• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New product - SMSL AO300

Reji

I'm buying this AO300 paired with Mission LX1 speakers and Hifiman Deva Pro headphone. Can I fit a subwoofer? I'm new into hifi world and I can't understand if it can work

frabor

Yes, either line or speaker level subs.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231027-180653.png
    Screenshot_20231027-180653.png
    726.6 KB · Views: 229

Iluzun

So I now own 2 of these great little units, one of each color. Superb sound thru pairs of 3way ADS 880’s and 86dB Musician Knight 1s. ADS fed by Nakamichi LX3, the Knight 1s a Rotel Tributes digital out. A single Rel T9i sounds fab thru the sub out. When I attempted to hook up 2 T9i’s using Rels preferred method I got a hum, so a single unit for now, until I can figure out a proper grounding method. e-Arc works great w/a 75” Samsung mini led as does the remote unit. Bluetooth sync and play is flawless. Have not attempted the usb-c inputs yet. Using the non sampling filter and run direct these little boxes perform well beyond price point expectations. I own much more expensive dacs, the SMSL VMV-D2 and the Benchmark D3 and love each for their powerful and flexible feature set when used with my AB amps. The D2 throws a huge soundstage and reclocked w/the LHY OCK-2 is a beautiful performer and a great listen. The Benchmark dazzles at the extreames and is a totally different experience, can you handle its honesty, it’s a pro tool and I love its integrated preamp functions and powerful variable output. The AO-300 sounds different in a pleasing and performative way, it’s got body down low and delicacy up high, punches hard, but has mids that strike the perfect balance of tone and texture. The Infineon MA5332MS amp and the CS43131 seem a perfect match, even handed, powerful, and beautifully musical. Spacious and tonally correct they can astonish in their liquid and transparent, effortless presentation. These really do sound great. I haven’t yet tried w/my Zu’s or my ProAcs or my Daedalus, Kefs, or Elacs, but they work the charm on mid 80’s big woofer units, my garage Pioneer cs99a’s were one of the original destinations, but I’m having trouble getting these out of my living room. I’d really be up for a pair of monoblocks w/a preamp that could offer a few balanced inputs. I’d like to hear the Topping Octo pairing as I love the presentation and musical balance, but I’m sure the clean, powerful, evenhandedness has much to do with the Infineon amp portion. Measured or not, this is good stuff…

Noodles

So I now own 2 of these great little units, one of each color. Superb sound thru pairs of 3way ADS 880’s and 86dB Musician Knight 1s. ADS fed by Nakamichi LX3, the Knight 1s a Rotel Tributes digital out. A single Rel T9i sounds fab thru the sub out. When I attempted to hook up 2 T9i’s using Rels preferred method I got a hum, so a single unit for now, until I can figure out a proper grounding method. e-Arc works great w/a 75” Samsung mini led as does the remote unit. Bluetooth sync and play is flawless. Have not attempted the usb-c inputs yet. Using the non sampling filter and run direct these little boxes perform well beyond price point expectations. I own much more expensive dacs, the SMSL VMV-D2 and the Benchmark D3 and love each for their powerful and flexible feature set when used with my AB amps. The D2 throws a huge soundstage and reclocked w/the LHY OCK-2 is a beautiful performer and a great listen. The Benchmark dazzles at the extreames and is a totally different experience, can you handle its honesty, it’s a pro tool and I love its integrated preamp functions and powerful variable output. The AO-300 sounds different in a pleasing and performative way, it’s got body down low and delicacy up high, punches hard, but has mids that strike the perfect balance of tone and texture. The Infineon MA5332MS amp and the CS43131 seem a perfect match, even handed, powerful, and beautifully musical. Spacious and tonally correct they can astonish in their liquid and transparent, effortless presentation. These really do sound great. I haven’t yet tried w/my Zu’s or my ProAcs or my Daedalus, Kefs, or Elacs, but they work the charm on mid 80’s big woofer units, my garage Pioneer cs99a’s were one of the original destinations, but I’m having trouble getting these out of my living room. I’d really be up for a pair of monoblocks w/a preamp that could offer a few balanced inputs. I’d like to hear the Topping Octo pairing as I love the presentation and musical balance, but I’m sure the clean, powerful, evenhandedness has much to do with the Infineon amp portion. Measured or not, this is good stuff…
does HDCP work properly on eARC? - powering one device powers the other ?
Does the volume control from the TV control the AO300 well or are there issues ?

