• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My Schiit Heresy + Modi 3 sounds like Schiit?

lapzoo

I bought the Schiit Stack to use it in combination with my Hifiman Sundara. I experience huge amounts of distortion, like a really scratchy sound that is especially present in mids that weren't at all there using the FiiO K5 Pror. Unlistenable. But since no one else seems to have this, issue must be on my side. Are the cables I bought crap? I already tried different USB inputs, that's not the issue. Modi 3 gets power and audio signal simultaneously from USB PC input.

OP
lapzoo

lapzoo

Try external 5v to the second micro USB modi 3 port...

Try connecting Heresy via PC analog audio out - to eliminate Heresy/headphones being the problem..
Adding the 5V additionally didn't help, same problem.
Connecting it via analog audio out gives me no sound at all. I'm using this AUX Y-cable though... So two RCA (left right) into the Heresy and it "bundles" in an aux 3,5mm which I plug into the green pc output on the back.

I did a quick blind test btw with a friend, with matched dB and me not knowing at all which amp is playing. Guessed right 10/10 times, the distortion is truly present.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Adding the 5V additionally didn't help, same problem.
Connecting it via analog audio out gives me no sound at all. I'm using this AUX Y-cable though... So two RCA (left right) into the Heresy and it "bundles" in an aux 2,5mm which I plug into the green pc output on the back.

I did a quick blind test btw with a friend, with matched dB and me not knowing at all which amp is playing. Guessed right 10/10 times, the distortion is truly present.
Remove the aux plug and the distortion will be gone. You cant use a Y cable

OP
lapzoo

lapzoo

Remove the aux plug and the distortion will be gone. You cant use a Y cable
No I didn't use it before, I just wanted to try out @Cahudson42s advice, plugging it into the PC directly. And this Y cable seems to me the only way to do that.

20200713_200511.jpg

This is how it actually is plugged in. DAC connected to my PC with USB is where it gets the power and audio signal.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Both channels ?

Lowered the source digitally already ?

OP
lapzoo

lapzoo

Both channels ?

Lowered the source digitally already ?
Don't know really what you mean with the first question.
I put the internal windows volume to 50% now and the Heresy volume higher. Still distorted. (If that's what you meant, sorry for being a little incompetent :D)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Do you still have the K5 ?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Return the Heresy. It should be distortion free. I assume the modi3 sounds well with the K5.

To be sure connect another source to the Heresy

OP
lapzoo

lapzoo

Return the Heresy. It should be distortion free. I assume the modi3 sounds well with the K5.

To be sure connect another source to the Heresy
Yeah, connected the Modi 3 DAC with the FiiO K5 Pro, and it sounds normal.
Not sure though how I can connect another source with the Heresy. What cable do I need to connect it to my PC?

OP
lapzoo

lapzoo

I'll get rid of both the Schiit DAC and Heresy. Heresy for obvious reasons, and I didn't hear a difference at all between the K5 Pro's internal and Schiit's DAC. Thanks for helping guys. Just gonna keep listening with the K5, I guess it's good enough anyways

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'll get rid of both the Schiit DAC and Heresy. Heresy for obvious reasons, and I didn't hear a difference at all between the K5 Pro's internal and Schiit's DAC. Thanks for helping guys. Just gonna keep listening with the K5, I guess it's good enough anyways
Looks like your Heresy was defective, just ask Schiit to fix it. It’s a good little amp.

Top Bottom