• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Apple Music App for Classical

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

just1n

Forum Donor
Looks like it’s coming out March 28th.

AudioKC

It has been released. I love it. Easy to find good version of recordings. Good catalog organization and search by instrument.

Nice!

RosalieTheDog

Nice! Not about to change streaming provider, but here's to hoping other services follow this example!

middlemarch

Forum Donor
"But no ability to control my Apple TV. So to listen on my AVR I still need to use the normal Apple Music

You can Airplay to the ATV from the phone

middlemarch

Forum Donor
No, but this app is only available on the phone so far, so until it gets released on the ATV (hopefully soon) there is no way to listen to it in full discrete atmos

Jbrunwa

No, but this app is only available on the phone so far, so until it gets released on the ATV (hopefully soon) there is no way to listen to it in full discrete atmos
But if you search in the app using the metadata, you can add it to your library. Then it appears in Apple Music, and if you have library sync enabled, won’t that show up in Apple TV?

middlemarch

Forum Donor
You're way ahead of me, I haven't even loaded the app on my phone yet! Will definitely have to try that, do you have it up and running? Not sure yet how this is integrated in the regular Music ecosystem, but am eager to hear more. Guess I'd better download the thing...

Honestly I get most of my Classical diet from the Evergreen channel on King FM, our favorite channel in this house

OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

middlemarch

Forum Donor
They apparently do, I just looked at the regular Apple Music app on my laptop and there are quite a number of selections, plus they indicate you can play them on a full system using the ATV, so Jbrunwa is correct, if you can get it to the ATV you can play them from the existing Music app. This from the Music app:

"When you’re listening to classical music in Spatial Audio with Dolby Atmos, it’s as though you’re in the concert hall, standing side by side with the conductor, awash in the magnificent sound of a full orchestra. It’s a three-dimensional listening experience, one in which every detail and every instrument feels clear and close—from the swell of a string section to a virtuosic wind solo to the thunder of timpani and every vibration of the hammer. Handpicked by our editors, this playlist brings that listening experience to life with a selection of known pieces as well as those you’ve maybe yet to discover."

Jbrunwa

They apparently do, I just looked at the regular Apple Music app on my laptop and there are quite a number of selections, plus they indicate you can play them on a full system using the ATV, so Jbrunwa is correct, if you can get it to the ATV you can play them from the existing Music app. This from the Music app:

"When you’re listening to classical music in Spatial Audio with Dolby Atmos, it’s as though you’re in the concert hall, standing side by side with the conductor, awash in the magnificent sound of a full orchestra. It’s a three-dimensional listening experience, one in which every detail and every instrument feels clear and close—from the swell of a string section to a virtuosic wind solo to the thunder of timpani and every vibration of the hammer. Handpicked by our editors, this playlist brings that listening experience to life with a selection of known pieces as well as those you’ve maybe yet to discover."
Yes. Just now playing Mahler Symphony No. 9 by Vienna Phil on Apple Music in Atmos on Apple TV

EDIT: BTW, Apple Music aside, the Berlin Phil digital orchestra subscription is wonderful on Apple TV through our HT

Last edited:

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

The content is in the normal Music app, for example the Berliner Philharmoniker and Wiener Philharmoniker Atmos stuff. Also they’ve added orchestral recordings. One I’ve noticed is the Bernstein “Ode to Freedom” - recording of the Ninth to celebrate German reunification. Apple didn’t have that when I looked for it about a month ago.

mkt

Top Bottom