• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best low-budget DAC or Interface for listening only

Chickenripper

So I wanted to buy my dad a sound Interface solely for it's playback quality over a onboard-card.

I'm used to listening through my once Babyface (which kinda burned down) now Babyface pro FS, also have a fireface 802 at home. You can say I'm pretty happy with rme's line of products and their playback quality. (I.e. headphone output)

My dad does not want it to be this pricey, nor would he make use of the recording capabilities.
But he has kind of good pair of headphones - sennheiser hd 660s, which do want to be driven nicely.

So my question is like following:
In the range of 100€ to 300€ (really no more)
regarding quality of it's DAC and related headphone output, which device would be the best to aquire?

I cannot stand focus rite's Scarlett range for their muddy, damp-ish headphone outs, so this is not an option.
I thought of audient id4 mkii but maybe there's a better option without the more or less useless in's.

Edit: playback through external amplifier with speakers is also necessary, so it would need some kind of speaker/line outputs

Thanks

Last edited:

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome to ASR!

If all you need is a DAC and headphone amplifier, the Topping DX1 should do nicely. Below is the link to its L7Audiolab measurements. Most USB audio interfaces have weak headphone amplifiers.

The Audient ID4 as measured by Amir has probably adequate output (2.7 Vrms into 300 ohm) for the HD660S. The HD660S are pretty easy to drive.

index.php

OP
C

Chickenripper

Thanks for the answer!
The device would also be used as the output for playback over speakers + amplifier.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
it's playback quality over a onboard-card.
A computer? Is there a problem with the built-in DAC?

sennheiser hd 660s, which do want to be driven nicely.
Not loud enough? Maybe you just need a headphone amplifier?

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the answer!
The device would also be used as the output for playback over speakers + amplifier.
You can also consider the Topping Dx3 Pro+. In the pre-amp mode, you can adjust volume of the RCA outputs in the back for driving active speakers or speaker amplifiers.

OP
C

Chickenripper

A computer? Is there a problem with the built-in DAC?

Not loud enough? Maybe you just need a headphone amplifier?
A computer yes. It's line out is harsh, yet still muffled and spaceless.

Maybe loud enough, but it sounds like crap compared to listening via babyface

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
There's no reason for it to be "harsh" unless it's over-driven or badly defective. And if a DAC is "over-driven" it's bad-clipped data being fed-into the DAC, not the DAC itself.

Muffled would imply a loss of high frequencies and that's almost certainly not the fault of the DAC. Sometimes with lower-impedance headphones, the headphone amplifier's output impedance is too high... And since headphone impedance isn't constant over the frequency range that can result in frequency response variations. But your headphones are 150 Ohms so that's not an issue.

I have no idea what "spaceless" is but that sounds like something related to acoustics.

Normally it there is any audible defect or "weakness" with a DAC, it's noise (hum, hiss, or whine in the background). Usually the frequency response and distortion are better than human hearing. And that's all there is to "sound quality" with electronics (noise distortion and frequency response). With speakers, & acoustics there are additional factors. See Audiophoolery.

Chesapeake HT

Very pleased with my JDS Labs Atom Amp+ and Atom DAC+. Use with Sennheiser HD650 headphones. Ordered the HEVI version of the amp. Both can be engraved if that interests you. Great service as well. (USA based). $265 total (taxes, shipping)

OP
C

Chickenripper

There's no reason for it to be "harsh" unless it's over-driven or badly defective. And if a DAC is "over-driven" it's bad-clipped data being fed-into the DAC, not the DAC itself.

Muffled would imply a loss of high frequencies and that's almost certainly not the fault of the DAC. Sometimes with lower-impedance headphones, the headphone amplifier's output impedance is too high... And since headphone impedance isn't constant over the frequency range that can result in frequency response variations. But your headphones are 150 Ohms so that's not an issue.

I have no idea what "spaceless" is but that sounds like something related to acoustics.

Normally it there is any audible defect or "weakness" with a DAC, it's noise (hum, hiss, or whine in the background). Usually the frequency response and distortion are better than human hearing. And that's all there is to "sound quality" with electronics (noise distortion and frequency response). With speakers, & acoustics there are additional factors. See Audiophoolery.
So I assume you would use the onboard soundchip?
Why does one then even need an external DAC besides powering headphones?

For my hearing there are distinguishable differences, but that might be just hallucinations.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Onboard audio has generally been perfectly serviceable for desktop speaker playback (if generally a bit quieter than dedicated devices) for years now. On some prebuilt machines in particular you may first have to get rid of insidious DSP software that's screwing up the sound (e.g. Waves Maxxaudio on newer Dells).