Boegmunken

I wonder if the SUB OUT on this one actually allows for the subwoofer volume to be changed together with the speaker volume.

So far I haven't found one SMSL or other budget amp that does this properly.

strawberry644

does HDCP work properly on eARC? - powering one device powers the other ?
Does the volume control from the TV control the AO300 well or are there issues ?
I'm not sure about HDCP but I was able to use it with my 4k tv and xbox series x with uncompressed stereo output so I would assume HDCP works? could be a issue as HDCP changes in the future that's usually where you have issues with mixing new and old HDCP.

As for the volume control from what I've experienced with my Hisense tv (2022 U7h) is it seems like the tv controls the DAC volume or some kind of digital volume, and the the amp gain/volume is adjusted with the SMSL A0300 remote. it also doesn't support HDMI-CEC so it doesn't have any of the on and off features with the tv, you still need to power on the A0300 like a normal old AVR which was kinda sad not much of soundbar replacement for me without HDMI-CEC and the audio control from the ARC port being so basic

StefanSweden

I wonder if the SUB OUT on this one actually allows for the subwoofer volume to be changed together with the speaker volume.

Not sure If it's a budget amp, but the Powernode Edge does this.

strawberry644

the subwoofer out seems to work fine for me I believe it is has a crossover around 100hz that cant be changed (unsure on the slope either), kinda wish that was adjustable, but with my setup it seems to work properly I leave the subwoofer volume at 50% and use LFE

Corvuscorone

I have speakers and a subwoofer connected to the AO 200. A preamplifier is connected to the AO 200. The volume control of the preamplifier controls the subwoofer and main speakers normally. The volume of the subwoofer and speakers can also be controlled normally with the AO 200's volume control. The Topping dx3 pro+ dac/headphone amplifier is also connected to the preamplifier and through it the TV sound via coaxial. When the volume of the preamplifier is set high enough, the sound of the speakers and subwoofer can also be controlled with the TV remote control.

Last edited:

Boegmunken

I have speakers and a subwoofer connected to the AO 200. A preamplifier is connected to the AO 200. The volume control of the preamplifier controls the subwoofer and main speakers normally. The volume of the subwoofer and speakers can also be controlled normally with the AO 200's volume control. The Topping dx3 pro+ dac/headphone amplifier is also connected to the preamplifier and through it the TV sound via coaxial. When the volume of the preamplifier is set high enough, the sound of the speakers and subwoofer can also be controlled with the TV remote control.

My point was that using only an SMSL amp will not sync the subwoofer volume properly. I don't want to use a separate preamp for it to work properly.

StefanSweden

Oh sorry, nevermind. You meant that the Bluesound Powernode actually controls the subwoofer volume correctly - as opposed to the SMSL products - right?
Thank you for clarifying :)

I have no experience with the SMSL, unfortunately. The Powernode can low pass the sub and high pass the mains.

wavetrade

My point was that using only an SMSL amp will not sync the subwoofer volume properly. I don't want to use a separate preamp for it to work properly.
The sub out on the A300 works just fine. The sub volume goes up and down perfectly as you change the A300 volume. In addition it has a setting to filter the speakers and the sub. It does this at 100hz. You only have that one option though.

Corvuscorone

The sub out on the A300 works just fine. The sub volume goes up and down perfectly as you change the A300 volume. In addition it has a setting to filter the speakers and the sub. It does this at 100hz. You only have that one option though.
The AO 200 does the same thing. It does not need a separate preamplifier or dac.

Corvuscorone

The AO 200 volume control affects both the speakers and the subwoofer and changes their volume in the same way. You do not need a separate preamplifier. The AO 200 has two subwoofer outputs.

Ingarden

Can this amp be paired with a passive sub (well, probably not)?
What should I pay attention to when choosing a sub for AO300 (I will be looking for a used one)? Crossover adjustable above 100hz, that's for sure. Something more?

Boegmunken

That's not my experience with the A300.

On low volume the subwoofer volume is high compared to the speaker volume. On high volume the subwoofer "disappears" and the speakers take over.

Boegmunken

The AO 200 volume control affects both the speakers and the subwoofer and changes their volume in the same way. You do not need a separate preamplifier. The AO 200 has two subwoofer outputs.
Cool, so they fixed it in the AO200 as opposed to A100 and A300?

Top Bottom