• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Music is dead.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I'm not sure in what world Radiohead are not a "modern band". They're still producing cutting edge and innovative material. New music is new music, regardless of the age of the people making it.
It's always strange to realize the avante-garde of one's youth becomes the mainstays of one's old age. Radiohead was the happening thing thirty years ago.

Ain't it funny how time slips away?

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Thinking the past is better than the present is part of being human, imo. Goes well beyond just music, and I see it here and everywhere else. I hear it from my parents, and they heard it from theirs.
Its not really just nostalgia.
I try to think of any band that's as good as Nirvana or Radiohead, musicians as passionate as Kurt or Thom, songs as original and touching as they wrote nothing comes close in the past 20 years.
Everything is pretty much average
There's no new OK Computer, no new In Utero.
Nothing that blows your mind and is a true classic.

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Its not really just nostalgia.
I try to think of any band that's as good as Nirvana or Radiohead, musicians as passionate as Kurt or Thom, songs as original and touching as they wrote nothing comes close in the past 20 years.
Everything is pretty much average
There's no new OK Computer, no new In Utero.
Nothing that blows your mind and is a true classic.
You've just defined nostalgia.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
You've just defined nostalgia.
Lol
I don't connect on an emotional level to any new artist/ band I'm sure im not alone on this.
If music was so good today no one would have bothered with older music but its not happening

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is always a majority of dross which won't last.
It was probably the same in Beethoven's time, the thing is we only get to hear what was good enough to stand the test of time.
I am sure 5 to 10% of the music being produced today will last and you may well enjoy if you are persistent enough to plough through the dross to get to it.
In 10 years time the dross will have been forgotten and the good stuff still played and you will be able to be pleased that you found it early.

I am not following this advice myself btw - I am listening to Mahler 6 at present, so this will have been considered awful by a lot of people 120 years ago :)

Indeed. The past hits that we compare the modern hits to tend to be the cream of the crop, and the ones the stood the test of time.

Mahler is a great example! He was not well appreciated back then like he is today.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
It’s not so much that the bands such as Radiohead, nirvana etc that you mention were particularly special or outstanding, it’s to do with formative memory structure at a particular point of ones individual development that is a highlight of why we associate music to a memory of when things were better (subjective)

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sadly, rock has mostly run its course and is now the music that makes up golden oldies playlists.

Rock is unfortunately no longer pop. Zeppelin, The Guess Who, Queen, etc. were both rock and pop, as rock was what was most popular back then. I'm not sure when exactly Rock stopped being Pop, but I wish it still was. Much easier to find new artists for genres that get played on the radio.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There's plenty of good modern music, and much of it is coming from modern (i.e., young) artists.
It is easier to - ahem - access* now than it ever was, too, albeit at a price (i.e., virtually no broadcast radio of any merit is still extant), but sources like Bandcamp seem to be a win-win for artists and consumers (although I am far from expert on current trends in content delivery).

That said -- and tag-teaming off of @restorer-john's post earlier -- I found it both funny and sad, when our son was in college (2006-10) to see the dorm rooms and doors peppered with Pink Floyd and Grateful Dead posters. I mean, yeah... college (some things never change**), but "kids" deserve their own music and ethos, don't they?

Maybe it's different now; I dunno -- our kids are grownups now and one has two kids of her own. We'll see what the next generation's like, I suppose.

** or, as I like to say, as long as marijuana is popular, Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon will continue to be very popular. View attachment 129674

Late 60s to early 80s rock was(and still is) my favorite "genre" going into college, which was around the same time as your son(2008-2012). I love most rock, but that period in particular is my favorite. Lately, I'd say I'm really starting to a appreciate early to mid 90s rock. Not huge on 80s rock for some reason(but love 80s pop).

