• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Multiple pairs of speakers selector "switch"

Ajax

Forum Donor
Hi All,

I have 3 music zones (back patio, front porch & internal speakers) that I wish to feed from the same source and I am looking for a high quality speaker switch.

I do NOT require any of the zones to be on at the same time and therefore will not be placing additional load on the amp. I just need a simple switch that will maintain the integrity (quality) of the signal without the need for additional resistors etc in the signal path. At the moment I am simply unplugging and plugging in the speaker cables from the back of the amp (Parasound Halo 21).

I know there are a lot of inexpensive (and some expensive) speaker selectors on Amazon, however, these are designed to play multiple pairs of speakers at the same time and will degrade the sound.

Does anyone know of a simple speaker switch that I can locate between the amp and several pairs of speakers that will allow me to select each pair one at a time.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

Ajax

QMuse

Major Contributor
Hi All,

I have 3 music zones (back patio, front porch & internal speakers) that I wish to feed from the same source and I am looking for a high quality speaker switch.

I do NOT require any of the zones to be on at the same time and therefore will not be placing additional load on the amp. I just need a simple switch that will maintain the integrity (quality) of the signal without the need for additional resistors etc in the signal path. At the moment I am simply unplugging and plugging in the speaker cables from the back of the amp (Parasound Halo 21).

I know there are a lot of inexpensive (and some expensive) speaker selectors on Amazon, however, these are designed to play multiple pairs of speakers at the same time and will degrade the sound.

Does anyone know of a simple speaker switch that I can locate between the amp and several pairs of speakers that will allow me to select each pair one at a time.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

Ajax

I'm using this one, it works well for me.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Those cheap speaker connectors don't really encourage trust.

Then spend more.

I'd have a hard time finding one for my speakers:

1584651406302.png

But, no need.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
Ajax

Ajax

Forum Donor
Thanks Ray - I ordered the unit as it is not expensive and worth a try. I like the fact you can override the protection circuit so it might be just what I want.

Thanks Q, but the unit you suggested is limited to 2 zones, I have 3.

Thank you both for making the effort to help me, much appreciated.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Thanks Ray

You're welcome.

Hope it works for you.

It was just a suggestion, no experience with the things, but they can't be too complicated.

If you have an ohmmeter, check the amplifier side, and see what happens (short would be bad) as you operate the selector switches.

Suggestion: If shorts appear (shouldn't), turn off the amp before changing outputs.

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I use an Adcom GFS6 to switch between my collection of speakers.

tonybarrett

Bump. The simple Dynavox speaker switch (similar to others) is rated at max 200w rms per channel. Would bad things happen if I attach a 500w per channel class-D amp? I‘m sure I’d never use the 500w for stereo playback. It’s just there to provide headroom when playing movie surround. Thanks

Top Bottom