Ironically, if there's anything that a Scarlett gen3 headphone output should be able to drive decently, it's some 300 ohm Sennheisers.

What exactly did you use to perform the comparison? Almost sounds like a plug that's not inserted properly so you only get mono output.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I suggest the Schiit Magni+ headphone amp because it has higher power output than anything suggested so far, has protection circuitry and it is a clean OP amp design. Combine that with the Schiit Modi+ DAC or even the JDS Labs Atom + DAC. I never suggested the JDS Labs ATOM Amp+ because it has less power output than the Schiit Magni+. All the gear I suggested is manufactured in the USA and comes with a 2 year warranty. I have a Schiit headphone amp and the JDS Labs ATOM DAC+ myself and they work wonderfully and I use all the power available even if it is a higher power output Schiit model that power is useful and needed.

Jim Creek

I recently bought this from the Shitt’s “B-Stock & Discontinued” offerings. It‘s a great headphone amp for the money. Enjoyable, transparent balanced sound, good looking all metal construction. I wish the power switch was on the front tho. Otherwise it’s an excellent piece of gear.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I recently bought this from the Shitt’s “B-Stock & Discontinued” offerings. It‘s a great headphone amp for the money. Enjoyable, transparent balanced sound, good looking all metal construction. I wish the power switch was on the front tho. Otherwise it’s an excellent piece of gear.
I run mine very hard for several hours a day with music and the other ~10 hours it's doing sound for videos. Like the music is at just below clipping most of the time with hard rock, some rap bass stuff, a lot of jazz and some older and newer metal too. It sits atop the JDS LABS DAC+ and gets warm to touch but nothing more that I've noticed. I leave mine plugged in, always ON and I never disconnect it so it lives a easy life that way. I use Sennheiser HD 598SR headphones with it that are pretty efficient so it can get loud.

D

Deleted member 4708

Linsoul E1DA 9038D6K is fantastic for 130$. I use it with Senny HD650 and Focal Elex. Plenty of power, it is lowd at 50% volume. 60% is so loud,it is painful.

Mantra

Welcome to ASR!

If all you need is a DAC and headphone amplifier, the Topping DX1 should do nicely. Below is the link to its L7Audiolab measurements. Most USB audio interfaces have weak headphone amplifiers.

The Audient ID4 as measured by Amir has probably adequate output (2.7 Vrms into 300 ohm) for the HD660S. The HD660S are pretty easy to drive.

index.php
Hi @NTK
I'm looking for a exterlan audio card for my computer->dac->amp->speaker
not for headphones , does the Topping DX1 sound better with amps?
thanks

Linsoul E1DA 9038D6K is fantastic for 130$. I use it with Senny HD650 and Focal Elex. Plenty of power, it is lowd at 50% volume. 60% is so loud,it is painful.
Hi @NapoleonDynamite
i can't find in Europe
thanks
I suggest the Schiit Magni+ headphone amp because it has higher power output than anything suggested so far, has protection circuitry and it is a clean OP amp design. Combine that with the Schiit Modi+ DAC or even the JDS Labs Atom + DAC. I never suggested the JDS Labs ATOM Amp+ because it has less power output than the Schiit Magni+. All the gear I suggested is manufactured in the USA and comes with a 2 year warranty. I have a Schiit headphone amp and the JDS Labs ATOM DAC+ myself and they work wonderfully and I use all the power available even if it is a higher power output Schiit model that power is useful and needed.
hi @Doodski
do they work great with amps?
but in Europe , they pretty hard to find them
thanks

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi @NTK
I'm looking for a exterlan audio card for my computer->dac->amp->speaker
not for headphones , does the Topping DX1 sound better with amps?
thanks

Hi @NapoleonDynamite
i can't find in Europe
thanks

hi @Doodski
do they work great with amps?
but in Europe , they pretty hard to find them
thanks
Both JDS Labs and Schiit have global shipping.

nerdemoji

SMSL D12 or DL200 have best price to performance for a DAC/AMP with line outputs as far as I know

Mantra

Both JDS Labs and Schiit have global shipping.
hi
I prefer to buy from amazon or others
i have bought from Usa , blocked by customs duties
thanks
SMSL D12 or DL200 have best price to performance for a DAC/AMP with line outputs as far as I know
hi
do they perform with laptop windows or mac ->dac ->amp->speakers?
they looks interesting , do they their drivers?
I own a Scarlett Solo and it's not really a great dac ,and the drivers are a nightmare
thanks

Top Bottom