• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Purifi amplifiers coming

Diecastt

Yes we selected a versatile and common model that offer good performances and availability in DIP8 format.

What models would have been more relevants ?
Any suggestion welcome for future updates.
If audiophonics also offers a premium option similar to Apollon's - Weiss Op2-bp with a linear power supply, i would be all over that.

welwynnick

Forum Donor
Yes we selected a versatile and common model that offer good performances and availability in DIP8 format.
Did you select it based on subjective, objective or commercial considerations?

Do you know if Purifi will produce their own I/O board?

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is the larger size opamp socket that the manufacturers call "Pro" as opposed to the smaller sized DIP8.
Examples:

Sparkos SS2590

Sonic Imagery 990Enh-Ticha

Some amp manufacturers accept both types, like VTV.
View attachment 354572

Thanks, thought it might be something like that. It is a socket configuration (packaging for a carrier board rather than a typical opamp). As electronics industry technology goes, there is consumer grade, industrial, mil-spec. They are all different grades of what could be called professional.

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

OPA1656 as per the man himself.

welwynnick

Forum Donor
I bet that the Apollon actually uses the right PSU, and there's just a typo in the spec sheet.
I'm not sure that Audiophonics use the wrong OpAmp either.
The Sonic Imagery, Burson, Weiss and Sparkos get a lot of attention, but the OPA1612 has great specs, too. OK, it does it's best work at 1kHz, but I think people only latch onto that because the TI spec sheet is more comprehensive, and I don't think there's any evidence that the expensive OpAmps are better. Some do prefer them, but I've also read people on the DIY forums preferring the 1612.
Just to put myself right...
I recall someone commenting that the OPA1612 was very good, but performance degraded at higher frequencies.
So I looked at the TI datasheet, and sure enough the SINAD got worse above 1kHz, but then I had never seen any THD vs Freq charts for any other OpAmps.
ASR is a goldmine of information, and I found this today:
Yes, the OPA1612 SINAD gets worse above 1kHz, but then so does everything else (and this is tested in a DAC, not a power amp):
The only niggle is that the bottleneck may be elsewhere.

Last edited:

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Just to put myself right...
I recall someone commenting that the OPA1612 was very good, but performance degraded at higher frequencies.
So I looked at the TI datasheet, and sure enough the SINAD got worse above 1kHz, but then I had never seen any THD vs Freq charts for any other OpAmps.
ASR is a goldmine of information, and I found this today:
Yes, the OPA1612 SINAD gets worse above 1kHz, but then so does everything else (and this is tested in a DAC, not a power amp):
The only niggle is that the bottleneck may be elsewhere.
Welcome to OpAmp fundamentals. A way of imagining an OpAmp is a triangle with massive gain near DC and virtually none at Mhz frequencies. This is not a useful feature so feedback is used to get a flat gain with frequency. Because there is so much gain near DC, everything is easy, but as frequency increases, the gain available gets less and less. So, relative to low frequencies all OpAmp designs are trickier at higher frequencies. But the humble 5534 is totally adequate in all line-level circuits.

welwynnick

Forum Donor
Perhaps I should have said that I had never seen the THD vs Freq charts for the Weiss or Sonic Imagery OpAmps.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Perhaps I should have said that I had never seen the THD vs Freq charts for the Weiss or Sonic Imagery OpAmps.
That may not tell you anything useful, without knowing the circuit design that it's in. It's quite easy to build a terrible circuit using a fine Op-amp.

Getting to grips with Gain Bandwidth Products is key.

Rhodo

This may be the wrong place to ask, but I saw a post in a thread earlier saying that the input voltage was an important factor for Purifi amps. Can't find the actual post now so I thought I'd ask here. Been eyeing a Buckeye Purifi stereo amp but now I'm confused, do I need to fret about the signal my DAC/preamp is sending it?

Right now I'm setup like this: PC -USB-> Topping DX5 -XLR or RCA-> Amp --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1-v2

If I wanted to go with a Purifi based amp is there a problem with that signal chain? I got these speakers recently and am pretty in love with them, I'd love to get one these and just be confident and the amp is not a limiting factor in any way.

LesterNZ

Forum Donor
The input 'buffer' OpAmp used with the Purifi module provides additional gain. Some amps, like the MarchAudio 462, have switchable 20 or 26 dB gain to optimise system gain performance. Though most 'non-exotic' DAC's, Pre's and Amps available nowadays will happily sing together with no fuss or bother.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
March Audio posted the measurements for their 1ET9040BA based P801 mono amp. As expected, crazy low levels of distortion. I suppose all implementations will have SINAD limited by noise on the buffer and gain settings used.

