• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MOTU UltraLite Mk5, New Audio Interface Generation With New Drivers, USB-C & More

Tks

Major Contributor
Ehhh, what's wrong with them? I like Amphenol's stuff.

I've had the locking variant go bust and become quite difficult to remove a cable from the connector. Never had an issue with the newer gen Neutrik connectors though.

If you use non-locking connectors, you should be fine.

D

Deleted member 12642

the locking XLR seem really unnecessary, but otherwise I'm super happy with my m4 and would love to get something with dsp. No latency on monitoring makes a big difference.

sfabio

I hope that in this new version, the volume knob on the front can control all ten channels at the same time and not only the two main ones, or that somehow they can be connected as in the RME mixer :)
Edit: I have just seen that in the new cuemix 5 is possible to link together various channels as in the RME mixer ;)

Last edited:

Chrise36

Major Contributor
the locking XLR seem really unnecessary, but otherwise I'm super happy with my m4 and would love to get something with dsp. No latency on monitoring makes a big difference.
How would you deal with the delay if you want an active crossover on the M4?

Mountain Goat

Forum Donor
Would love to see this tested!

Does anyone know first hand if the drivers work in surround for windows apps like dvdfab blu ray player in 7.1 blu ray or 5.1 on the Netflix App. (Motu 828ES does work) But this has new drivers/software so would be good to know! Might be the cheapest computer surround sound setup available with great conversion!

I'm sending mine in.

Amateur

Forum Donor
I'm sending mine in.

For testing? That would be great, many thanks to you.

I'm interested in this both as a mic interface and as a multichannel playback device since the Okto dac8 Pro is no longer available for ordering. I emailed Motu asking if this can be used as a 7.1 playback device, as sm5 mentioned the 828es can, but unfortunately they never responded.

andrewjohn007

Forum Donor
I'm guessing Amir will test mine in the next few weeks. I'm not going to nag him about it. I know the queue is large and there's only so many hours he can test. It worries me that he posts reviews in the middle of the night, don't want to see him getting burnt out.
Thank you for sending your unit in! I will anxiously await the results before deciding on whether or not to pull the plug. Looking to run this with a MacBook Air and JRiver for a surround system. Fingers crossed that it does well. Again, I appreciate it much as your timing couldn't have been better.

jonljacobi

All the scuttlebutt and experiences I've read about so far would indicate that the numbers should be good. But I too am waiting for this or Julian Krause to confirm.

andrewjohn007

Forum Donor
"The UltraLite-mk5 includes renowned ESS Sabre32™ DAC technology, featuring the ES9026PRO DAC, to deliver measured 125 dB dynamic range and -114 dB THD+N."

I am listening to it right now through 8 channels and it sounds lovely...

Addy

"The UltraLite-mk5 includes renowned ESS Sabre32™ DAC technology, featuring the ES9026PRO DAC, to deliver measured 125 dB dynamic range and -114 dB THD+N."

I am listening to it right now through 8 channels and it sounds lovely...
Wow, just thinking with dsp it like a xmos system.

Tks

Major Contributor
So aside from the pointless inclusion of an 1-bit OLED screen that removed the ability for color evident sound level perception on a glance like Julian said about knowing if a signal is clipping (these can still have burn-in effects for those wondering), and the crosstalk being an oversight (~20dB worse than even their M2 for example), and the on-paper slight knock on the front inputs being a hair worse. This thing seems to be pretty great overall. Lots of channels, and at a good price given all the functionality.

Taswegian

I'm very close to investing in this interface. All that's holding me back is another deal I can get on an RME UCX, heavily reduced but still an extra $700 AUD. The Ultralite MK 5 is $900 AUD here and the UCX usually retails at $2500. I'm not sure exactly what I would gain as far as the hardware is concerned but the software might be the deciding variable. Given the downgrades in CueMix 5, would TotalMix FX bring a lot more to the table as far as the DSP and routing is concerned? I'm very much new to all this, trying to do as much research as I can before laying down the cash and wanting to use the device for some live streaming, live solo/duo practice/performance as well as some work with a DAW. I'm willing to spend the extra bills on the UCX, if it's viable thing to do. Otherwise I'll put the cash toward some outboard gear. If anyone has experience or knowledge on both and can offer some advice on which direction to go it would be appreciated.

Taswegian

Effects are disabled at 4x sample rates (176.4 or 192 kHz), could be a deal breaker?

Top Bottom