come with a remote.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Please provide proof of this claim otherwise it is nothing but your opinion or even worse, speculation.

siwmad

I have an SP-400 and I have a remote control. I can't imagine changing the SP-400 to SH-X if the new amplifier does not have a remote control function. Maybe they don't add a remote control and the function remote volume control works with a universal remote control, which you have to buy or use from su-x. I can control the volume of the su-10 and su-9 with the SP-400 remote control.

Top Bottom