• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New product - SMSL AO300

Raziel-ia

Have you tried flashing the device?

That's what I'm asking the store to send me file 1 without updating it or to show me a way to leave it from the factory without updating it. The engineer still hasn't found the bug we have.

Hollywood_Bob

I reinstalled the usb driver, and then hit reset, and since last night, things are working OK
That's what I'm asking the store to send me file 1 without updating it or to show me a way to leave it from the factory without updating it. The engineer still hasn't found the bug we have.
Things have settled down for me. It's been over 24 hours and all the connections are working.

The process that I think worked is:

Reinstall USB Driver
Reinstall Update
Press RESET in menu

Raziel-ia

I reinstalled the usb driver, and then hit reset, and since last night, things are working OK

Things have settled down for me. It's been over 24 hours and all the connections are working.

The process that I think worked is:

Reinstall USB Driver
Reinstall Update
Press RESET in menu
I tried it about 20 times, it didn't work. Do you remember the exact step by step of what you did?

Hollywood_Bob

No, not clearly.

The AUX connection usually has worked, and I have my Topping e30 dac connected to the amp by the RCA AUX connection, and the E30 is getting the signal from the computer via a USB connection.

I tried the Coaxial connection once by connecting an old Sony DVD player, and it works.

When the Optical and USB connections aren't working, they show 2.822.

Now that they are working, when I first turn on the amp with the remote, they both first show 2.822 and then after a few seconds, they show USB 44.1khz and Optical 48kHz.

I take this to mean that somehow, the amp is recognizing the analogue signal through the AUX connection, but not the digital signals through the Optical and USB connections, which is odd because it does recognize the digital signal from the Coaxial connection.

Is the digital signal from USB and Optical not getting recognized by the internal dac? Not likely, because the Coaxial signal is getting recognized.

Anyway, I had disconnected everything and put the amp back in the box to return it.

Then one more try.

I connected the electrical plug (and nothing else), turned on the amp with the back toggle switch, then turned off the amp with the remote.

I then connected the USB, ran the USB driver, which required a restart of the computer to finish the install, and then turned on the amp with the remote.

I think (but not sure) that I then ran the update.

Turned off the amp with the remote.

Turned on the amp with the remote, and pressed RESET.

Turned off the amp with the remote.

Turned on the amp with the remote, and the connections work.

Last edited:

bcfc

Hello. please tell me how this amplifier sounds via bluetooth? Really great compared to older smsl models?
In general, what model of Qualcomm chip is inside there.

Ingarden

Hello. please tell me how this amplifier sounds via bluetooth? Really great compared to older smsl models?
In general, what model of Qualcomm chip is inside there.
Sounds fine and I haven't noticed any problems. LDAC and AptX are supported, checked on Android (well, it's hard to be sure, but the device displays them as in use at the time of playback). I assume it's exactly the same chip as in the a300, so there are no differences in terms of BT functionality / sound quality.

Charlot

Update.

I bought another one from Ashoida. (Again black)
I spoke to them and they knew nothing about these problems.

+
  • The beeping of the tweeter is gone. (Which was my main problem)

-
  • No beeping but a small amount of pink noise in the tweeter. It gets louder at higher volumes (50+). But this is not a problem for me. You really have to get your ear close to the tweeter. I consider this to be normal.
  • The flickering in the display is still there, but thats not a problem for me. (ofc it is still not right to sell such a product)
Hello,

Exactly the same here. The product is not flawless of course but my second one works. I bought a black one as well

bcfc

Sounds fine and I haven't noticed any problems. LDAC and AptX are supported, checked on Android (well, it's hard to be sure, but the device displays them as in use at the time of playback). I assume it's exactly the same chip as in the a300, so there are no differences in terms of BT functionality / sound quality.
The A300 model does not support the LDAC codec; it should sound worse over Bluetooth.

Hollywood_Bob

This is from the Manual for the AO300, on the Page headed FEATURES

The latest Bluetooth supports LDAC,APTX/HD,SBC,AAC

ziggurcat

I just ordered this amp, and I'm hoping that I do not encounter any/most of the issues that have been outlined in this thread. As I am also a Mac user, I would love to find out of @Schlippwhip68 got any follow up from SMSL about the firmware update situation. I have also contacted them, but since you have been in discussion with them already, it might be faster to get that info from you (also I could cross reference what they told you with whatever information they give me). I understand that the FW resolves some of the issues that have been mentioned, but if they lock Mac users out of being able to update the silly thing, that could be a problem for me.

I have had to return a Topping MX5 (which, in my limited experience with this kind of gear, sounded absolutely fantastic) that had a defective dial, so I thought I would try the AO300 instead. The MX5 had some very minor popping when switching output modes (i.e. headphones, speakers, etc...) or even pressing the Mute button on the remote (though that was fixed in a FW update that they also made available for Mac users to download/install), so that's not so much a concern. What could be bothersome are the reports of sound cutting out for the first few seconds/periodically afterwards or even the pops when starting up an app on the computer/every time you select a song, etc..

