• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need recommendation of class D amp for Dali Spector 1 speakers

Kingshuk

Looking to elevate my desktop audio experience with the Dali Spector 1 speakers? I'm seeking recommendations based on your experiences! Which one would you suggest for optimal soundstage and clarity? Considering the low sensitivity (around 83DB) of the Dali speakers and their 40-100 watt power rating, I'd love to hear your insights and experiences. Thanks in advance! #Audiophile #ClassDAmplifier #DaliSpektor1 #DesktopAudio

DSJR

Major Contributor
Anything you like really, as long as it's not an audiophool confection recommended by the wackier dealers out there...

I mean, if still around, a Yamaha AS201 (full size and plenty of facilities) would do the job, but if you can wait, that Fosi amp just tested here looks to be a bit of a bargain as distortion is low enough (similar to 80's amp favourites I think), it seems load immune until 10kHz or so and not deviating hugely above this and there seems to be plenty of power at 4 ohms. Small main box too if the power supply can be hidden away... For desktop use, the Topping PA5mk2 seems to have been sorted now?

OP
K

Kingshuk

Anything you like really, as long as it's not an audiophool confection recommended by the wackier dealers out there...

I mean, if still around, a Yamaha AS201 (full size and plenty of facilities) would do the job, but if you can wait, that Fosi amp just tested here looks to be a bit of a bargain as distortion is low enough (similar to 80's amp favourites I think), it seems load immune until 10kHz or so and not deviating hugely above this and there seems to be plenty of power at 4 ohms. Small main box too if the power supply can be hidden away... For desktop use, the Topping PA5mk2 seems to have been sorted now?
Thanks.... Considering the power specifications of the Topping PA5 (140W X2 @4Ω THD+N<10%, 125W X2 @4Ω THD+N<1%, 85W X2 @8Ω THD+N<10%, 65W X2 @8Ω THD+N<1%), do you believe it has the chance to harm the Dali Spektor 1, given its Dali's power rating of 40-100 watts (max 100 watts)? Looking forward to hearing from you.

DSJR

Major Contributor
There's a massive confusion as regards power output at what distortion levels!

We should be looking AT WORST, the power output both channels driven at 8 ohms at 1% distortion maximum, NOT 10% as many of these makers now claim (even Technics and Yamaha - which should know better - on some products).

Overloading a speaker on music peaks is usually ok as long as the main driver doesn't 'bottom out' and it's a very well known fact that underpowering a speaker with an overdriven amp at a party say, will fry the tweeters as happened so often in my career with owners bringing in speakers with blown tweeters and in 1990's Missions case quite often, melted crossovers...

No hard and fast rules here, the PA5's 65W x 2 at <1% at 8 ohms is the basic spec and 125W x 2 at 4 ohms <1% are the figures I'd consider. if you bought one of these, make sure it's returnable if you don't like it and hopefully a supplier who'll offer service under warranty at least should it fail.

dmilller

I'm using the Fosi Audio ZA3 on a small system. I would bet money that you could not hear the difference between the Fosi and the Topping

OP
K

Kingshuk

I'm using the Fosi Audio ZA3 on a small system. I would bet money that you could not hear the difference between the Fosi and the Topping

Thanks :). What speakers are you using? Dali Spector has very low sensitivity around 83 db....I have concern regarding that.

dmilller

In-ceiling Polk speaker in the kitchen. I have a Wiim Pro Plus in front of the Fosi. I have the 32V power supply. You would probably want the 48V.

I suggest simply shopping price and features from the green section of Amirm's list. I assume the Fosi is near the top for price/performance.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You don't damage speakers because your amplifier is too powerful. You damage speakers because your amplifier isn't powerful enough.

Top Bottom