• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nanomesher NanoSound DAC2 Review

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Nanomesher NanoSound DAC2 Raspberry Pi Audio solution. It was kindly sent to me by the company. It comes in three versions: basic, standard and Pro. The sample I have is the Standard and costs US $65.

Unlike other Pi DAC solutions, the NanoSound is not just a DAC. It comes with a display, remote control and ability to power the Pi on and off:

Nanomesher Nanosound DAC 2 Pi Audio Streamer Audio Review.jpg

You connect the USB power to the DAC 2 and then you can power the whole thing on and off using the momentary power switch.

You have "transport" controls allowing you to skip forward/back, pause audio, etc.

I was given a Volumio microSD card to test. I inserted that in my Pi board and it all came up to life with nothing to do. Nanomesher provides video and instructions on how to create your own image.

I really liked having a display on a DAC/Pi. Without it, you boot the thing but have no idea if it is working or not. I know you can add such things to the Pi but it is nice to have it integrated on the DAC board.

There is a case that I think they sell to keep the unit protected. I did not like the look of it though.

I did not play with the remote. It is a card-like one with membrane switches:

1056643095.jpg

Streamer DAC Audio Measurements
Testing of networked products is hard because Audio Precision analyzer can't control what they play. I had to queue up one file after another with no ability to run sweeps. So the test suite is limited.

Let's start with our dashboard:
Nanomesher Nanosound DAC 2 Pi Audio Streamer Audio Measurements.png

I liked the volume control on DAC 2 and ability to get 2.1 volt output. Distortion and noise (SINAD) is typical of Pi Audio DACs and certainly below what we get in our good desktop DACs:

Best Pi Audio DAC.png

32-tone test is more hopeful:

Nanomesher Nanosound DAC 2 Pi Audio Streamer Multitone Audio Measurements.png

We have about 16 bits of distortion-free range which is good enough for intended application.

Jitter test shows some components which suggest a 4 kHz jitter tone interfering:

Nanomesher Nanosound DAC 2 Pi Audio Streamer Jitter Audio Measurements.png

That causes sidebands at +- 4 kHz relative to our tone at 12 kHz resulting in spikes at 8 and 16 kHz.

Conclusions
NanoSound DAC2 measurement performance is not that great in larger scope. Within budget category of Pi Audio DACs though, it is fairly typical. The value here is the extra functionality that the display and remote control bring with no integration work on behalf of the user. On that front, I can recommend the NanoSound DAC 2.

--------
As always, questions, comments, corrections, etc. are welcome.

It is the holiday season. So please, reach into your pocket and put in mine all that you find using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not SOTA, but probably good enough for all sorts of applications.

folzag

"Testing of networked products is hard because Audio Precision analyzer can't control what they play."

Speaking of, any forward progress (or even still a priority) on a framework for testing Bluetooth devices?

Tks

Major Contributor
I get the feeling this thing would benefit from dedicated power much more that USB power. But then again that always is the challenge with these sorts of devices, where the power supplies worth anything usually cost more than the whole device/solution itself.

And then you have the mess of simply feeding power through such protocols like USB.. Look at the Raspberry Pi Foundations' recent blunder with trying to move up to a higher power throughput platform (USB-C) for example: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...ct-usb-c-design-wont-work-with-some-chargers/

Non compliance, and just who-knows-what sort of substandard power sources makes these devices falter it seems more than one would imagine, on top of working with an already constrained platform. But this is all just thoughts from somenone who barely understands electricity to begin with...

As for the device itself, that sure is some bang for buck I have to say for anyone into DIY and open source software to tinker with to preference.

I was just wondering something bossman, could you perhaps try at 1V output by any chance? See how noise/distortion behave?

milosz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
As networked audio products are really quite common these days, I am surprised there isn't some solution from Audio Precision to test them.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
As networked audio products are really quite common these days, I am surprised there isn't some solution from Audio Precision to test them.
I have given them tons of feedback on this but no results.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Same performance as the other device.... But this one does have a cool option to have a display. I can see this being the only reason to purchase this board.

jae

Major Contributor
Does anyone have the new nanosound ONE dac?

hambath

Sure, with the RPi 3 and Volumio. Seems to work just fine, and with no problems "out of the box". Not a bad piece of kit for under a £100 .....

Top Bottom