• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need Some SOUND Advice on Streaming

RKH1

If I had hair I would pull it out! I’ve researched this to the point utter confusion. I’m just getting back into audio and am learning about streaming. Seemed pretty straight forward….at first. I’m wanting to spend $800 and not sure at that price point if I’m better going with all-in-one or separate DAC/Streamer. My system is vintage McIntosh C-28 preamp / MC 2125 amp into Klipschorns (all purchased late 70’s or early 80’s). Any help that you could provide would be appreciated - thanks in advance!

dzerig

I would do an all in one. It is unlikely you are going to hear any improvement at the edges of audibility of SINAD since your equipment is probably about -70db sinad or less. So anything you buy will work. -

If you are thinking about upgrading the McIntosh gear to something cleaner

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Basically depends on the features you want, but in terms of sound quality I agree with @staticV3 . Hard to do better. As long as it supports the streaming services / protocols you want to use, no reason to go outside of that. If you want a screen and such the Eversolo or something similar is a decent option, but if you are happy to stick with the app then save your $$ for a nice dinner or two and get the WiiM.

If you are very overkill-oriented you can also get a performant external DAC, but in that case just get the WiiM mini... the Pro Plus has a good DAC already built in.

The Pro Plus also has some EQ functionality built-in, but if you are not already doing room EQ, putting some budget towards a MiniDSP and measurement mic would also be a good way to upgrade the system.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Seconding (or is it thirding) @staticV3 and @kemmler3D

Note - there is a wiim Pro, and a Pro+ - only the + has the better built in DAC (But probably unlikely you will hear an audible difference between this and the "average" one in the mini and non plus version of the pro.)

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a Wiim pro plus (and my son has a pro) and they are good products. Another family of products that would fit in cosmetically with your current gear is the Cambridge Audio streamers. Like the Wiim, and in my experience they work with just about any streaming service or protocol without any fuss or instability.

My sense from your OP is that you don't want to go the route of a Raspberry Pi player, but you can set that up even cheaper than the Wiim, and it's pretty easy (I use a Pi-4 and ROPIEEXL in one set up). But the Wiim and Cambridge players support more protocols and services than PI (the main differences are Chromecast and Tidal Connect/Spotify Connect/Qobuz Connect).

OP
R

RKH1

You guys are awesome and I thank you! The Wiim Pro + along with Eversolo DMP A6 and the Node + Were high On my list until I started reading about separate DAC’s….then it got confusing. My first choice is master vinyl but can’t afford to buy a new album every time I hear a good track! I really want to use streaming to discover new artist and when I find a “must have” buy it on vinyl. Again, Thanks for your help as you really solved a puzzle for me.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I really want to use streaming to discover new artist and when I find a “must have” buy it on vinyl. Again, Thanks for your help as you really solved a puzzle for me.
Definitely a good way to use it. And glad we could help!

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I love price point chat!

I went with a Wiim Mini into an SMSL SU-8s from drop.com. I'm happy!

Ridiculous bargains these days.

radix

Major Contributor
I use Volumio on a Raspberry Pi 4 on my McIntosh C30 / MC2205. I'm sure a Wiim Pro would be great.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just use Chromecast Audio units in various systems....can stream to them individually or simultaneously from a variety of devices. Depends what you want in the way of a box/functionality....

Top Bottom