• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

More power for KEF reference 5?

soerenssen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
0.5W power consumption in standby??
The NCx500 consumes 18W per channel.

Everett T

Forum Donor
I contacted KEF to ask for amp recommendations for the Reference 3 Meta and this is what they told me:
- they don´t have experience with NCx500 amps but they do have concerns about using Class D amps in this performance class - the Class D amps that they know sound a bit "cold and harsh"
- their recommendation was the Hegel 390 or 590 integrated amp
- ultimately, one should listen first and buy after listening

I haven't tested the speakers with the NCx500 yet, but I'm now considering opamps like Sparkos / Sonic Imagery - although @amirm 's review is putting me off a bit:
I'm schocked they said this. Wouldn't think that Burno Putzey has a problem running class D in his Kii Three :D

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
thats the MONO purifi in the cheap case
This is the

1ET400A​

This was was reviewed here, 1500 EUR~

EDIT: Ah lmao you pointed these were the MONO, well i guess the cheap smaller case from the MONO purifi is fine (?) i don't know man im happy with my stereo purifi
EDIT2: i can't find the mono NCx500 from audiophonics, but the NCx500 is at 1400 EUR~

Last edited:

soerenssen

thats the MONO purifi in the cheap case
This is the

1ET400A​

This was was reviewed here, 1500 EUR~

EDIT: Ah lmao you pointed these were the MONO, well i guess the cheap smaller case from the MONO purifi is fine (?) i don't know man im happy with my stereo purifi
EDIT2: i can't find the mono NCx500 from audiophonics, but the NCx500 is at 1400 EUR~
Yes these are monos. Unfortunately Audiophonics doesn't make mono NCx500 amps.

soerenssen

My only concern is the single PSU being a limitation in these stereo amps. I have an Audiophonics HPA-S600NCX here, but it will go back because it's not dual mono.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
My only concern is the single PSU being a limitation in these stereo amps. I have an Audiophonics HPA-S600NCX here, but it will go back because it's not dual mono.
The PSU is 1500w, is a beefy PSU. To be honest a mono purifi like these are something for Blades or reference 5

soerenssen

KEF R7: 88dB, 250W, 3.2ohm
KEF Ref 3: 86dB, 300W, 3.2ohm
KEF recommends 60-110% of the power rating.
SMPS1200A700 is 1200W (slightly more with 230V here in Germany), and 325W continuous.
Sandu from soundnews is driving them with 2x bridged mono AHB2 (pure 500W at 4ohm).

Edit: it's no so much about the max. power, but rather the max clean power, with low, inaudible distortion.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Yep, but remember i got -12dB

so is like 76dB@1W for my R7, lol. But i don't know how its work the efficiency if you down the preamp.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
SMPS1200A700 is 1200W (slightly more with 230V here in Germany), and 325W continuous.
Sandu from soundnews is driving them with 2x bridged mono AHB2 (pure 500W at 4ohm).
And remember, the purifi is 425w@1%. And in mono is like what? 800w-1kW? xD thats why im saying these mono are for ref5/blades

soerenssen

Btw, I'm with you regarding the Audiophonics amp. This larger case is really nice and robust, with heat sinks on both sides, large holes on the top and at the bottom. It's really a pity that it has only a single PSU.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Btw, I'm with you regarding the Audiophonics amp. This larger case is really nice and robust, with heat sinks on both sides, large holes on the top and at the bottom. It's really a pity that it has only a single PSU.
I remember there was a dual mono build from audiophnics, i dont see them. Maybe you can send a email to audiophonic to see if they can make a mono purifi with the nice case and separate box for mono.. i don't know! just ask them.
Edit: i don't recommend to put these dual psu in that case... i mean is not very standard.. is better separate box and mono if you want absurd amount of power with no problems, i mean.. its a 1500w tank o_O ..

@Audiophonics ?

quattro98

Forum Donor
The volume setting one uses largely depends on the gain in the system (source, preamp/processor, amp). A lower power amplifier can be made to have more gain and vice versa, so this isn't really indicative of amplifier power.

soerenssen

I remember there was a dual mono build from audiophnics, i dont see them. Maybe you can send a email to audiophonic to see if they can make a mono purifi with the nice case and separate box for mono.. i don't know! just ask them.
Edit: i don't recommend to put these dual psu in that case... i mean is not very standard.. is better separate box and mono if you want absurd amount of power with no problems, i mean.. its a 1500w tank o_O ..

@Audiophonics ?
Yes, the idea is to have 2 completely separate mono block. That would pretty much guarantee that the speaker is not underpowered in any circumstances and even after a speaker upgrade (if I cannot make the KEFs sound right with this amp).

SvanTeK

I own a pair of AUDIOPHONICS MPA-M400ET. The sound is harsh and a ringing, it's simply very bad. I don't understand that amplifiers that measure so good sounds so bad.

soerenssen

I own a pair of AUDIOPHONICS MPA-M400ET. The sound is harsh and a ringing, it's simply very bad. I don't understand that amplifiers that measure so good sounds so bad.
Did you try with other amps?

Willem

Major Contributor
This is indeed a largish room, particularly with the open end. My Quad 2805s cannot handle more than the 2x140 watt from the Quad 606-2 power amp, but they felt a little bit strained (in a larger room). What helped was a high pass filter and three subwoofers. In your case, that could be an alternative strategy to get more headroom.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
This is indeed a largish room, particularly with the open end. My Quad 2805s cannot handle more than the 2x140 watt from the Quad 606-2 power amp, but they felt a little bit strained (in a larger room). What helped was a high pass filter and three subwoofers. In your case, that could be an alternative strategy to get more headroom.
Yep.

Most of the Reference speakers have their lowest impedance around 40ish Hz plus minus (at least mine Ref 3 has). Offloading this area to active subs is a very good strategy, even more for reasons of room mode minimization. I use 2 subs (KEF 92s) crossed at 80Hz

(I also have “strong” power amps (380W into 4ohm), but it is debatable if I would really need them, if the SPL requirements are not too high).

Top Bottom