• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New 2.0 system. Overwhelmed by electronics.

FlyingFreak

Hello ASR community,

I am (again) looking to get a Hifi in my living room.
As I'm trying to understand what all the electronics is about, I feel pretty lost and don't know where to go to make informed decision.

So I am writing a HiFi for dummy sub, cause I have not been able to find one helping me.

I just want a 2.0 music system that could evolve into 2.1. I want passive speakers ( and will get the Revel M106).

Here is what I think I get: if I am not ready to use a computer (which I am not), I should make sure some electronics offers room EQ.

This greatly reduces my options to using minidsp flex or an AVR. If I go minidsp, I still need to find an amp (pushing a bit over my remaining budget would be the entry level Buckeye amp). If I go AVR, I have everything in one (big) box.

I guess I am confused as to why wouldn't everyone get something like a Onkyo TX NR7100 instead of minidsp + amp or something more complicated. The AVR can do it all and more.

I see some members having what looks like a lot of boxes connected to each others before sending signals to their speakers and I dont get what they all are for. Shall I attribute this to (some of) us being gear heads liking playing with new toys or are their tools I am missing?

I am looking for the easiest implementation and least amount of boxes and cables.

Thanks for your help !

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There is a MiniDSP SHD Power. Given that it’s $1500 or € 1800, you can also get (as you mentioned) an Onkyo AVR with Dirac for about the same money and get a shitload of more features.

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
AVR route is simplest for sure. I like mine for its multi zone audio video switching capability on top of pre-outs that allow an external power amp (if your speakers need it).

Upstairs I use a smart tv to a DAC used as a preamp to a power amp driving speakers, but that isn’t eq and 2.1

Apesbrain

You might consider Yamaha's R-N803 stereo receiver. It has sub out, phono in, DLNA support, Yamaha's auto room EQ (YPAO), plenty of power; pretty much a "one-box" solution:

NAD makes a few similar components.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You might consider Yamaha's R-N803 stereo receiver. It has sub out, phono in, DLNA support, Yamaha's auto room EQ (YPAO), plenty of power; pretty much a "one-box" solution:

NAD makes a few similar components.
The R-N803 is being discontinued it seems from etailer web sites. So inventory at some retailers/etailers will be in short supply or no supply. :D I'm really stoked to see what replaces it.

Reactions: MAB
OP
FlyingFreak

FlyingFreak

Thank you all!

That is quite some recommendation of products but/and doesnt help me figuring out why going one route rather than another.

I guess I am mainly wondering what are the advantages, if any, to go the Minidsp + amp (or minidsp amp) route.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The Dirac enabled products are a bit simpler to work with when it comes to fine tuning the sound. You can simply change the target curve using the app, and it will apply it. The MiniDSP will give a bit more flexibility regarding sub integration. The Yamaha is a bit harder to tune. I guess it will have some PEQ in top of its room correction. Don’t know about the Lyngdorf, I think it has excellent room correction as well.

OP
FlyingFreak

FlyingFreak

Thank you both!

Lyngdorf seems to make great products but out of my current budget.

I think I ll have to buy myself some sort of a system and then learn as I go. Trying to 'do my own research' without anything to play with is nerve racking, frustrating and way too abstract for my lil brain.

I ll just buy the speakers, something to put them on and an amp, all the cables necessary and see what’s what.

Thank you again everyone for jumping in!

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am looking for the easiest implementation and least amount of boxes and cables
The simplest solution is active speakers with a DAC and streamer.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The simplest solution is active speakers with a DAC and streamer.
Agree on this a lot. Something like the KEF LS50 Wireless II or KEF LS60 depending on your budget and aesthetic preferences would be likely great options for excellent sound in the simplest package.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Agree on this a lot. Something like the KEF LS50 Wireless II or KEF LS60 depending on your budget and aesthetic preferences would be likely great options for excellent sound in the simplest package.
Well I’d pick a Genelec model but yeah.

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
Since you aren't using a computer, be aware that the miniDSP (and Dirac) require a computer to configure, calibrate, and set up. Denon/Marantz do not require a computer to do anything. I haven't owned other AVR brands so I can't speak to them, but I'd guess most AVRs do not require computers, but it's something you probably want to check for though.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well I’d pick a Genelec model but yeah.
Yes. Genelec are measurably better and excellent quality. I don't know how all-in-one they are regarding input from tv, streaming services, and room correction.

Reactions: MAB

jae

Major Contributor
Would +1 on active speakers, pair it with something like WiiM pro streamer or minidsp product. And if you absolutely must go passive, Ascend Acoustics Sierra-LX is a better speaker than M106 for the same price or cheaper.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Thank you all!

That is quite some recommendation of products but/and doesnt help me figuring out why going one route rather than another.

I guess I am mainly wondering what are the advantages, if any, to go the Minidsp + amp (or minidsp amp) route.
Advantage of minidsp route: higher Sinad, signal to noise and distortion. Meaning that the signal arriving at the speakers is cleaner. And probably a more powerfull amp, depending on budget. This should make the speaker sound more "in control".

Advantage of avr: all in one, hdmi inputs that make audio and video integration easy. Usually standard automated eq process.

Edit: the best option very much depends on budget, intended use (audio only or audio video), and future upgrade plans.

For example, if you intend to integrate tv or movie watching, the answer is obviously an avr, one of the best being the denon 3700 by measurements (97 sinad, where complete transparancy is around 115 db)

If you're intended use is audio only, you could add up the price of the flex, the umik microphone (+100) and the price of a good hypex based amp with enough headroom for your speakers. These are pretty much at 110-115 db sinad, so completely transparent.

One final thing I would consider if you're a tinkerer or not. If not, add the price of Dirac (+ 200) in the minidsp budget.

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes. Genelec are measurably better and excellent quality. I don't know how all-in-one they are regarding input from tv, streaming services, and room correction.
TV optical, RPI with Digi hat (optical, coaxial), Balanced DAC, Genelec.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Oh btw, least amount of boxes would be active speakers like Genelec that have eq build in. Then you only need a dac that can control volume.

The other option for least amount of boxes would be an avr, of course

Top Bottom