• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Purifi amplifiers coming

OP
M

mocenigo

Major Contributor

MAB

Major Contributor
“Db” is a weird typo:)

S/N at -150dB, look here https://weiss.ch/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/OP1-BP-Datasheet-R1.pdf of course this is the manufacturer’s claim.

For instance for the Neurochrome universal buffer we get +-15V max, and 15V/2.1μV = 0.7*10^7, a ratio (of absolute magnitude RMS values) that corresponds to about 137DB, as claimed by Neurochrome themselves.
OK!
Yeah, that's a heroic claim. Would be nice just for the see it backed up. I do like the low noise floor since I use with compression drivers and other high efficiency speakers. These OpAmps really don't limit the design though, or am I missing anything?

OP
M

mocenigo

Major Contributor
OK!
Yeah, that's a heroic claim. Would be nice just for the see it backed up. I do like the low noise floor since I use with compression drivers and other high efficiency speakers. These OpAmps really don't limit the design though, or am I missing anything?

I do not understand your last sentence. Is it about the Weiss opamp, both the Weiss and the 1612, or in general?

Fidji

Too bad that there is no 45V version of the SMPS3k...

I stumbled upon new Purifi amps, when ordering some watts for my HT.

I could see here in EU only 2 offers - Apollon with "wrong" PSU, and Audiophonics with "wrong" OpAmp.
Will you a) include it in your portfolio b) will you have "right: both PSU and OpAmp?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Apollon probably copied the web page from another model and changed the module name but forgot to change the PS name. Happens to the best of us. @Apollon Audio

welwynnick

Forum Donor
I bet that the Apollon actually uses the right PSU, and there's just a typo in the spec sheet.
I'm not sure that Audiophonics use the wrong OpAmp either.
The Sonic Imagery, Burson, Weiss and Sparkos get a lot of attention, but the OPA1612 has great specs, too. OK, it does it's best work at 1kHz, but I think people only latch onto that because the TI spec sheet is more comprehensive, and I don't think there's any evidence that the expensive OpAmps are better. Some do prefer them, but I've also read people on the DIY forums preferring the 1612.

Fidji

I bet that the Apollon actually uses the right PSU, and there's just a typo in the spec sheet.
I'm not sure that Audiophonics use the wrong OpAmp either.
The Sonic Imagery, Burson, Weiss and Sparkos get a lot of attention, but the OPA1612 has great specs, too. OK, it does it's best work at 1kHz, but I think people only latch onto that because the TI spec sheet is more comprehensive, and I don't think there's any evidence that the expensive OpAmps are better. Some do prefer them, but I've also read people on the DIY forums preferring the 1612.

from Audiophonics website (on 1et400)

“A Texas Instrument LM4562 OPA per channel is used, these are very low distortion AOPs offering the greatest transparency with a very low THD. They are mounted on socket allowing their replacement if necessary”

I am absolutely OK with OPA1612, I have it in my Apollon 1et7040 amp.

Last edited:
Reactions: MAB

welwynnick

Forum Donor
from Audiophonics website (on 1et400)

“A Texas Instrument LM4562 OPA per channel is used, these are very low distortion AOPs offering the greatest transparency with a very low THD. They are mounted on socket allowing their replacement if necessary”

I am absolutely OK with OPA1612, I have it in my Apollon 1et7040 amp.
I thought that was used on the AUDIOPHONICS MPA-M400ET Power Amplifier Class D Mono Purifi 1ET400A ?
My memory might have failed me, but now I can't see any mention of the OpAmp used on the HPA-DM750ET?
Yes, I'd be OK with the OPA1612 as well.

OP
M

mocenigo

Major Contributor

I could see here in EU only 2 offers - Apollon with "wrong" PSU, and Audiophonics with "wrong" OpAmp.

As Apollon confirmed to me, they copied over the page for the 7040 amps and the did not fix everything — they are definitely using the right PSU. They also have a luxury chassis, an opamp claimed to be the best measuring in the world with its own PSU. But of course everything has a price.

