• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

looking for a speaker switching box (?)

dmoss74

hi.

my current setup is a 5.1 audio through a yamaha avr. what i'd like to do is add a wiim amp for audio only (2.1).

i know there are speaker selector/switching units, but i don't have any reference to them. can someone recommend a reasonably priced unit for my needs? i'll be using the same sub and front mains with the wiim amp.

thanks

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
The test is just for the meter part though, not the switching. Some speaker switches treat the -ve terminals as common which is fine if the amps aren't bridged but a problem if they are. A lot of the recent Class D amps are bridged - I _think_ this probably includes the Wiim. The bridged ones require the -ve terminals to be switched too, not just the +ve ones. In either case it's safest to do the switching with both amps turned off.

Zek

Major Contributor
If the -ve terminals are not separated, then such a switcher should not be used with most class D amplifiers.

diablo

Forum Donor
The test is just for the meter part though, not the switching. Some speaker switches treat the -ve terminals as common which is fine if the amps aren't bridged but a problem if they are. A lot of the recent Class D amps are bridged - I _think_ this probably includes the Wiim. The bridged ones require the -ve terminals to be switched too, not just the +ve ones. In either case it's safest to do the switching with both amps turned off.
The advert for these says "All channels adopt fully isolation design, each channel's GND is independent without mutual interference. Supports all kinds of amplifier such as BTL / class A / class B / class D digital amplifier / tube amplifier etc."

- so should be okay. :)

Top Bottom