• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need help with replacing an OEM driver for speakers

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey all,

I have a pair of old RTR G-200 speakers that are handed down to me by my father in law. They were in a bad shape when I got them and I was able to re-cone the drivers on them. The primary driver's are 10 inch and has 12 inch passive radiators on both speakers. Lately I have noticed the left side 10' driver distorting when a song is bass heavy (these were supposedly damaged due to my sister in law cracking up the volume on them, back before I got them). It almost sounds like it is blown but I can hear all the mids and no low frequencies. I understand that these are old and definitely not worth a lot to invest money in but they work wonderfully for my needs at the moment and would not want to upgrade to something new. I have been looking online to find replacement OEM driver for them but can't locate them and the specifications for the speakers don't indicate the frequency response for the 10' drivers. I am listing the specifications I have found online for the speakers, hopefully someone can guide me to a solution. Cheers

Specifications:
10' woofer
12' passive radiators
120 watts at 4ohm
91db
25-25000Hz frequency response.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Hi. I'd pull the offending driver out of the cabinet and check it's resistance with a multimeter for weird readings. Check it moves freely by hand carfully. Assuming it measures amd feels ok next I would run it free air connected directly to the amplifer. This will let you know if the driver is definitely bad or not. If not , be worth checking the crossover and wiring for problems.

Top Bottom