• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

stringer

Hi. I live in Richmond, VA. I am not really an audiophile but I am thinking about becoming one someday. I joined because I am interested in audio/technology/music/home theater/tinkering, etc. I've enjoyed lurking for the last several months and looking forward to joining into y'all's various discussions. I have what I consider to be a pretty decent two channel setup for both audio and home theater. But there's always room for improvement!

My current kit:
Mostly I use Amazon Unlimited via a Fire Stick routed through the TV optical jack as a source for music
Uturn Orbit Pro turntable
Rotel RA1572 mk ii integrated amp
Martin Logan SL3 electrostatics (second owner, original panels, still amazing)

Fosi DS1 DAC dongle
Sennheiser HD569 Headphones

My next major upgrade is going to be a 12" sub to help boost bass for movies.

I've also got the wiim pro streamer on my Christmas list.

And I am in planning stages for outdoor audio for my patio and deck

Thanks @amirm for providing a good place to discuss this hobby/passion/rabbit hole.

ozzy9832001

Honestly, if you have a passion for sound, you're an audiophile. Doesn't matter what your equipment is.

I recommend to do things in phases and always make sure you enjoy and appreciate the sound you have. Sure it can always be better in some capacity, but it's that passion that makes us who we are, not some piece of gear.

Welcome to ASR.

middlemarch

Forum Donor
This is by no means an original suggestion, but I'd really recommend downloading a copy of REW and buying a calibrated microphone. Then spend the time, and I'm talking many months on and off, learning how to use them to at least a basic level of proficiency. This before you even think about buying any new equipment.

This and reading a bunch in these forums and some of the other good ones (there aren't many) will get you into the groove so to speak. Once you feel like you know what you've got, not just your equipment but the room(s) it's in, then you can begin to explore options (or maybe you won't want to, not a bad thing). The key thing is to establish some kind of objective (measurable) baseline that you can hang your hat on.

I would do this before even buying that first sub, because doing subwoofer integration properly is typically the first major step as you head down that rabbit hole;)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The basic definition of audiophile is someone who seeks out hi-fidelity sound reproduction....so seems you're already one, sorry. It's not a test of taste and/or hearing skills....

Sounds like good basic gear and goals you have in any case.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
My current kit:
Mostly I use Amazon Unlimited via a Fire Stick routed through the TV optical jack as a source for music
Uturn Orbit Pro turntable
Rotel RA1572 mk ii integrated amp
Martin Logan SL3 electrostatics (second owner, original panels, still amazing)

It's always good to have some Martin Logan owners in the ASR mix. They understand laser-precision imaging and focus when it comes to soundstage placement. They may clash with the monkey-coffin aficionados, but it's all in fun.

Your Rotel is, and will become, a modern classic IMO.

Welcome to ASR. :)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's always good to have some Martin Logan owners in the ASR mix. They understand laser-precision imaging and focus when it comes to soundstage placement. They may clash with the monkey-coffin aficionados, but it's all in fun.

Your Rotel is, and will become, a modern classic IMO.

Welcome to ASR. :)
If typical cone speaker enclosures are monkey coffins, does that make electrostatics giant bug zappers? :)

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If typical cone speaker enclosures are monkey coffins, does that make electrostatics giant bug zappers? :)
Both definitions/images are correct. Both can be repurposed as their monikers. What for the non-enclosed cone speakers such as the Linkwitz LX 521.4?

:)

And @stringer, Welcome to ASR!

Peace.

Last edited:
OP
S

stringer

This is by no means an original suggestion, but I'd really recommend downloading a copy of REW and buying a calibrated microphone. Then spend the time, and I'm talking many months on and off, learning how to use them to at least a basic level of proficiency. This before you even think about buying any new equipment.

This and reading a bunch in these forums and some of the other good ones (there aren't many) will get you into the groove so to speak. Once you feel like you know what you've got, not just your equipment but the room(s) it's in, then you can begin to explore options (or maybe you won't want to, not a bad thing). The key thing is to establish some kind of objective (measurable) baseline that you can hang your hat on.

I would do this before even buying that first sub, because doing subwoofer integration properly is typically the first major step as you head down that rabbit hole;)

Before the Rotel I had an Anthem MRX 520. I still have the mic from that. I understand that the calibration file for that mic is unavailable because Anthem considers it proprietary. But it might work well enough for me to start playing around with REW.

Top Bottom