• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Purifi amplifiers coming

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
At the High End I met Purifi, and I was offered a sneak peek of the new 1ET9040BA. Available soon-ish, ....

1-1/2 year later we are still waiting. I guess "soon-ish" is open to interpretation.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Once you get to a 96 Db SINAD further improvement is not going to be audible.

glideslope

This is within an order of magnitude and inaudible unless you have a 110Db/W/m speaker. So, yeah, pretty much achieved.
I believe you could hit that sensitivity with a compression driver & horn, and 4 pro 10's in series-parallel. :)

OP
M

mocenigo

Major Contributor
I believe you could hit that sensitivity with a compression driver & horn, and 4 pro 10's in series-parallel. :)

Yes, I have had a 108Db/W/m compression driver and a large Le’Cleach horn… so I know ;-)

pogo

Major Contributor
This is within an order of magnitude and inaudible unless you have a 110Db/W/m speaker. So, yeah, pretty much achieved.
This was also no problem with the first Purifi generation: Link

OP
M

mocenigo

Major Contributor

a few posts after that, the one of the Avantgarde owner, is hilarious. All obviously sighted, and at the end he speaks of the AHB perhaps being ok with “lesser speakers”. Looking at the coloration of the Avantgarde it is difficult to find lesser speakers on the market at all, perhaps an old phone performs worse — and I *also* heard a few Avantgarde systems, all ludicrously unlistenable because of the coloration.

OP
M

mocenigo

Major Contributor

Indeed. In fact I should have said 120db... While I was building my previous speakers, as I described somewhere else, I was using a 108db compression driver into Le’Cleach horns for the treble. I had to bring them down with an autoformer, but I also tried to connect them to the amp before reducing their sensitivity and I literally placed my head into the horn. Using a discrete amp based buffer (Sparkos) and either Hypex NC500 or Purifi 1ET400A I could hear the faintest crackle - already inaudible at 1m.

Swapping the Sparkos with a Sonic Imagery or a 1612 there was a significant reduction of the crackle. Then I moved to Neurochrome Universal buffer into Purifi: No hiss, hash or crackle at all. Zero, nada, niente, zilch.[1]

I am fully aware that this is not a scientific test, but I also am a noise freak. If you can hear noise, whether it is mains originated or thermal noise resulting in hiss or hash, then in my book something is wrong. Noise today should not be there — otherwise either the components are not good or not used properly (for instance, with a wrong gain structure). It is a pons asinorum that a system at my home has to cross.

Note:
[1] This is the build that I described in a series of posts on DIYAudio before I was banned for telling a forum donor that he was being dishonest intellectually or uninformed by making unsubstantiated claims on distortion (and even though I used these words, they were considered as an ad hominem insult, but, hey, it was a donor).

Last edited:

soerenssen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Seeing the amount of companies advertising 950W/2Ohm with the 1ET7040SA paired to SMPS1200A400, be ready to see 1600W/2Ohm with the 1ET9040BA paired to a SMPS1200A180 :rolleyes:.
Your prediction seems to be turning out quite accurate unfortunately. What is the rationale behind such a PSU choice? Why not at least an SMPS 1200A700 or Micro Audio 2K (paired with the single-ended 7040) or even larger? As long as the power supply remains the bottleneck, how can it compete with class A/B/H alternatives like the AHB2 mono or even class D competitors like the NCx500 that is powered by the 1200A700? I had the same concern initially with the 1ET7040SA too when it was paired with the 1200A400, but last year new combinations became available with larger power supplies to address this issue.

Last edited:

Audiotone

OP
M

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Seeing the amount of companies advertising 950W/2Ohm with the 1ET7040SA paired to SMPS1200A400, be ready to see 1600W/2Ohm with the 1ET9040BA paired to a SMPS1200A180 :rolleyes:.

Well marketing does not stop at anything, often not even at facts. Over 2Ω at 0.1% THD that amp should be able to yield 1400W, but at 1% could be between 1500 and 1600, looking at the data sheet, so they will advertise it. Even if the PSU cannot…

OP
M

mocenigo

Major Contributor
To me the high power and low distortion of this module already shows that GaN is not needed at all.

It is not needed at all for the amplifier. The PSU, OTOH, could become more compact and more efficient with GaN. Since the PSUs tend to be bigger than the amp modules, the space gain would not be insignificant.

OP
M

mocenigo

Major Contributor
That is true ;)

So, when are you coming out with a 1ET9040BA amplifier? :D
I am volunteering to be a tester, just ship it! :D haha

No, I would have to test it first. Fred knows my speakers and knows they are resolving ;-P

OP
M

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Also there is the Hypex SMPS1200A180 that supplies +/- 46V which should be just above the upper limit +/- 45V of these modules (or SMPS1200A100 with +/- 36V to play it safe?).

Up to +/-50V no problems, then voltage protection will intervene. +/-48V is the recommended maximum. So +/-46V is absolutely safe.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Your prediction seems to be turning out quite accurate unfortunately. What is the rationale behind such a PSU choice? Why not at least an SMPS 1200A700 or Micro Audio 2K (paired with the single-ended 7040) or even larger? As long as the power supply remains the bottleneck, how can it compete with class A/B/H alternatives like the AHB2 mono or even class D competitors like the NCx500 that is powered by the 1200A700? I had the same concern initially with the 1ET7040SA too when it was paired with the 1200A400, but last year new combinations became available with larger power supplies to address this issue.
The difference between the SMPS1200A180/400/700 is only the voltage of the rails. Power stays the same, a.k.a 1200 W. The 1ET9040BA takes rails of +/- 45V, so the SMPS1200A180 is the good fit. The A400 and A700 have too high rails.
Even if 'limited' to 1200 W, an amp equipped with the 1ET9040BA is measurably better than all the alternative you quoted.
Well marketing does not stop at anything, often not even at facts. Over 2Ω at 0.1% THD that amp should be able to yield 1400W, but at 1% could be between 1500 and 1600, looking at the data sheet, so they will advertise it. Even if the PSU cannot…
Issue is that this is working. They are supposed to sell amplifiers, not modules. But well...

OP
M

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Not in the production version.

How will you connect your buffer, with a ribbon/double ribbon or will it piggyback in it remaining on a plane a bit higher?

Top Bottom