• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New to Forums - Looking for DAC to connect MacBook to JBL LSR305s and QSC K10.2 system

blades808

Aloha,

So I just recently purchased a Focusrite Scarlett Solo Gen3 to hook my iPad up to my JBL LSR305 Monitors, and I was very pleased to discover that the speakers sound clearer than when I plug them directly into the headphone port on my MacBook Pro (using a 3.5 aux breakout to XLRs going into the speakers).

First question, does this make sense that I would be hearing increased clarity? To confess, I am even using the same Aux breakout cable plugged into the headphone monitoring port of the Scarlett (using a 1/4 adapter) so I haven't even properly set it up using the balanced outputs in the back. And it still sounds wonderful.

Even with that limitation, the DAC inside the Scarlett seems to be providing a clearer signal than the headphone port on my MacBook. So of course I came here to research and I discovered my budget choice was well founded.

With that said, I also have a much larger system downstairs that I used to DJ with (2 QSC Q10.2s and a KS112). Right now I'm using a DDJ 1000 as an ad hoc mixer... connecting the headphone port of my MacBook into one of the channels on the controller's mixing board using an Aux to RCA inputs. I realize this is far from ideal, and it sounds worse listening to the same track on spotify like this than when I am using it in Serato and outputting directly to the speakers using the balanced XLR outputs from the controller.

SO -- my question is this -- I want to find a DAC for my MacBook pro that will circumvent the whole DJ controller and output a clean signal to my QSC Q10.2s. Am I correct in assuming the Focusrite Scarlett Solo is competent at this task if I were to using the 1/4 TSR to XLR outputs properly? And is there any other desktop DAC that might be recommended? My budget for a second interface is say $150 or under.

Thanks!

staticV3

Master Contributor
SO -- my question is this -- I want to find a DAC for my MacBook pro that will circumvent the whole DJ controller and output a clean signal to my QSC Q10.2s. Am I correct in assuming the Focusrite Scarlett Solo is competent at this task if I were to using the 1/4 TSR to XLR outputs properly?
Yes.

And is there any other desktop DAC that might be recommended? My budget for a second interface is say $150 or under.
Here are some other, well measuring DACs with Balanced out, that are in your budget:
Topping D10 Balanced
SMSL D-6
SMSL M300 SE
Khadas Tone2

They're not technically interfaces though as they lack analog inputs (not sure if you need those for your setup).

OP
B

blades808

Thank you, this is very helpful. I am essentially just using these DACs to put out sound. At present I have no plans to record, and especially since I have the Focusrite Scarlett already a second device would be purely focused on producing a clean signal.

I see everyone talking about the Motu M2. Currently on Amazon the price point is literally double what I got my brand new Scarlett Solo for ($200 vs $100). Is it worth considering above the other options, or is the sound quality improvement minimal? My needs are very simple since I am just using these to listen to music, no need for headphone amps or recording features.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I see everyone talking about the Motu M2. Currently on Amazon the price point is literally double what I got my brand new Scarlett Solo for ($200 vs $100).
Since:
At present I have no plans to record
and:
My needs are very simple since I am just using these to listen to music, no need for headphone amps or recording features.
I see no point in buying the M2. It's a great interface, don't get me wrong, but you're paying for a DAC, headphone Amp, ADC, phantom power supply, Mic preamp, ...
If you don't need any of that extra stuff, then you can get better value with just a DAC.

mcdn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
First question, does this make sense that I would be hearing increased clarity?

Even with that limitation, the DAC inside the Scarlett seems to be providing a clearer signal than the headphone port on my MacBook
The LSR305 is a great speaker, I own a pair and love them, but there is no way they are neutral enough to show the differences between two DACs. I mean technically no speaker is, regardless of price, so definitely not the 305s.

OP
B

blades808

mcdn that is an interesting comment! I originally purchased the LSR305s due to reviews I read of how neutral they were given their price point. Is there anything else for the $300 / pair pricing that sound completely neutral and flat? Or does that require must more investment? Needless to say I love my 305s, just curious, and I chose them over a pair of Rokkits due to the reputed neutral sound.

As for DACs it sounds like I might be best off just buying a second Focusrite Scarlett Solo gen 3 for my downstairs setup. I got it right around $99, and so it sounds like these days any decent well built DAC will accomplish my needs. So I will focus on technical issues.

The only one issue I noticed with the Focusrite on my MacBook was that, I switched to watching reviews on YouTube all of the voices were innnn sllooooowwww moooootttiooooon until I unplugged and replugged in the Scarlett. Spotify was still playing just fine. MacBooks to my mind are usually more stable than Windows. I have a windows laptop being repaired which will end up with one of these two interfaces so I do want it to be stable.

I read on Reddit one person made a cryptic comment about avoiding the Scarlett due to the way it handles clocking and it can drift because its timing is CPU dependent. Again I’m not recording so this glitch is a tiny annoyance vs something that would ruin my day. But is this why my YouTube video glitched?

And the final question being, if the Scarlett is $100 and the Topping D10B is $130, does the Topping have anything to offer (including performance, drivers, stability) over the Scarlett Solo gen 3 that I might choose it instead?

I really appreciate your guys time and expertise! Thanks

Top Bottom