eriksson

Forum Donor
Friend of mine proposed a "theory" long time ago. His observation after partying hard for many years with different age groups was: People acquire taste in their teens and it sticks. Needless to say said taste is highly correlated to popular trends at the time. I think there is a grain of truth in this.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Who is the current Kurt Cobain?
Who is as insanely talented and passionate about music now days?
No artist.
The passion is gone and also the talent.
I don't buy this whole "getting old" theory
When you hear amazing music you are touched by it any age.
I have Deezer and Tidal subscriptions
I'm now more open to new music than I used to be, but nothing makes me feel like wow my mind is blown or makes me cry.
Kendrick.Lamar?
Deadmau5?
Taylor Swift?
Post Malone?
Billie eylish
All people rewriting the rules of their chosen space in.music.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s not so much that the bands such as Radiohead, nirvana etc that you mention were particularly special or outstanding, it’s to do with formative memory structure at a particular point of ones individual development that is a highlight of why we associate music to a memory of when things were better (subjective)

Is this why in 50%+ of my dreams I'm of school age and dealing with school issues? Elementary seems to be the most favored, given how tiny that period of my life was.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm assuming short hand for PJ Harvey, if there is someone else it's pased me by. PJ or Polly is only used in context or among people who know who she is, she isn't much more famous over here, the 'average man in the street' probably does not recognise the name. She has won the mercury prize twice which gets a passing mention in the news when it's announced. She has performed at the largest UK music awards which used to be broadcast live so plenty of exposure then, but I expect only fans remember it.

I took "PJ" as "Pearl Jam" since it was grouped with Nirvana and Radiohead.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I see that Billy Strings is now playing stadium shows.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't get this. There is so much music new and old and more accessible than ever. My problem is that now I listen to so much more and different music than I used to do that I don't become as familiar with my favorites as I used to.

This has become a problem for me recently. I'll know that there was an artist I discovered a few weeks ago and loved, but can no longer remember the name. I've started keeping a new music notes file to write down new artists I find.

Daverz

Major Contributor
I lost touch with contemporary pop music sometime in my late 20s. The last then current band I was into was the Pixies. I missed the whole grunge thing. My listening now is probably 99% classical (mostly from the Baroque period to some current more traditionalist composers).

That said, I've found Radio Paradise a good way to get back in touch, since they play of mix of current and classic pop/rock, probably selected to appeal to geezers like me. There's also the "Indie Pop" channel on SomaFM, which I find enjoyable in small amounts, since a certain sameness tends to set in after a while.

Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This has become a problem for me recently. I'll know that there was an artist I discovered a few weeks ago and loved, but can no longer remember the name. I've started keeping a new music notes file to write down new artists I find.
If I hear something I like I make it a favourite on Qobuz, which makes it easy to find and check out again. If it stands the test of time I buy the CD, if not I remove from favourites.
It is what I use streaming for.

Andysu

Major Contributor
Ha! I was at that recording session. :D
Acid for LSO

While playing 'ALIENS', I noticed the cyan colour on the sony-video-cam and it started to vex me, so I ranted and adjusted the iris, ISO so to minimize that disgusting colour artifact.

I may spin the PAL analog laserdisc 'ALIENS' side 3 CAV later today to compare with no can't really compare music mixes are different frequency compared to film mix vs music. Still I give the laserdisc a spin its the buzz effect of that movie when it played at the local odeon with side/rear and Overhead surrounds an auditorium that was truly Dolby Stereo surrounded for Star Wars.

Semla

I lost touch with contemporary pop music sometime in my late 20s. The last then current band I was into was the Pixies. I missed the whole grunge thing.
Obligatory Cobain quote:
I was trying to write the ultimate pop song. I was basically trying to rip off the Pixies. I have to admit it [smiles]. When I heard the Pixies for the first time, I connected with that band so heavily I should have been in that band — or at least in a Pixies cover band. We used their sense of dynamics, being soft and quiet and then loud and hard.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
There isn't one modern rock band that even comes close to Radiohead, Nirvana, PJ etc..
No artist that comes close to MJ
No new Bob Dylan, no new Jeff Buckley etc...
Well you get my point.
Humm,
Though I might agree with you but I have issues with the named artists you hold in high regard.
MJ, really??? ah yea he could dance pretty good. LOL

Top Bottom