• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need basic newb help designing outdoor speaker system

mflick333

I'm trying to design an outdoor speaker system to surround my pool and patio that takes up around 2,500 sqft. Originally I just went to the Crutchfield guide and selected these Klipsch "rock" stereo speakers (https://www.crutchfield.com/p_714AWR650G/Klipsch-AWR-650-SM-Granite.html?tp=188).

My pool is surrounded by rocks so I figured these would fit in nicely. I was thinking 4 "rocks" (8 channels) that I would power with 2 Sonos amps. Of course I waited too long and these speakers are on backorder so I went back to the drawing board and I've gone down more rabbit holes than I can count now and I'm more confused than ever. My budget is around $3k (+/- ~$500) and the sonos connectivity is a must. Wherever the speakers end up they'll be completely exposed to Pennsylvania weather with no protection. That said, I figured I'd bring them in during the winter.

I looked at some of these pre-designed Sonance Patio/Garden systems but they're pretty expensive and there aren't very many reviews about them but also very few places seem to sell them. While looking at these systems I went down the in-ground subwoofer rabbit hole and now I'm wondering if I need one of those too. I'm the type of person where very high fidelity sound quality is probably lost on me, however, I want to create a soundscape around my patio that drowns out some distant traffic noise and of course are great for entertaining.

Any guidance/help/direction/instruction at all is greatly appreciated. Thanks a ton in advance!

Travis

Klipsch makes a consumer version of their rock speaker, as well as a commercial version of their rock speaker. You can see if those are available. I have 3 of the commercial rocks at our place in Vail, 2 are direct exposed and covered in snow every year, one is by out door hot tub, semi-covered. 10+ years and still going strong.

Top Bottom