• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New mysterious Genelec monitors

dasdoing

Major Contributor
I wont read all the pages but I hope you guys allready found out there is a 5th midrange in the middle. allready saw 3 pages and nobody noticed. it was mentioned in the pre-video PDF, I mentioned that the PDF mentioned it here pre-video. AND it was in the video right at the start.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I wont read all the pages but I hope you guys allready found out there is a 5th midrange in the middle. allready saw 3 pages and nobody noticed. it was mentioned in the pre-video PDF, I mentioned that the PDF mentioned it here pre-video. AND it was in the video right at the start.
I thought everyone knew about it from the first second

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Haha yes in some sense I almost forgot about that. Yeah that one is probably the true midrange but the other 4 are more midbass I believe. Then the front woofer is also some form of midbass. Then the last 2 woofers are probably the true woofers?

Because they say it’s a 5-way.

I’m really curious to learn how it configures its crossovers. If it has any of those bass steering modes of the w371. Is complementary mode the only mode? I suppose the directivity is purely acoustic now?

So many questions.

It could be that because they are crossing over the 4 midbass drivers lower that it becomes essentially point source kind of like how the 2 bass drivers in an 8351 sound like they are coincident to the coaxial driver?

This thing coming out of the blue is just crazy.

fineMen

Major Contributor
Thanks for sharing! Gave me the opportunity, after 10 seconds reading diagonally, to identify a first funny fallacy right away:

For example, if you have a loudspeaker that has a natural resonance at 110 Hz (two octaves below a “Concert A”, to musicians) then it will naturally ring at that note when it is “hit” with an impulsive signal such as a kick drum. If the song that the band is playing is not in A (major or minor), but in B-Flat instead, then there will be a dissonance between the notes played most often in the song, and the note that is “singing along” with the kick drum ... ... ...

What's wrong with this claim, do you know?

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Which is more accurate as near field
8361 or or 8381? :)

dasdoing

Major Contributor
This whole product launch has me rather perplexed and shaking my head: what was Genelec thinking by hyping this big unveiling? Too, based on some of the snarky comments, is this marketing effort potentially backfiring on them? Is this a Genelec attempt at an Apple-esque event, gone a wee-bit sour?

Thinking outloud:

If the MSRP is truly $75K +/- :

- how many pairs are they forecasting to sell per year? A dozen? Perhaps two dozen?

- who is their target audience - Pro studios who will already be reading about these in trade mags/ blogs, etc? Genelec FanBoys with, "stupid" money (sorry) who are going to buy the most expensive Genelec product no matter what the price.

- how much did they spend to produce the video launch? Granted, as of now, they've had 1162 viewers. Realistically, how many incremental sales will they generate from that video yet how much will the professional production cost of that video add to the cost of each pair of 8381's?

If I were the product manager for a high-end product like these speakers, I'd take a different approach.

- I'd spend my marketing money shipping a speaker (and hydraulic lift) to Amir for testing thus creating some buzz (with the agreement that I could use Amir's comments on the product web page.)

- spend my time talking to pro-audio writers;

- spend my budget attending at well targeted trade shows attended by high-end Genelec dealers rather than creating a great unveiling for a product that is probably priced above 98% of even an, "audiophile" audience like ASR.

To me, this, "great unveiling" really missed the mark. Apparently a very nice speaker but very silly marketing.

they are marketing the brand, not the specific product. look how big this thread allready is....and it has "Genelec" all over it.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Informative document—it's like a primer on stereo image, with pictures—thanks.
Never bought any of their products as I look at them like a lifestyle brand. But that manual let’s me take them a lot more seriously than I normally would. Just have to be rich though.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
it sounded like they ment 5 amps. there are 2 corssovers, so it is a 3 way, no?
No I watched (rather listened) to the presentation on my commute this morning. It’s a 5 way. Actually just like the 8351/w371.

