• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New mysterious Genelec monitors

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
All of this doesn't really matter. What matters is the resulting frequency response, SPL capabilities, directivity and so on.

The KEF Blade Meta are extremely good in all those things despite using a passive crossover. But not only cost-no-object speakers like the Blades can achieve good results with passive components. Their new R Meta series also measures extremely well.

I also think it's a lot easier to find good looking passive speakers.
The Ones , Kii and D&D look pretty nice but most other actives are targeted towards studios where looks are not a priority.

All of this doesn't really matter. What matters is the resulting frequency response, SPL capabilities, directivity and so on.

The KEF Blade Meta are extremely good in all those things despite using a passive crossover. But not only cost-no-object speakers like the Blades can achieve good results with passive components. Their new R Meta series also measures extremely well.

The Ones , Kii and D&D look pretty nice but most other actives are targeted towards studios where looks are not a priority.
I am always perplexed when on a forum such as ASR, people value looks over performance. There are many HiFi sites that cater to those who value looks over performance. I have 8030s and can buy a set of 8361As tomorrow, but it's a bit too much for my apartment. I think the Ones look amazing and have a minimalist appearance with the woofers hidden. KEF people are an interesting bunch with close relation to Bose and Apple people!

You reply with "What matters is the resulting frequency response, SPL capabilities, directivity and so on."

Then praise the KEF as "extremely good" despite the ugly spinorama image linked below.

If you are going to tell me I need to "feel" and "believe" the KEF sound to know the difference over the Genelec, I have an inline power supply and special cables to sell you.

KEF Blade Two Meta

8361A

Curvature

Major Contributor
Then praise the KEF as "extremely good" despite the ugly spinorama image linked below.
You are sorely mistaken about the measurements in the image. Work on your technical knowledge.

The spinorama is here:
blade-2-spec.png

Curvature

Major Contributor
Theoretically how would 8381 compare to top audiophile speakers like Focal Utopia and Magico M series ?View attachment 290057View attachment 290058
The real answer is we won't know without measurements. It's an uncomfortable answer, but that's the only one we have.

In the case of the Focal, the sole available measurement shows plenty of flaws: https://www.hifinews.com/content/focal-grande-utopia-em-evo-loudspeaker-lab-report
But then the measurement is also not very reliable.

HairyEars

All in the eyes of the beholder, my friend. I’ve never seen a set of speakers I’ve considered beautiful. The more the designer tries, the uglier the outcome. However, if the sound enchants me, the speakers gradually become eyecandies.

Last edited:

pierre

Forum Donor

Sokel

Master Contributor
The Genelec crossover is a DSP. There is a huge advantage to being a DSP because you can filter everything with math while a normal active or passive crossover requires more components the more filters you want to add. Also, there are filters in DSP that cant be replicated in analog or passive components (FIR filters and time delays).
An (active) all pass filter can add all the delay you like (at the expense of other things of course,like any filter,including DSP ones)

Edit:example of an analog active X-over with delay settings:

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
These Seem to be a little inspired by 8381 lol with dual 15 inch also
FB_IMG_1685913839995.jpg
FB_IMG_1685913834921.jpg
FB_IMG_1685913829768.jpg
FB_IMG_1685913824685.jpg

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Their smaller speakers are extremely coloured ( and a difficult load) So really nothing in common with Genelec.
Keith

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Any idea why they used 15 inch instead of 18 inch drivers like on 1236?
Screenshot_20230613_174731_Chrome.jpg

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably because they have 3 and still wanted the box to look compact (enough). Also directivity wise it should match the horn and the 4 drivers.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Probably because they have 3 and still wanted the box to look compact (enough). Also directivity wise it should match the horn and the 4 drivers.
Let's say they replaced the bottom 2 woofers to 18 and left the top one @15
Would that work ?

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am always perplexed when on a forum such as ASR, people value looks over performance. There are many HiFi sites that cater to those who value looks over performance. I have 8030s and can buy a set of 8361As tomorrow, but it's a bit too much for my apartment. I think the Ones look amazing and have a minimalist appearance with the woofers hidden. KEF people are an interesting bunch with close relation to Bose and Apple people!

You reply with "What matters is the resulting frequency response, SPL capabilities, directivity and so on."

If you are going to tell me I need to "feel" and "believe" the KEF sound to know the difference over the Genelec, I have an inline power supply and special cables to sell you.

KEF Blade Two Meta

8361A

When performance approaches or surpasses perceptual thresholds, ie, when thing sound really good, other factors become more important. I would absolutely choose a DAC or Amp based on feature set, appearance, and the ethics of the producer before looking at performance, so long as it clears a reasonable threshold; which many products can do.

Performance in speakers is more differentiating than electronics, but with speakers there is always a qualitative dimension. Some people may prefer wider or narrower dispersion, some may prefer more or less bass. These are legitimate preferences.

juliangst

Anyone who can afford and accomodate such large main monitors will probably have some money left for some 21" subs or Genelec's own 7382 subs

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Anyone who can afford and accomodate such large main monitors will probably have some money left for some 21" subs or Genelec's own 7382 subs
Yes but what's the point of having a big full range main monitor if you need to add subs

Top Bottom