As far as the "hiss" from the tweeter is concerned: that just seems like normal noise floor stuff that I have heard with pretty much every single amp I've owned. It's always only ever been audible when my ear is within an inch or less to the tweeter.

At any rate, I get this thing on Tuesday next week. I am looking forward to trying it out, but I'm also a little bit anxious.

To those who have been using this unit for a while: how is the heat since it doesn't seem to have any vent holes anywhere?

Hollywood_Bob

Here's a couple of pics of the interior of the AO300 from the audiophonics website.

I haven't noticed any heat from the unit.

That's one of the attributes of the MA5332MS, so apparently no need for a heat sink and it has a smaller footprint.

But that black thing in the middle, is it a heatsink?

Attachments

• smsl-ao300-class-d-amplifier-ma5332ms-headphone-amplifier-dac-cs43131-2x165w-4-32bit-768khz-ds...jpg
    smsl-ao300-class-d-amplifier-ma5332ms-headphone-amplifier-dac-cs43131-2x165w-4-32bit-768khz-ds...jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 209
  • smsl-ao300-class-d-amplifier-ma5332ms-headphone-amplifier-dac-cs43131-2x165w-4-32bit-768khz-ds...jpg
    smsl-ao300-class-d-amplifier-ma5332ms-headphone-amplifier-dac-cs43131-2x165w-4-32bit-768khz-ds...jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 208

Proost

Here's a couple of pics of the interior of the AO300 from the audiophonics website.

I haven't noticed any heat from the unit.

That's one of the attributes of the MA5332MS, so apparently no need for a heat sink and it has a smaller footprint.

But that black thing in the middle, is it a heatsink?
Yes

Proost

Have some connection problems with Bluetooth, have to often try many times to get a connection.

ziggurcat

Have some connection problems with Bluetooth, have to often try many times to get a connection.

That's typical of Bluetooth in my experience.

ziggurcat

My AO300 is expected to arrive today. Hopefully it all goes well, but I technically can't install the latest FW update because they seem to think Mac users don't exist.

EDIT:

Received the unit, immediately disappointed. It's going back right away, I'm not even going to bother fighting with this thing to get it to work correctly. Issues are: 1. Buzzing/High-pitched squeal from speakers that is audible from three feet away (I believe it's the same issue that @Raziel-ia was referring to, but in my case it was emitting from both speakers), pops/clicks any time there's any sort of selection in the menu (whether it be from the remote or directly on the AO300 itself). Didn't think it even sounded that great, either. And with no real way to update the FW, it's fit for the pit. Thank God for Amazon's return policy.

I've re-ordered the Topping MX5 because it sounded phenomenal right out of the gate, and the only thing wrong with it was a defective front dial. They even have a FW update that's available for Mac users. I also added the E50 DAC (which has reviewed very, very well here).

Last edited:

szezya

Привет. Я здесь впервые. Кто пробовал этот аппарат с наушниками с высоким импедансом (150-300 ОМ)? Нигде не могу найти характеристики усилителя для наушников. Может он прокачает такое сопротивление?

Translated by Moderator: Please use English going forward. Thank you.

“Hello. I'm here for the first time. Has anyone tried this device with high impedance headphones (150-300 ohm)? I can't find headphone amplifier specs anywhere. Can he pump up such resistance?”

Last edited by a moderator:

Lisov_R

I probably had the latest firmware from the very beginning. There were no problems with clicks and other things. I decided to flash the firmware from the site. And I got that when turned on, DoP 2.8224 MHz is displayed and there is no sound. It was necessary to turn off and turn on the amplifier from the remote control. I wrote to support with a problem. I was sent the previous firmware. I flashed it and got clicks. I decided that it would be better to have a problem with logging on than with clicks. I flashed it again with the latest firmware and Lo and BEHOLD. All the problems are gone, everything, along with the clicks and the USB connection.
I am posting the firmware that was sent.

Attachments

• SMSL_AO300_UPDATE_VER0V0_CN.zip
    150.6 KB · Views: 122

ziggurcat

I probably had the latest firmware from the very beginning. There were no problems with clicks and other things. I decided to flash the firmware from the site. And I got that when turned on, DoP 2.8224 MHz is displayed and there is no sound. It was necessary to turn off and turn on the amplifier from the remote control. I wrote to support with a problem. I was sent the previous firmware. I flashed it and got clicks. I decided that it would be better to have a problem with logging on than with clicks. I flashed it again with the latest firmware and Lo and BEHOLD. All the problems are gone, everything, along with the clicks and the USB connection.
I am posting the firmware that was sent.

Basically, this unit is probably okay after FW update if you're on PC, but Mac users should look for something else since S.M.S.L. doesn't seem to care that there are people who don't use PC out there.

Lisov_R

Basically, this unit is probably okay after FW update if you're on PC, but Mac users should look for something else since S.M.S.L. doesn't seem to care that there are people who don't use PC out there.
I think you can try using a virtual machine to emulate Windows

Top Bottom