It seems like the 4 5” do the job of the 2 race track drivers. The 2 side woofers do the job of the 12” rear. The front probably does the same job as that front 14”.

All probably. I’m not exactly sure and they are being very quiet about it.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Both dramatic unbelievable overkill for nearfield.
Where’s that picture again? Now I understand why.

I’m sure Pearl Jam knows where it is.

Found it:
1684284853203.jpeg

You really can’t be too close to these.

Last edited:

dasdoing

Major Contributor
No I watched (rather listened) to the presentation on my commute this morning. It’s a 5 way. Actually just like the 8351/w371.

It seems like the 4 5” do the job of the 2 race track drivers. The 2 side woofers do the job of the 12” rear. The front probably does the same job as that front 14”.

All probably. I’m not exactly sure and they are being very quiet about it.

I edited my coment after you saw and before you responded.

"50–130 Hz (variable), 150–250 Hz (variable), c 500 Hz, 1800 Hz".

you are probably right

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Erin has a video out regarding his thoughts

thecheapseats

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Q: What is meant by constant delay and phase? What are then the real-world advantages of having constant delay and phase?
A: See the numerical explanation below (copied from the brochure). Small group delay variation and linear phase response result in improved sound quality. There are other manufacturers as well who put a lot of emphasis to produce phase linear loudspeakers, such as Meyer Sound, Kii Audio, Dutch & Dutch, just to name a few recent ones. This is not the first Genelec to have such qualities, for example all current The Ones models are designed using the same principles.

View attachment 285880

Q: The crossover frequencies are now precised to be "50–130 Hz (variable), 150–250 Hz (variable), c 500 Hz, 1800 Hz". Without revealing the secret sauce of the GLM software, could you give pointers on how these variable crossover frequencies are chosen?
A: Variable crossover frequencies are chosen based on the in-house developed WooferCal algorithm introduced in the W371A. It measures each individual channel’s in-room response and selects the crossovers which produce the best end result.

Q: How do you deal with the comb filtering problem?
A: By designing a monitoring loudspeaker which does not have a comb filtering problem. See the published off-axis frequency response data.

Q: Is there a passive crossover filter between the coax tweeter and midrange?
A: No, all filters are active.

Q: Can the top unit be bought separately?
A: No, the 8381A is sold only as a full unit which includes the top and bottom cabinets and their respectable amplifiers. You would not buy a car without a gearbox either, it would not work as intended (yes, I am aware there are cars without gearboxes).

Q: How many channels/ways are there?
A: Five individual channels: coax tweeter, coax midrange, quad midrange, front woofer, dual side woofers. Each driven with their own amplifier channel.

Q: Will the new coaxial driver see itself as an upgrade for smaller The Ones models?
A: No, the 8381A coaxial is completely different design and would not acoustically or mechanically fit to smaller The Ones models. For example, the cone angle is much steeper which is required for the narrower dispersion. Also, the compression tweeter is required for the high SPL capability.

Q: Are the quad midrange dome drivers off-the-shelf units?
A: No, they are completely designed and manufactured in-house at Genelec.

Q: Is the compression tweeter the same as in S360A?
A: No, 8381A has a smaller 13 mm (½-in) throat which is needed for the 35 kHz top end extension.

Q: What material is the cabinet made of?
A: Cabinets are made of premium quality MDF with critical bracing to minimize panel vibrations. The large DCW housing the coax and quad midrange units is made of aluminium.

Q: How much?
A: MSRP is not public information due to POA pricing approach. We will kindly ask you to contact the nearest Genelec dealer or distributor for local pricing and availability.
Thank You very much for that information... best of luck with the roll out...

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor

Found it: View attachment 285927

I define near field as 1-3 meters distance
I'm just thinking about the future if I move to a bigger room and I'm stuck with small monitors with no SPL it'll be a problem

dfuller

Major Contributor

Found it: View attachment 285927

"too close" is not the problem. It's that they're absolutely gigantic - even the 8361s are quite large.

Top Bottom