• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Home Friendly Speaker Design from Ikea

OP
Wes

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
does it remind anybody or a Maggie LRS?

I fixed the extra pic so now it's in mono

Somafunk

Major Contributor
I imagine for the majority of purchasers the sound from this speaker (if it is not an April fools troll, which I think it is) will be perfectly decent for the price and average consumer who merely wants something to play music with zero faff as i guess it’s WiFi enabled, as like their collaboration with Sonos on the symfonisk range which sound decent enough, not hifi sound quality but perfectly listenable as everyday background noise generators.

Its far to easy to stamp the hifi bore ethos on others choice of lifestyle audio products and is rather off putting/elitist in attitude.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Its far to easy to stamp the hifi bore ethos on others choice of lifestyle audio products and is rather off putting/elitist in attitude.

Some of my fondest memories were playing the Cars debut album until the woofers jumped right out of our large Advent speakers.

In the same way my dog smells different after a bath (I would not say "better") my home playback sounds different compared to a lifetime ago.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
What about an Ikea lamp speaker?

View attachment 121494
kind of resembles a popular health aid/sex toy, doesn't it?
1617367918990.png

Perhaps the IKEA Büz ? :rolleyes:

Speaking of IKEA (I love IKEA... well, OK, maybe a love/hate relationship):
https://www.npr.org/2021/04/01/9835...ues-are-becoming-podcasts-after-ikeas-success

For some reason, I didn't realize this was ATC's traditional April Fool "news item" until after it was over, and I was ruminating on the idea of "FCC podcast licenses". :p

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
In the same way my dog smells different after a bath (I would not say "better") my home playback sounds different compared to a lifetime ago.
This is a phrase that I am just dying to see in an audiophile magazine review of a component. :)
Maybe @Kal Rubinson could offer it up at work... ;)

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
This is a phrase that I am just dying to see in an audiophile magazine review of a component. :)
Maybe @Kal Rubinson could offer it up at work... ;)
Perhaps in the future. I don't believe encouraging impressionable audiophiles to begin sniffing around during a pandemic is a good idea.:facepalm:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Upon reflection -- perhaps it sounds more like an outtake from one of the late, great Julian Hirsh's reviews.

I found that Amplifier A [under test] sounded different than Amplfier B [tested last month] but, in the same way that my dog smells different after a bath, I would not necessarily conclude that different means better.

1617376487195.png

(full disclosure: I always enjoyed his reviews, even though he would go to great lengths to avoid offering an opinion as to whether he liked or loathed any given component under test -- perhaps to his credit!)

Propheticus

Is that a bass reflex port at the top? So almost infinite baffle style (combined with the wall) and a sleek case with reflex piping. Curious how much of a one note bass wonder this is. With some dsp might be fine as a 'lifestyle' ambient music solution.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Eneby 30 is suprisingly good. But I guess few here have it.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Maybe there is an optional Eneby subwoofer disguised as a footstool to give some semblance of bass to this abomination.

A lot of plastic with huge front. Resonances i hear you ringing. Maybe wise to go not bigger. ;)

Top Bottom