• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Multiple Stereo AMPS ?

JustasG

Hi All,

Can you please share more detail about using multiple amps. Let's say, i'm using an AB class integrated amplifier and additionally a more powerful class D amplifier before connecting to the speakers. Do i lose sound quality ? double distortion?

Thanks

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Hi All,

Can you please share more detail about using multiple amps. Let's say, i'm using an AB class integrated amplifier and additionally a more powerful class D amplifier before connecting to the speakers. Do i lose sound quality ? double distortion?

Thanks

To clarify, are you saying to run from one power amp directly into another power amp, then to a pair of speakers?

You will likely not be happy with that result, and depending on the protection circuitry you could make a lot of smoke.

Generally speaking, power amps are designed to take a low level signal and make it bigger, not to start with an amplified signal.

What are the specs of the amps you are talking about? Getting more power generally means buying a more powerful amp, not running less powerful amps together.

Am I understanding your question?

OP
J

JustasG

i'm very inexperienced on these matters. Thanks. I was thinking, maybe integrated amp can work as a preamp.... in case required. I'm looking to buy an amp, and the choosing between Musical Fidelity M3si and M5si. Was thinking on saving a bit money here and adding a purify amp some time in the future. I might do that whatsoever... and just use M3si for mono listening, but still, 75wpc are limiting my speaker options in the future. M5si seems a more logical amp to go for.

Zek

Major Contributor
and just use M3si for mono listening
Why are you using M3si in mono, when it's a stereo integrated amplifier.
Would you be more specific in your question, please.

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you tell us your set up and your future plans it might be easier to advise you.

We need to know your sources - PC, vinyl, CD etc.. Digital sources will require a DAC somewhere. Vinyl requires a phono amp which is either in the turntable, a separate box or a special input on the pre-amp or integrated amp. Multiple sources will need some sort of pre-amp or integrated amp. These will allow all your sources to be fed to one (power) amp. Integrated amps contain both a pre-amp and power amp. Integrated amps and pre-amps (and DACs that can act as pre-amps) have a volume control. Power amps do not have a volume control.

Some people do use multiple in amps. This is for example where they use one amp to power the tweeters and mid range drives, and another to power the woofers (known as bi-amping).

OP
J

JustasG

@Hipper

Sources:
Short term - streaming
Long term - vinyl

My set up would be a streaming dac + integrated amp with phono + speakers. +TT later (Rega Planar 3).

streaming dac: GUSTARD DAC-X16 with 2x ES9068AS chips or SMSL SU-9 DAC with ES9038Pro
integrated amp: Musical Fidelity M3SI (800 EUR) or Musical Fidelity M5SI (1200 EUR)
speakers: Quad S-4 (already bought)

As for the DAC, i like the SMSL design better and it's 50EUR cheaper. As per amirs reviews of both units, Gustard seems only slightly better. Wonder if i should spend that 50 EUR on MOGAMI 3104 cables etc.
Quad S-4 are not so power hungry and i doubt i would have any problem with M3si amp, but based on the reviews, M5si sound is close to M6si, which is somewhat brilliant (i haven't heard really). Also, it's being mentioned that both amps perform better than you would expect based on their specs. I would consider M5si more future proof in case i would have more space for better speakers, but surely power is not the only aspect in the sound quality, if i would go with better speakers, they would probably be much better than the Quad S-4, then, the M5si is questionable if it wouldn't bottleneck the "better" speakers, leading me to a search for a new amp.

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You are right that the first priority is to find an amp that will power your speakers and fill your room with sound - room size is also a factor here - as well as catering for your sources.

I would just consider your current needs plus immediate future needs. Getting an amp for some vague future speaker purchase seems unwise as your tastes and options (finances, where you live, room) may all change, as might the technology.

Do you think you might want to use headphones? Some DACs or integrated amps have headphone outputs.

Both your proposed DACs seem to have volume control. This means you could connect them direct to a power amp. This idea would not be so practical though if you intend to use other sources.

If you really intend to use vinyl then an integrated amp would seem best in that case, making sure that the phono stage in the amp matches the turntable's cartridge [moving magnet (MM) or moving coil (MC)]. I'm no expert on turntables but it seems with the Rega Planar 3 you can choose what cartridge to use. I understand there are phono pre-amps that have a volume control which may mean you can still use a power amp but I don't know enough about the whole vinyl experience to offer advice here.

One thing all your proposed equipment does not have is any form of tone controls or equaliser. Whilst these things were frowned on for a time you may find that what you hear needs some adjusting to get it to your liking. The sound in your room is affected a lot by your room and where you place your speakers and listening position. In addition, recordings are of inconsistent quality, some bass heavy etc.. I think most on here would advice some solution to these issues. Check out this forum on this site:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-acoustics-and-general-speaker-discussions.9/

It's a complicated business so I suggest you just bare this in mind for the moment, consider tone controls when looking at amps, or a small digital equaliser, and see what moving your speakers and listening chair to different positions in the room can do.

On cables, just use what comes with your gear for the moment, or buy cheapish stuff. Most on here agree that expensive cables are a waste of money and even if they make a difference it is tiny compared to positioning/equalisers/DSP or getting better speakers.

Top Bottom