• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Purifi amplifiers coming

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My Purifi contact acknowledges the 9040’s ”difficult production ramp (up)”…

He expects to take pre-orders next month and to ship samples afterwards. If all goes well, looks as though it would be generally available by the end of the year or so. Sorry no other details at this stage. Am sure we will hear more once they test the next set of modules.:cool:

Last edited:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems to me the best thing about this is that it will drive down the price of the already-more-than-I-need modules out there.

roog

Forum Donor
I would be quite happy with an NCx500!

I started out reading this thread with interest, but the more I think about it, the more I am inclined to agree @Jim Creek , what would I need 'that kind of power' for?
Just for kicks, because I can and smoldering speakers I guess. :0~

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Seems to me the best thing about this is that it will drive down the price of the already-more-than-I-need modules out there.

Why? The new modules coming from Purifi are more powerful yet than the currect 400 or 700 and will surely be priced accordingly.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why? The new modules coming from Purifi are more powerful yet than the currect 400 or 700 and will surely be priced accordingly.

Why will it bring the price down? Because when the new top-of-the line arrives, the old top-of-the line gets discounted, both new and second hand

Why is that the best thing about this? Because the new modules are a) more power than I need and b) won’t sound different to humans in the absence of a need for that extra power.

goryu

Why will it bring the price down? Because when the new top-of-the line arrives, the old top-of-the line gets discounted, both new and second hand

Why is that the best thing about this? Because the new modules are a) more power than I need and b) won’t sound different to humans in the absence of a need for that extra power.
Not really sure this is the "new top of the line". Apparently it will be a bridged version of the current circuit- just more power not necessarily any real improvement on the 400 or 700. Not sure either how much demand there will be for something of that power output.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure either how much demand there will be for something of that power output.
There are people salivating over it in this very thread!

goryu

Pretty small sample. Given that the existing modules produce more than enough power for most, and the fact that the new module will be priced considerably higher, I have a hard time believing there will be a rush of people dumping their 400 and 700 watt Purifi amps to pay a premium for something they don't need. Some will, sure, but how many bought nc2000 amp modules when the nc500 was all they could conceivably need?

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Pretty small sample. Given that the existing modules produce more than enough power for most, and the fact that the new module will be priced considerably higher, I have a hard time believing there will be a rush of people dumping their 400 and 700 watt Purifi amps to pay a premium for something they don't need. Some will, sure, but how many bought nc2000 amp modules when the nc500 was all they could conceivably need?
You are overestimating people's rationality. But you are right thinking that these new modules won't drive actual modules' cost down, they do not compete together.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You are overestimating people's rationality. But you are right thinking that these new modules won't drive actual modules' cost down, they do not compete together.
If you search Hifi Shark, you'll see more and more used Purifi units coming on the market. It's just the nature of 'the latest thing' in this business.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Agree, but what's causing this is the NCx500, which is comparable in price.
I bet that NC500 sales were pretty low at Hypex, and after the update, huge boom in sales right now. And somewhat the opposite at Purifi, selling lots of modules, and now dropped significantly. Like IEMs and DAC chips, we are reaching the same status of "module du jour" in the amp market. :)

Last edited:

Ra1zel

Not really sure this is the "new top of the line". Apparently it will be a bridged version of the current circuit- just more power not necessarily any real improvement on the 400 or 700. Not sure either how much demand there will be for something of that power output.
If you've actually read this thread you would know that performance is greatly increased over previous modules

goryu

If you've actually read this thread you would know that performance is greatly increased over previous modules
I have read the thread and have seen no proof of that. Seeing is believing. Do you have proof of meaningful performance improvement other than more power?

Last edited:

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I have read the thread and have seen no proof of that. Seeing is believing. Do you have proof of meaningful performance improvement other than more power?
I do. Both noise and distortion are greatly improved. Quality of the input buffer will now make a significant difference between finished amplifiers.

goryu

Quality of the input buffer already makes a significant difference between Hypex and Purifi finished amplifiers. Noise and distortion greatly improved? From inaudible to very inaudible? Show the measurements. No doubt Purifi has done some tweaking to compete with the Hypex NCx line but as Bruno himself has said, we are already at the point where further improvements are mostly academic.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
From inaudible to very inaudible?
While true, people still value that. And makes the simply "inaudible" a little cheaper via an increase in resale supply.

David_M

Quality of the input buffer already makes a significant difference between Hypex and Purifi finished amplifiers. Noise and distortion greatly improved? From inaudible to very inaudible? Show the measurements. No doubt Purifi has done some tweaking to compete with the Hypex NCx line but as Bruno himself has said, we are already at the point where further improvements are mostly academic.
So, if I was to use the same buffer on a Hypex NC or NCx, or Purifi 400 or 700 series amps, I would not be able to tell these amps apart, or be able to hear the difference between them? Let's assume we have high quality and resolving speakers of good sensitivity (90dB) and load (3 ohms 4+ ohms) and are listening at sane volume levels, not demanding more than 150W to 200W from each amp.

I'm really curious about this?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So, if I was to use the same buffer on a Hypex NC or NCx, or Purifi 400 or 700 series amps, I would not be able to tell these amps apart, or be able to hear the difference between them? Let's assume we have high quality and resolving speakers of good sensitivity (90dB) and load (3 ohms 4+ ohms) and are listening at sane volume levels, not demanding more than 150W to 200W from each amp.
Even without the same input buffers, I'd bet you wouldn't be able to tell the difference in a blind, properly level-matched comparison. For instance between 252 and Purifi (I happen to have both - March Audio and NAD, respectively)

goryu

While true, people still value that. And makes the simply "inaudible" a little cheaper via an increase in resale supply.
I haven't noticed any decreases in module prices ever from Hypex or Purifi. Please point out any decreases I may have missed. In Hypex's case, they discontinued older modules. Once the new high power purifi module comes out, are they indicating they will discontinue the newer 700 module of the 400?

Top Bottom