• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My hifi connections. Please help.

Paspolc

You probably think I'm crazy,but I need the help of someone of goodwill because I'm not quite sure how to connect the various components of my hifi system,apart from the speakers and subwoofer to the amplifier.Before I mess up, If there is anyone knowledgeable who wants to give me 5 minutes of their time,I will be grateful for life.

Thank you very much
Pasquale

P.s.i have to connect also a smart tv Samsung
The schiit is a switcher to select either the turntable or dvd or TV output.

SmartSelect_20230711_223130_Chrome.jpg
SmartSelect_20230711_223215_Chrome.jpg
SmartSelect_20230711_223250_AliExpress.jpg
SmartSelect_20230711_223452_Chrome.jpg
SmartSelect_20230711_223625_Chrome.jpg
SmartSelect_20230711_223654_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
That DVD player via Coax also to the Yamaha.
If the TV has Toslink/Coax out, then I'd connect the DVD player to the TV only via HDMI and rely on the TV's Digital out to carry audio from the DVD player to the Yamaha.
If you connect the DVD's Video out to the TV via HDMI and Audio out to the Yamaha via Coax, and you want to watch a DVD, then you'd have to manually switch both Video and Audio, which is tedious.

OP
Paspolc

Paspolc

You have three different pre amps if I get it right (Douk,Schit and the one inside Yamaha).
Why?
Schiit is a switcher, douk is a tone controller

OP
Paspolc

Paspolc

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, but i prefer an eternal dac, tks
Why? The most powerful tool the Yamaha has is it’s room correction, which means that any analog sound gets redigitized anyway. Also, you’ll loose all of the streaming features the Yamaha offers.

You can always hook up the DAC… just hook up disc player to TV via HDMI, TV to DAC via optical, and then the DAC to one of the line or CD inputs. If you need the EQ box, loop it in between DAC and line/CD input. You cannot EQ the record player that way, because it needs the phono pre-amp in the Yamaha.

OP
Paspolc

Paspolc

Why? The most powerful tool the Yamaha has is it’s room correction, which means that any analog sound gets redigitized anyway. Also, you’ll loose all of the streaming features the Yamaha offers.

You can always hook up the DAC… just hook up disc player to TV via HDMI, TV to DAC via optical, and then the DAC to one of the line or CD inputs. If you need the EQ box, loop it in between DAC and line/CD input. You cannot EQ the record player that way, because it needs the phono pre-amp in the Yamaha.
That turnplayer has preamp feature. I stream through chromecast connected to the tv. I also play the Yamaha either with Ypao than without, depending on the kind of music/ recording

Last edited:
OP
Paspolc

Paspolc

20230712_072714.jpg

This is my tv samsung

staticV3

Master Contributor
Here's the most logical way to connect everything together, to get the best possible sound quality:
Blank diagram (8).png

But if you feel like you must bypass the Yamaha's DAC and use the external DAC and tone control, then here's how to set that up:
Blank diagram (9).png

But I honestly cannot recommended it. You'll get worse sound quality and it'll be more of a hassle to use.

OP
Paspolc

Paspolc

Here's the most logical way to connect everything together, to get the best possible sound quality:
View attachment 298391

But if you feel like you must bypass the Yamaha's DAC and use the external DAC and tone control, then here's how to set that up:
View attachment 298389
But I honestly cannot recommended it.
Thank you very much for the documented answer, very kind. I will try the two solutions, but I don't like the Yamaha dac very much, so I bought the smsl su1. Let's say I prefer the second solution, why do you advise against it?
In the first solution you excluded the Douk t8, which I like because it makes my sound a little bit brighter.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Let's say I prefer the second solution, why do you advise against it?
-Higher potential for ground loops
-High output impedance of Schiit Sys could lead to low volume
-High input sensitivity of Douk T8 could result in a clipped signal with either the DAC or TT
-Tubes in the Douk audio increase distortion
-Douk tone controls are much more primitive than room correction built into the Yamaha.
-More potential points of failure
-More boxes and wires, higher power consumption

In the first solution you excluded the Douk t8, which I like because it makes my sound a little bit brighter.
Does the Treble knob on the Yamaha not do the same thing?

JSmith

Master Contributor
I don't like the Yamaha dac very much, so I bought the smsl su1
Unless the inbuilt dac is very broken, it's not likely you would hear any difference at all. Keep in mind too that if you're using DSP functions in the AVR, then the analogue input is being digitised anyway and converted again... unless this can be turned off and passthrough used (assuming passthrough is an option).

JSmith

OP
Paspolc

Paspolc

-Higher potential for ground loops
-High output impedance of Schiit Sys could lead to low volume
-High input sensitivity of Douk T8 could result in a clipped signal with either the DAC or TT
-Tubes in the Douk audio increase distortion
-Douk tone controls are much more primitive than room correction built into the Yamaha.
-More potential points of failure
-More boxes and wires, higher power consumption

Does the Treble knob on the Yamaha not do the same thing?
But the schiit is only a switcher, can it still affect the impedance?

Top Bottom