As for Audiophonics, not sure what they use as a buffer

Will you a) include it in your portfolio b) will you have "right: both PSU and OpAmp?

Why shouldn’t he? But Fred is very attentive to details.

OP
M

mocenigo

Major Contributor
I thought that was used on the AUDIOPHONICS MPA-M400ET Power Amplifier Class D Mono Purifi 1ET400A ?
My memory might have failed me, but now I can't see any mention of the OpAmp used on the HPA-DM750ET?

I would prefer a composite amplifier with a 1612 driving a 1656 (but: some phase rotation kinks require some extra care - hence more resistors and caps on the feedback and thus a potential increase in noise). 140dB THD+N and ability to deliver a ton of current. Or cascaded LME49720.

I forgot to mention what is the actual advantage of the Weiss op2-bp. The CMRR stays quite high (at least 88dB) over the whole audio band. Most composite amplifiers inherit the CMRR from the opamps and tends to fall regularly above 1Khz.

Fidji

Audiophonics seems to use 4562 also in 1et7040, but you are right, no mention of op-amp used ins 9040 specs. Maybe they come with skmething new for 9040.

Anyway, will wait for some measurements first, curious about “eigentakt gen2” and what it brings. Only thing that ever bothered me a bit about modern d-class amps was this ballooning of distortion at higher frequencies. Nothing audible, but still :).

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company

a) yes, but not before a few months
b) most probably SMPS1200 (1.2 kW - 200W losses = 1 kW at the binding posts at 20Hz in 2R) and a composite gain stage.

Fidji

a) yes, but not before a few months
b) most probably SMPS1200 (1.2 kW - 200W losses = 1 kW at the binding posts at 20Hz in 2R) and a composite gain stage.

Thanks a lot - let' stay in touch, will write you directly, I am in no hurry.
7040 works very well, but I have 26 CH to feed, so I can for sure accommodate latest and greatest in D Class into my setup, as I have combined 2Ch/HT room, with L-R getting special treatment in amplification.

Actually I am more interested in behavior at the other end of the spectrum - I have hybrid electrostats with active bass section [up to 270Hz] so no issue there, rather with 0.5R at 20kHz.

soerenssen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audiophonics seems to use 4562 also in 1et7040, but you are right, no mention of op-amp used ins 9040 specs. Maybe they come with skmething new for 9040.
One LM4562 OPA per channel, according to the updated product page of the HPA-DM750ET.

welwynnick

Forum Donor
Indeed. That's a little disappointing, though they say it's mounted on a socket.

OP
M

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Indeed. That's a little disappointing, though they say it's mounted on a socket.

It is a DIP8 socket though, so you can replace is with an OPA1656 if you want better driving capability, but also slightly more noise. The discrete opamps for that socket are not better. The Weiss uses a pro opamp socket.

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
OK!
I don't have a direct proof of how good are the Weiss op amps but their new flagship DAC the Helios uses them in the output stage... it's also the best measuring DAC in stereophile ever with estimated ENOB of 21.5 bits. Guess they can't be that bad if this DAC would top the chart here on ASR.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is a DIP8 socket though, so you can replace is with an OPA1656 if you want better driving capability, but also slightly more noise. The discrete opamps for that socket are not better. The Weiss uses a pro opamp socket.

May be a translation (or marketing hype), but what is a pro opamp socket?

Reactions: MCH

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
May be a translation (or marketing hype), but what is a pro opamp socket?
It is the larger size opamp socket that the manufacturers call "Pro" as opposed to the smaller sized DIP8.
Examples:

Sparkos SS2590

Sonic Imagery 990Enh-Ticha

Some amp manufacturers accept both types, like VTV.
vtv buffer.jpg

Last edited:

Audiophonics

Dealer

Yes we selected a versatile and common model that offer good performances and availability in DIP8 format.

What models would have been more relevants ?
Any suggestion welcome for future updates.

Top Bottom