• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

need advise

makokak

ive been listening to my smsl stacks(do200 mkii, ho200, ao200) and diamond 225 as a speaker. its been a couple of days i have the setup running. the sounds i cant seem to find the right setting for the tone between the dac and and the amp. any settings advise? should i give it sometimes and wait to be fully broken in? by the way. the source im using is my amazon music from my laptop connected via usb to the DAC xlr to pre amp xlr to amp 10 AWG speaker cable to speakers.

staticV3

Master Contributor
the sounds i cant seem to find the right setting for the tone between the dac and and the amp. any settings advise?
The DAC does not seem to have any tone controls.
If you're talking about the Nyquist filters and DPLL settings etc, those don't affect the tone of your system.

should i give it sometimes and wait to be fully broken in?
Solid state audio equipment does not, cannot, will not break in. It'll sound the same in 10 years, as it did when you first turned it on.
Any perceived shift in sound quality is in your head.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Welcome to ASR! To answer your questions:

1. What @staticV3 said.

2. What your speakers sound like is heavily affected by where you have placed them. Do NOT: place them on a resonant surface, against the wall (unless designed to be against the wall), place them with a large flat surface in front of it (like at the end of a desk), and make sure your ports are not blocked. A picture would help us advise you further.

3. If your source is a computer, you could, as a last resort, use EQ to correct the tone of your speaker if you are unhappy with it. The best way is to use a microphone and measure so you can see where the problems are. Otherwise, you could guess where the problem frequencies are and EQ it by ear. One way is to play a sine wave sweep slowly and listen for any peaks. Take note of the indicated frequency and cut it with EQ. You could use something like EqualizerAPO (which is free).

4. A description of your subjective impression of the sound might help.

SSS

ive been listening to my smsl stacks(do200 mkii, ho200, ao200) and diamond 225 as a speaker. its been a couple of days i have the setup running. the sounds i cant seem to find the right setting for the tone between the dac and and the amp. any settings advise? should i give it sometimes and wait to be fully broken in? by the way. the source im using is my amazon music from my laptop connected via usb to the DAC xlr to pre amp xlr to amp 10 AWG speaker cable to speakers.
Without information about room size and damping, your prefered listening volume, placing of the speakers little can be said. Viewing to your equipment specs it seems that the speakers are not built for loud bass in a big room. The speaker cable size is OK. Further, what quality is the Amazon music file, reduced, HD, UltraHD and will this quality also be passed to the DAC via the I assume Windows operating system? And the most needed information is what sound do you prefer and what music type? And what is lacking in the sound you perceive?

OP
M

makokak

Without information about room size and damping, your prefered listening volume, placing of the speakers little can be said. Viewing to your equipment specs it seems that the speakers are not built for loud bass in a big room. The speaker cable size is OK. Further, what quality is the Amazon music file, reduced, HD, UltraHD and will this quality also be passed to the DAC via the I assume Windows operating system? And the most needed information is what sound do you prefer and what music type? And what is lacking in the sound you perceive?
info about the size of the room, its a studio apartment 15 feet by 30 and maybe 20 feet on the other side.

speaker placement: they are almost 8 inches against the 20 feet side of the wall, the one speaker close to the 15 feet wall side is 26 inches against that wall, and the space between the two speaker is more than 6ft.

music is from amazon music HD and Ultra HD. sometimes im playing some of my music collection that i rip from my cd before.

since im using my HO200 as my preamp it is set mid gain, my AO200 is set to the highest volume. i am using the volume control of the HO200, sometimes i just play with ao200 eq.

Attachments

• 20230720_082424.jpg
    20230720_082424.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 356810255_629120695861366_5563292257187277612_n.jpg
    356810255_629120695861366_5563292257187277612_n.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 48
OP
M

makokak

is it better to place the speaker against the 15ft wall? Because right now it is against the 20ft wall facing the 30ft wall.

Top Bottom