• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My cable length and thickness worries me

egellings

Major Contributor
True, although long XLR cables aren't free either.
My understanding is that XLR connectors are used in mostly small signal settings such as mic preamps. I'd prefer something a bit beefier for a large signal application, such as a power supply for a large amplifier or high-powered speakers.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My understanding is that XLR connectors are used in mostly small signal settings such as mic preamps. I'd prefer something a bit beefier for a large signal application, such as a power supply for a large amplifier or high-powered speakers.
I agree. I wouldn't do that, either.

Weren't we talking about long line-level runs?

egellings

Major Contributor
I agree. I wouldn't do that, either.

Weren't we talking about long line-level runs?
I came into the thread late and missed that. The XLR connector and its cabling would work well for long line level runs.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I came into the thread late and missed that. The XLR connector and its cabling would work well for long line level runs.
Yes, indeed. Pretty foolproof by design.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The premap to the mono blocks? It's not passing power, just the signal, right? Would it need a lot bigger wire gauge to do that?
No, just regular XLR cables.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

NoxMorbis

Dunno. Probably 24AWG in there, I guess.
I was assuming something like that. That would actually be a really good project. Man, I really like this idea. Okay, where are the cheap and clean mono-blocks?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was assuming something like that. That would actually be a really good project. Man, I really like this idea. Okay, where are the cheap and clean mono-blocks?
Plenty of class D ones with balanced input, described in various threads here.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Mono blocks?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you think this is a good idea?
I can't speak for Don, but some people claim sonic benefits. I'm somewhat skeptical, but it won't hurt anything.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Do you think this is a good idea?
Opinions vary. I like the idea but have rarely done it due to cost and need for electrical outlets near the speakers. Anecdotally in the primordial past I have measured a small difference but cannot say I have ever heard a difference in my systems. Here are the pros and cons off the cuff (not exhaustive):
  • The pro argument is that you place the amplifiers near the speakers so you can use a very short cable to the speakers, reducing the driving impedance (increasing the effective damping factor) that would otherwise be raised by longer cables.
    • For long speaker cables and/or low-impedance or difficult to drive speakers lower driving impedance can be advantageous.
    • Since the amplifier's input impedance is typically very high, preamp output impedance low, and signal levels are small (low voltage, current, power), long line-level cables do not have the loss issue long speaker cables would have.
    • Long line-level cables may cost less than long heavy-gauge (low AWG number) speaker cables.
  • The con arguments:
    • A pair of mono amps means two cases, power supplies, etc. and thus will take more space and cost more than a single stereo amplifier (per-channel).
    • You must have AC outlets for the amps near the speakers.
    • Potential for ground loops since the amplifiers' power connection is generally "far" from the preamp/processor and may be on a different circuit; usually obviated by balanced/XLR connections or double-insulated (two-prong) amplifier power cords.
    • Potential for EMI/RFI noise intrusion into the longer line-level cables (use good cables).
For shorter runs, perhaps around 20' or less, I'd just buy sufficiently large cables. For longer runs, it depends upon the speakers' impedance and amplifier characteristics (primarily output impedance). For myself, I start looking closely at around 50', or just use the wire tables referenced earlier. My main LCR speakers are fairly hard to drive but are within 20' even with extra cable to allow me to move them around for cleaning and such. I have 12 AWG on them. The rear speakers are the same (difficult) but I figure I'm less likely to notice any impact from the cables even though they are pushing 50', and I actually have 14 AWG on them (I bought a spool of 12 AWG several years ago but never got around to rewiring them).

Bottom line is I might consider monoblocks if I had very long runs to difficult-to-drive speakers but is not something I usually think about. If I see a pair of monoblocks close in price to a stereo amp I might get the pair just in case I use them that way in the future, even if for now they are side-by-side on a shelf. All my amps now are stereo or multichannel and I have more boxes than space now (one 2-ch, one 5-ch, one 4-ch amp plus my processor and BD player).

HTH - Don

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Three pin XLR connectors are rated at 16 Amps.
The more pins the connector has the less current.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There are better choices than XLR for power, in any event.

Top Bottom