• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Naim Uniti Atom Review (Streamer & Amp)

Rate this streamer:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 280 68.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 93 22.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 21 5.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 14 3.4%

• Total voters

GiBo61

I hope you are aware that this device is not even close to the same level as the Atom, not to mention the sound quality.
Here we are talking about instrumental measurements which are objective when done correctly, "sound quality" is subjective, it's my word against yours.

Mark84

Here we are talking about instrumental measurements which are objective when done correctly, "sound quality" is subjective, it's my word against yours.

I’ve had many receivers over the years. None come close to the 2 channel sound of the Atom. I have an audiolab av processor hooked up to a diy hypex ucd power amp. I’d be willing to bet that that setup measures better than the atom but I can tell you for sure that it doesn’t sound as good to listen to 2 channel music with. Maybe the hypex is better in respects to hifi credentials like soundstage depth and clarity but there’s something about the sound of the atom that I can listen to for days without fatigue.

Have any of you guys ever played with different quality speaker crossover components. They make a definite difference to the transparency of a speaker but I’m not sure how much you would see that in measurements.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve had many receivers over the years. None come close to the 2 channel sound of the Atom. I have an audiolab av processor hooked up to a diy hypex ucd power amp. I’d be willing to bet that that setup measures better than the atom but I can tell you for sure that it doesn’t sound as good to listen to 2 channel music with. Maybe the hypex is better in respects to hifi credentials like soundstage depth and clarity but there’s something about the sound of the atom that I can listen to for days without fatigue.

Have any of you guys ever played with different quality speaker crossover components. They make a definite difference to the transparency of a speaker but I’m not sure how much you would see that in measurements.
Probably been asked this sometimes but are you conducting blind listening tests?

Mark84

Probably been asked this sometimes but are you conducting blind listening tests?
No. I have two systems so I swap things out and spend more time with components in the chain before making a decision. Listening fatigue takes a while to set in and over a wide variety of music. I’ve tried blind tests before and it doesn’t work for me. However, when one amp starts grating on me after a few hours of listening, that tells me much more than a blind test will in a few minutes. That’s how I do it and it works for me. My personal opinion is that I need to live with something in my system for a while and listen over a wide variety of music to assess how i like it. Please remember that for me, measurements are not paramount. It might be for you and that’s fine by me. Long term listening pleasure is my benchmark.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No. I have two systems so I swap things out and spend more time with components in the chain before making a decision. Listening fatigue takes a while to set in and over a wide variety of music. I’ve tried blind tests before and it doesn’t work for me. However, when one amp starts grating on me after a few hours of listening, that tells me much more than a blind test will in a few minutes. That’s how I do it and it works for me. My personal opinion is that I need to live with something in my system for a while and listen over a wide variety of music to assess how i like it. Please remember that for me, measurements are not paramount. It might be for you and that’s fine by me. Long term listening pleasure is my benchmark.
Fair enough. :D Aside from music listening being the most important stuff the equipment can make a difference. I've experienced amplifiers that sounded different but that was only 2 of them out of thousands. The best of the 2 was probably colored but it was samoooth although a power gobbling hot running class A.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If you’re happy, bless you brother. Your point is taken that a few SINAD here or there probably don’t matter that much. In fairness to the Atom there really isn’t a whole lot of one box solutions out there that have the same features. and HDMI is nice to have for TV and a movie once in awhile. I think there is a huge demand for 2.1 and 3.1 systems for smaller rooms and not sure anyone has nailed it yet. I’m just a bit disappointed they couldn’t have brought the DAC and power on this up a bit. Same can be said for other brands but it is $3k. If AVRs outperform it then why?

Mark84

If AVRs outperform it then why?
Yeah not sure. Possibly because there’s so much in one box. A small box at that. Naim say that’s one reason why the nova and star perform better, because they can space the components more appropriately.

DMill

Forum Donor
Yeah not sure. Possibly because there’s so much in one box. A small box at that. Naim say that’s one reason why the nova and star perform better, because they can space the components more appropriately.
I also like a small box. :) at risk of being banned I can say most do. I also have respect for Naim. They are a brand that audiophiles have looked up to. And unlike others here have no trouble with that label. It’s why everyone was hoping for better than, it’s ok I guess. From Naim at $3k I want it’s fcking amazing.

Garrincha

All this listening fatique and the stress from the blind tests that never work, it must be a hard and tiresome life being a subjectivist audiophile.

DMill

Forum Donor
All this listening fatique and the stress from the blind tests that never work, it must be a hard and tiresome life being a subjectivist audiophile.
I’m not even sure what I am anymore with 17 Topping DACs stacked next to a tube amplifier.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m not even sure what I am anymore with 17 Topping DACs stacked next to a tube amplifier.
Hehe. Are you serious>? lol. I don't think Topping even has 17 DACs. gg*

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Don’t you just keep the one that measures best and throw out the rest? Makes it a bit more simple.
That's my method. I don't hang onto technology that I've replaced/upgraded. I flip it before it becomes worthless. :D

Mark84

Seriously man, can’t you just go to another thread and annoy someone else.

Engine

Music and art cannot be measured with kg, W, m... Yuja Wang is only 156cm tall and is endlessly musical, charming and a good performer, just like Atom

Top Bottom