• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Purifi amplifiers coming

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Insane.

Sonny1

The question is why would you need to upgrade? Do you lack power? Or can somehow be the first human ever who can hear distortion difference between 110dB and 120dB?

I’ve done the maths and it’s 10 better. Major upgrade until someone comes out with one that is 11+ better. Like 10 Minute Abs when 9 Minute Abs came out. One better!

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Purifi just casually turning into gold anything they touch

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes. We should just keep in mind that gain is unknown.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but higher gain would rise the noise floor which is essentially the downward slope in the beginning. Even if we raise it to reach the level of the others, still the line goes on and on to impossibly low levels and still shoots high power more than the others. Still insane. :)

Last edited:

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Correct me if I'm wrong, but higher gain would rise the noise floor which is essentially the downward slope in the beginning. Even if we raise it to reach the level of the others, still the line goes on and on to impossibly low levels and still shoots high power more than the others. Still insane. :)
Agree

OP
M

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Oh, that's much higher than what I had in mind.

I provoked Claus Neegard a bit when I mentioned that the LA90 had a noise floor of about 2uV and the response was that if one considers it properly it is better even than the Benchmark and the LA90.

I defined it “ludicrously low, not that I have any doubt, I believe it. But it does defy belief” and he admitted that, yes, it was ludicrous (in a positive way).

The buffer board is no longer a part of the whole board that can be snapped off. It is a separate tiny board now.

OP
M

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Oh, that's much higher than what I had in mind.

I may have remembered completely wrong. I asked one year ago, I forgot to ask again this year. Maybe it is a puny 9db. Who knows.

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
One hopes they can reproduce the low distortion performance in a module with less power.

OP
M

mocenigo

Major Contributor
For those who have active systems you don't need this kind of power for tweeters and midranges.

Yes but it only makes sense if the BOM gets significantly lower. Let us see.

OP
M

mocenigo

Major Contributor
The one and only advantage of the 7040 over the 1ET400A is the power in very difficult loads. All the other metrics are equal or not as good. The 9040 is better than the 1ET400A for all the metrics (at the exception of price).

Not to speak of the fact that it is a radically different design.

OP
M

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Purifi just casually turning into gold anything they touch

They use mathematical models. Just as mathematics has made all old horns obsolete (feel free to use a Goto or a Conic, but then you are a distortion loving dinosaur), they are tackling everything else.

Jim Creek

Following a private request, I gathered the (preliminary?) THD+N data from the image provided by @mocenigo earlier in the thread and updated my plot data. The resulting comparison looks like this:
View attachment 291189
The usual caveats apply: The data is collected from different sources. The amps are using different gains which I did not track. Some are just not specified, some may be listed in the sources below.

Sources:
I would be quite happy with an NCx500!

OP
M

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Now after over a year from sneak peek of this module there are any news or is still MIA ??

I believe we have to be patient a bit more. Not all supply chain issues have been solved, I guess.

Top Bottom