• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New product - SMSL AO300

ziggurcat

I think you can try using a virtual machine to emulate Windows

Pretty sure all of that requires unnecessarily spending more money (I am not aware of any $0 method of doing this).

ziggurcat

Lisov_R

CrossOver
I don't have a Mac and I can't say exactly what might help. There are many different programs on the Internet. I think, if necessary, you can find both a virtual machine and an interpreter.

ziggurcat

CrossOver
I don't have a Mac and I can't say exactly what might help. There are many different programs on the Internet. I think, if necessary, you can find both a virtual machine and an interpreter.

Unfortunately, that's not free as it requires a subscription (free trial is likely going to limit what you can do).

Bottom line is: Mac users shouldn't have to go through these kinds of hoops in order to get a simple desktop amp to function correctly. There's simply no reason for SMSL to not have that option available because the onus is really on them to ensure that their products perform equally across all platforms.

Very glad that you were able to get yours to work, though :)

Raziel-ia

I probably had the latest firmware from the very beginning. There were no problems with clicks and other things. I decided to flash the firmware from the site. And I got that when turned on, DoP 2.8224 MHz is displayed and there is no sound. It was necessary to turn off and turn on the amplifier from the remote control. I wrote to support with a problem. I was sent the previous firmware. I flashed it and got clicks. I decided that it would be better to have a problem with logging on than with clicks. I flashed it again with the latest firmware and Lo and BEHOLD. All the problems are gone, everything, along with the clicks and the USB connection.
I am posting the firmware that was sent.
Hi, friend. Could you do a step by step of what you did so that it could work? I also have the factory firmware and it doesn't work, I still have the 2.8224mhz error.

grogi.giant

Basically, this unit is probably okay after FW update if you're on PC, but Mac users should look for something else since S.M.S.L. doesn't seem to care that there are people who don't use PC out there.

Just use a friend. Unless having a mac makes no more PC friends...

Lisov_R

Hi, friend. Could you do a step by step of what you did so that it could work? I also have the factory firmware and it doesn't work, I still have the 2.8224mhz error.
After two days it stopped working. Perhaps I turned off the power for a short period of time, from 5 minutes to 20 minutes. After it was turned off the whole night, it turned on again with DoP 2.8224 MHz.
So I was happy early.
But I’m wondering why I didn’t have any clicks or such a switch on with the firmware that came from the factory. Perhaps this bug appears precisely during flashing.

G-Can

So can anyone confirm if the humming buzzing from right channel is still there with these units after new firmwares?
Also, is there a pause in sound when scrubbing through YouTube, when connected through USB.

ziggurcat

So can anyone confirm if the humming buzzing from right channel is still there with these units after new firmwares?
Also, is there a pause in sound when scrubbing through YouTube, when connected through USB.

I had it, but it was coming from both channels. It took all of 10 minutes for me to unplug it all, box it back up, and send it back. Wasn't even going to try to waste my time getting it to work.

G-Can

I had it, but it was coming from both channels. It took all of 10 minutes for me to unplug it all, box it back up, and send it back. Wasn't even going to try to waste my time getting it to work.
Haha I gave it a chance for 10 days.
I was going crazy with noise from right channel.
I have tinitus on its own and this on top was driving me nuts.

ziggurcat

Haha I gave it a chance for 10 days.
I was going crazy with noise from right channel.
I have tinitus on its own and this on top was driving me nuts.

Because there was no reasonable means to be able to update the FW, it was an easy decision. I gave it the benefit of the doubt after I placed the order, hoping that the unit shipped with the current FW already installed. I even contacted SMSL ahead of time, and received no answer, so they obviously don't care.

FWiW, I am 100% happy with the Topping MX5 (would strongly recommend giving it a shot). And the plus side is Topping actually releases FW updates for Mac users, too, they don't gatekeep it behind a PC wall.

G-Can

Because there was no reasonable means to be able to update the FW, it was an easy decision. I gave it the benefit of the doubt after I placed the order, hoping that the unit shipped with the current FW already installed. I even contacted SMSL ahead of time, and received no answer, so they obviously don't care.

FWiW, I am 100% happy with the Topping MX5 (would strongly recommend giving it a shot). And the plus side is Topping actually releases FW updates for Mac users, too, they don't gatekeep it behind a PC wall.

agree,

how often these come on sale, A0300 few weeks ago could of been bought an amazon for 311+tax, (canadian)
I see MX5 is listed for 389+tax right now.

Is there anything else like this, that has dac and amp combined, and to have usb and optical in?
so far I know of SMSL A0300, Topping MX5, and WiimAmp
I am leaning towards WiimAmp because it has Chromecast built In, so I dont need to mess around with Chromecast Audio and having extra wires on the table. I need a simple clean functional device.

anything Im missing?

ziggurcat

agree,

how often these come on sale, A0300 few weeks ago could of been bought an amazon for 311+tax, (canadian)
I see MX5 is listed for 389+tax right now.

Is there anything else like this, that has dac and amp combined, and to have usb and optical in?
so far I know of SMSL A0300, Topping MX5, and WiimAmp
I am leaning towards WiimAmp because it has Chromecast built In, so I dont need to mess around with Chromecast Audio and having extra wires on the table. I need a simple clean functional device.

anything Im missing?

There's Loxjie, I think.

z0s0123

I'm getting a significant background hum in my subwoofer (but nothing weird from the L&R speakers) even with no media playing.

It's just a regular subwoofer output for a powered sub right? Nothing unusual I should need to do to set it up?

ziggurcat

I'm getting a significant background hum in my subwoofer (but nothing weird from the L&R speakers) even with no media playing.

It's just a regular subwoofer output for a powered sub right? Nothing unusual I should need to do to set it up?

There is a small chance that that isn't related to the AO300.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Does anybody know for sure that the AO300 applies a crossover filter for the sub out the same as the A300? When setting the A300 up you have to select a mode that is specific to a 2.1 speaker configuration. The AO300 simply asks if the output is Speakers or Headphones, no mention of speakers with a sub as well. That wouldn't really matter though would it? Your sub has a crossover anyway. What would be amazing is a setting to crossover the mains so that say everything 80Hz and below goes to the sub. Would be a blunt instrument, but in that respect still fairly useful for many casual users.

z0s0123

There is a small chance that that isn't related to the AO300.
So I ran some testing by using a separate DAC/preamp to drive my subwoofer, vs the AO300. There is no hum when connected to the other device, only the AO300. So I strongly suspect that the AO300 is not grounded properly.

Anyone else running a sub off their AO300?

A Surfer

Major Contributor
So I ran some testing by using a separate DAC/preamp to drive my subwoofer, vs the AO300. There is no hum when connected to the other device, only the AO300. So I strongly suspect that the AO300 is not grounded properly.

Anyone else running a sub off their AO300?
I am. Only tested it once, but I heard no hum. I'll listen tomorrow night and see if I hear him.

Top Bottom