1000011276.jpg

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This may be the wrong place to ask, but I saw a post in a thread earlier saying that the input voltage was an important factor for Purifi amps. Can't find the actual post now so I thought I'd ask here. Been eyeing a Buckeye Purifi stereo amp but now I'm confused, do I need to fret about the signal my DAC/preamp is sending it?

Right now I'm setup like this: PC -USB-> Topping DX5 -XLR or RCA-> Amp --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1-v2

If I wanted to go with a Purifi based amp is there a problem with that signal chain? I got these speakers recently and am pretty in love with them, I'd love to get one these and just be confident and the amp is not a limiting factor in any way.

Should be just fine but should plan to use XLR to XLR cable between the Topping and the Buckeye amp.

EdW

March Audio posted the measurements for their 1ET9040BA based P801 mono amp. As expected, crazy low levels of distortion. I suppose all implementations will have SINAD limited by noise on the buffer and gain settings used.

View attachment 357302
Practically the best high power amp on the market? It would be interesting to understand where the noise/distortion floor of Alan March’s measurement system lies. In any case the measurements must be quite challenging to take at this level of distortion.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Practically the best high power amp on the market? It would be interesting to understand where the noise/distortion floor of Alan March’s measurement system lies. In any case the measurements must be quite challenging to take at this level of distortion.

Maybe, but cannot judge from just one measurement alone. Would need full set of independent measures to claim any top ratings. Since Amir is not going to do and Erin is not equipped to do, guess will have to see what Amir gets from other vendors.

Would like to see some internal pics. Last March amp I serviced was a PIA to work on and had the power management board mounted on the SMPS heatsink. Was actually pleased to find I did not have to replace the power supply.;)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Coming from Purifi and Bruno, I expect nothing but excellence in other important metrics such as IMD and reliability of the module. So it comes down to PS choice, buffer and opamp, and general assembly quality and chassis design to differentiate between other amps based on this marvel module.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Coming from Purifi and Bruno, I expect nothing but excellence in other important metrics such as IMD and reliability of the module. So it comes down to PS choice, buffer and opamp, and general assembly quality and chassis design to differentiate between other amps based on this marvel module.

At the same time, the 7040 and the NCx500 are no slackers either AND likely much better values. Even the Audiophonics 9040 is 2500 euros. The Apollon 7040 is that much so you know the 9040 will be more. Will be interesting to see March’s pricing.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It would be interesting to understand where the noise/distortion floor of Alan March’s measurement system lies. In any case the measurements must be quite challenging to take at this level of distortion.

He's talking about his source generator's noise floor, its inherent distortion and of course the amplifier's residual noise floor. We really have no idea what's from the source D/A, the A/D front end and what's from the amp. Putting a measurement system loopback alongside would show what differences there are, but that can also be deceptive.

He's at the limits of his test gear, just as many of us are. He'd have to pony up for an APX555B and it's associated AUX filter, along with some expensive loads (lift brake resistors are no good for that) just to characterise the amp. In Australia, it'd be close to AUD$100k all things considered.

Working back from the plot, there is around 13uV of unweighted total noise on the outputs from 20Hz-20kHz, which is amazing for an amplifier of any type, letalone a SMPS driven very high powered switching amplifier. And again, some of that may be coming from the D/A front end.

The SNR figure however is likely under-quoting the actual figure. It will likely be better due to the measurement method being not being true S/N.

EdW

He's talking about his source generator's noise floor, its inherent distortion and of course the amplifier's residual noise floor. We really have no idea what's from the source D/A, the A/D front end and what's from the amp. Putting a measurement system loopback alongside would show what differences there are, but that can also be deceptive.

He's at the limits of his test gear, just as many of us are. He'd have to pony up for an APX555B and it's associated AUX filter, along with some expensive loads (lift brake resistors are no good for that) just to characterise the amp. In Australia, it'd be close to AUD$100k all things considered.

Working back from the plot, there is around 13uV of unweighted total noise on the outputs from 20Hz-20kHz, which is amazing for an amplifier of any type, letalone a SMPS driven very high powered switching amplifier. And again, some of that may be coming from the D/A front end.

The SNR figure however is likely under-quoting the actual figure. It will likely be better due to the measurement method being not being true S/N.
Looks like the measurements Alan March has made are at/below the limits of the AP555B? The load resistor linearity is certainly a challenge although extremely high damping factors from the amplifier might help mask marginal non linearities here.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Looks like the measurements Alan March has made are at/below the limits of the AP555B?

Not even close. The APX555 or 555B has another 15-20dB to play with. Ask @amirm

But, that's only at a measly 5W. One data point at 1kHz 5W is just that, one data point.

Top Bottom