• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New active speakers just bought. Is it normal for the Highs to come out of the ... woofer?

regan

Just bought a brand new pair of Edifier S3000PRO.

They don't sound good, proper highs missing. I've tried different connections (USB and BT) and played with the Treble/Bass buttons from the back with no success.

There's absolutely no sound whatsoever coming out of the tweeter. I made a test and the highs are coming out of the 6.5' woofer (up to 10khz). Is this normal? I'm really confused at how the "woofer" has a range up to 10khz.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds like they're pooched.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Of course. I just wasn't expecting for it to go that high without the tweeter.

Uhm... what's that?
Pooched = broken

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sounds like they didn't program the DSP correctly. The woofer playing up to 10kHz is not surprising, it will just sound bad because of breakup modes and beaming.

It is fortunate you get a chance to return them, because $800 a pair for those speakers is criminal. Edifier does not put out good quality products, and the 2 year warranty is a joke. For the same price you can get a pair of KEF Q350, TPA3255 amplifier, and Topping DX3 Pro+ DAC. For a near or mid-field setup,

OP
regan

regan

Sounds like they didn't program the DSP correctly. The woofer playing up to 10kHz is not surprising, it will just sound bad because of breakup modes and beaming.

It is fortunate you get a chance to return them, because $800 a pair for those speakers is criminal. Edifier does not put out good quality products, and the 2 year warranty is a joke. For the same price you can get a pair of KEF Q350, TPA3255 amplifier, and Topping DX3 Pro+ DAC. For a near or mid-field setup,

Fortunately I only paid $500. Anyway, i'll return them and get back my money, no biggie.
Thanks a lot for your recommendations. I was thinking about giving Kali lp6v2/lp8v2 a try. Do you think going passive is more convenient than active?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fortunately I only paid $500. Anyway, i'll return them and get back my money, no biggie.
Thanks a lot for your recommendations. I was thinking about giving Kali lp6v2/lp8v2 a try. Do you think going passive is more convenient than active?
Convenient, definitely not. I think the Kali’s v2 are a good choice.

Top Bottom