• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NEED ADVICE on a AVR!

lordkirkis

Hey folks! I'm not the most tech savvy person around so I've come here to ask some of you smart people to help me out if you can. I need to upgrade from this Sony Str-DH550 as it does not support eArc. Here are some stuff to note...

Main uses: Music, Gaming, Movies, Netflix (you could say in this order of importance from left to right).
Current setup: Str-DH550, Dynaudio EmitM10 bookshelf, Rythmic E15 sub. (Will add a PS5 eventually)

I don't really care for any surround sound, Atmos or anything of this sort since I am fine with the 2 speakers and the sub. I just want something that's reliable, long lasting and has great sonic performance. My budget is $1200 or so... Thanks in advance!

Edit: I have a couple of more questions;

1. If I plan to run 2 speakers and a subwoofer would I benefit from eArc, or would standard Arc bandwidth be enough for this setup and lossless playback?

2. Would the Sony Str-ZA1100ES be a good option for me?

Last edited:

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

I think I’d just look for a stereo receiver or integrated amplifier that will accept whatever audio outputs your TV has. If you connect all your devices to the TV, you won't need the video processing that an AVR provides.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hey folks! I'm not the most tech savvy person around so I've come here to ask some of you smart people to help me out if you can. I need to upgrade from this Sony Str-DH550 as it does not support eArc. Here are some stuff to note...

Main uses: Music, Gaming, Movies, Netflix (you could say in this order of importance from left to right).
Current setup: Str-DH550, Dynaudio EmitM10 bookshelf, Rythmic E15 sub. (Will add a PS5 eventually)

I don't really care for any surround sound, Atmos or anything of this sort since I am fine with the 2 speakers and the sub. I just want something that's reliable, long lasting and has great sonic performance. My budget is $1200 or so... Thanks in advance!

Edit: I have a couple of more questions;

1. If I plan to run 2 speakers and a subwoofer would I benefit from eArc, or would standard Arc bandwidth be enough for this setup and lossless playback?

2. Would the Sony Str-ZA1100ES be a good option for me?

check wirecutter site for reviews. also AVSforum.
sony has 1080 AVR which was highly praised.
Yamaha is universally praised.
But seriously if someone can make a good DTS/AC decoder/downsampler with remote and pair it with good Class-D amp 2.1 - that would be a winner. Hey, industry! Phulese! :D

MuseIcal

Hi @lordkirkis,

Welcome to the forum!

A couple of questions;

What is your budget?

Do you plan on adding more channels than the two you're using now?

Where are you located? Africa, Asia, Europe, UK, US This information will help us find what may be available in your location or if shipping will spoil the budget.

It was already mentioned you can get by with a two channel amp with your current set up. However, you may want to 'future' proof your system in case you want to add more channels later.

The Outlaw RR2160 is a great piece of kit with 'most' all the features you would find in a multi channel AVR.

$999.99

https://outlawaudio.com/shop/index....ite=rr2160-stereo-receiver&controller=product

The RR2160 Stereo Receiver (2X110W) provides the analog performance and sophisticated retro styling of the RR2150 with the digital inputs, HD Radio, and Internet Radio you've come to need.

If you're happy with the Sony and want to stay with the brand, the Sony STR-DN1080 is a well reviewed AVR and gives you the option for adding more channels later;

$599.99 from Sony's website, but deals can be found other places

https://www.sony.com/electronics/av-receivers/str-dn1080

Enjoy the subtlest nuances of studio-quality sound in higher than CD quality with High-Resolution Audio. Passion for music unites every component from signal to speaker so it feels like the artist is performing right in front of you.

Yamaha has introduced AVRs that are for gamers;

$599.99

Yamaha RX-V6A Looks another solid piece of kit:

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/rx-v6a/index.html
  • 7.2-channel 100 Watt surround sound with Zone 2
  • 4K120AB and 8K60B HDMI (with future update) with HDCP 2.3 and eARC (7 in/1 out)
  • Dolby Vision™, Hybrid Log-Gamma and BT.2020
  • Supports enhanced media and gaming - ALLM, VRR, QFT, QMS (with future update)
  • Dolby Atmos with Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization (with future update) and DTS:X
  • Wi-Fi®, AirPlay 2®, Spotify Connect and Voice Control
  • MusicCast multi-room audio app control
  • Pandora®, Spotify, Amazon Music, SiriusXM, TIDAL, Deezer, Napster and more
  • YPAO automatic room calibration with R.S.C. and multipoint
  • Phono input
  • MusicCast Surround-capable: add optional MusicCast speakers to provide wireless surrounds for a 5.1-channel setup

Any of the lower end Denons will serve you well also.

OP
L

lordkirkis

Thank you all very much for the advice. I definitely could have gotten away with a simple two channel amp like the Outlaw RR2160, but I did end up going with the Sony ZA1100ES as I managed to find one at a great price!

Thank you all in any case!

Top Bottom