• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Music to Cry For

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All along the watchtower riff, especially at the end of the song as the music fades and as Jimmy keeps going. Gives me goosebumps.
True.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Parts of these three all do it for me. I'll leave it to any interested parties to suss it out (or I'll share, in the extremely unlikely situation that someone cares). :)

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
András Schiff - Bachfest Leipzig 11.06.2010

French Suite No.3 in B minor BWV814

You can find the whole of the concert videos here.

In my post here and thereafter, we are now discussing about the amazing recording quality; we are still unable to identify, however, what microphone(s) were used, microphone settings, and other recording engineering/technique.

In any way, I believe this miracle concert by András Schiff is a kind of "World Music Heritage".

Andretti60

Having seen the movie, it is impossible to listen to this song without a tear dripping.
BTW i cried the whole movie, it reminded me so much of the memories of my parents (who were the age as the two siblings in the movie) and how much they suffered during WWII

Andretti60

For me it is not the music that makes me cry. It is because of what the music reminds me of.
I have always had pets in my life, pets have a short lifespan, nonetheless the loss of a pet is always a tragedy. Luca was a gentle cat, strong big and healthy, it passed away in just two days of illness, when he was still young, mercifully the vet put an end to his pain, then left me alone with him for few minutes. Even in his death, lying down in the examination table, he was still looking so big and strong, like he himself was not believing he was arrived at the end of his life. I sang for him, a song that was stuck in my mind after I have seen the movie, crying of course.
I never sung for a dead pet after that. I never listen to that song before today. And I sobbed.

we all go round and round
Partners are lost and found
Looking for one more chance
All I know is...
We're all in the dance.

Night and day
the music plays on
We are all part of the show
While we can hold on to someone
We know life won't let us

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For me it is not the music that makes me cry. It is because of what the music reminds me of.
I have always had pets in my life, pets have a short lifespan, nonetheless the loss of a pet is always a tragedy. Luca was a gentle cat, strong big and healthy, it passed away in just two days of illness, when he was still young, mercifully the vet put an end to his pain, then left me alone with him for few minutes. Even in his death, lying down in the examination table, he was still looking so big and strong, like he himself was not believing he was arrived at the end of his life. I sang for him, a song that was stuck in my mind after I have seen the movie, crying of course.
I never sung for a dead pet after that. I never listen to that song before today. And I sobbed.

I agree-music elicits memories of past experiences. I don't associate music with my beloved pets passing but something intangible I can't quite put my finger on but it's predictable with certain songs. I wish I knew why they brought me to tears...

Midnight Audiophile

Music makes me shed tears all the time. It's not an emotional reaction to sadness or something that it reminds me of, it's more like an ASMR reaction. It usually occurs at certain volume level and with really rocking music. It's like a reaction to hearing the magnitude of artistry of someone at their peak. It happens to me with Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, Duane Allman, SRV, Angus and Malcolm Young, Chris Cornell, Stephen Stills, Steve Gaines, Mick Taylor and many others.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Music makes me shed tears all the time. It's not an emotional reaction to sadness or something that it reminds me of, it's more like an ASMR reaction. It usually occurs at certain volume level and with really rocking music. It's like a reaction to hearing the magnitude of artistry of someone at their peak. It happens to me with Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, Duane Allman, SRV, Angus and Malcolm Young, Chris Cornell, Stephen Stills, Steve Gaines, Mick Taylor and many others.
I think I weep for the same reasons-usually loud, soaring guitar solos will do it if properly played.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Right on. Sky Dog's solo on this one always gets me. He was 22 when this was recorded:
Never heard that version and didn't know he played on other artists' music. Great solo btw! Thanks for sending.

Midnight Audiophile

Never heard that version and didn't know he played on other artists' music. Great solo btw! Thanks for sending.
Thanks!
Duane was a session guitarist playing with "the swampers" in Muscle Shoals, AL. He played on a number of famous tunes including several with Aretha Franklin. Eric Clapton told a story about when he heard that version of 'Hey Jude': "I remember hearing 'Hey Jude' by Wilson Pickett and calling either Ahmet Ertegun or Tom Dowd and saying, 'Who's that guitar player?...I just filed it away. To this day I've never heard better rock guitar playing on an R&B record, it's the best." After Cream broke up Clapton enlisted Duane to play with his new band Derek and the Dominos on the album 'Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs.' Duane played on ten of the thirteen tracks on that album with his solos on 'Layla' probably being the most widely recognized. Duane and Hendrix are the GOATs in my book.

Last edited:

Lattiboy

This whole album is extraordinary and sad, but this song is just…. my god the pain inside this guy.

He actually quit the band just after recording this for mental health reasons and you can tell why.

Also, it’s an incredible in-room recording. The sense of space and presence is off the charts good.

Top Bottom